You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyperlinks within textframes

First off my compliment to another promising looking update with a lot of refinements and even new features.

Here's my find:
I did expect that it is possible to highlight a couple of words within a textframe and assign a hyperlink to them. This does not work, the 'Insert Hyperlink...' remains greyed out.

I was able to assign a hyperlink to an entire text frame, though.

What am I missing?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

14 minutes ago, dominik said:

I did expect that it is possible to highlight a couple of words within a textframe and assign a hyperlink to them. This does not work, the 'Insert Hyperlink...' remains greyed out.

That works for me, in several tests I've done today.

Can you view the Hyperlinks Studio (View > Studio > Hyperlinks)? If not, perhaps you need a Ctrl run-up of Publisher to fully enable the function?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

That works for me, in several tests I've done today.

Can you view the Hyperlinks Studio (View > Studio > Hyperlinks)? If not, perhaps you need a Ctrl run-up of Publisher to fully enable the function?

Hi @walt.farrell,

thanks for the heads up. I did CTRL run-up of Publisher with a complete reset of everything.

I have figured out that it is possible to assign Hyperlinks to Anchors if they are in different text frames.

It does not seem to be possible within multiple linked text frames. Can you confirm this?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

7 minutes ago, dominik said:

It does not seem to be possible within multiple linked text frames. Can you confirm this?

Sorry, but no, I cannot confirm that. For me they work between linked or unlinked text frames.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry, but no, I cannot confirm that. For me they work between linked or unlinked text frames.

Thankyou for that :)

The first try I made in a complex and long document with 400+ pages that originated from a LibreOffice document with a lot of formatting.

For a second try I created a new document with Lorem Ipsum text and I got it to work.
Great.

I'll have a closer look at long documents to see if I can find a rule :)

d.

I'd also be interested to know if you've found a way, within Publisher, to traverse (follow) links so you can see where they lead. I haven't found one yet, and I imagine that with any document of significant length that this would become a problem.

I suppose it's possible that this part of the hyperlink function is still under development as Adam's announcement said this was the initial implementation of hyperlinks :)

-- Walt
PC:

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I'd also be interested to know if you've found a way, within Publisher, to traverse (follow) links so you can see where they lead. I haven't found one yet, and I imagine that with any document of significant length that this would become a problem.

We certainly have to take into account that this is an early implementation of this new functionality :)

You can follow a link to it's destination by highlighting it in the 'Hyperlink Studio' and then click on that little (right) circle at the bottom of this palette that has something like a crosshair in it. Otherway round you can jump to the source of a hyperlink by clicking on the left circle.

I did some more testing with a long document. With the 400+ pages document mentioned above hyperlinks do not work well. This may be due to the complexity of the document and I haven't found a way to single out a reproducable case as a start for debugging.

I created another medium long document with filler text and no formatting. Hyperlinks do work as expected :)

I'll try and see if I can drill down in the other faulty document the source for the malfunction.

d.

I reduced the above mentioned long document to only 4 pages (note: it is a test document and does not look very good). See attachment.

There are two anchors at the very end behind the words 'Anker 1' and 'Anker 2'.

There are two words 'Link 1' and 'Link 2' at the beginning of the document.

If I highlight these words (or any other text) in menu 'Text > Interactive ...' the term 'Insert Hyperlink...' is greyed out.

Can anyone reproduce this?

d.

No_Hyperlinks.afpub

@dominik
Yes, i can reproduce it here.
It´s the same behavior as yours.

Look at the screenshot below plaese. I  highlightet "Klaus Heuser" and "Insert Hyperlink" is greyed out.
I think this is what you mean or not?

32810652_ScreenShot001.JPG.7ba2d79619cdbd89b2103db49e620b8e.JPG

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

14 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

@dominik

I think this is what you mean or not?

Hi @Uwe367,

this is exactly what I am seeing. In other documents this works. So there must be something about this particular document that causes this. I just don't have no idea what that might be.

d.

@dominik
Yes, you are right. I tested it with a single page and there it works. I tested it also with two single pages in one document which are not linked and there it works too.

EDIT
But now i made a test with a longer text and that the two single pages are linked and there it works too. I don´t know, but it seems that this behavior is only with this one document that you posted.

1405364595_ScreenShot.thumb.JPG.7578e5349f642b24b8c141028a5bd4e5.JPG

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

22 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

but it seems that this behavior is only with this one document that you posted.

This is exactly why I posted this document :)

I hope that one of the moderators can eventually give it to development. Or another forumster can come up with a clue what is going on.

d.

I think I narrowed down the source of the problem.

In the APub file posted above the text frames are located on a master page and filled by the relatively new feature 'Edit Content Detached'.

In the other files the text frames were located on the pages themselves.

Can someone confirm this?

d.

12 minutes ago, dominik said:

This is exactly why I posted this document :)
I hope that one of the moderators can eventually give it to development. Or another forumster can come up with a clue what is going on.

Did you create the said document in a previous APub version? Maybe the document is not completely compatible with the new beta?!

Just now, Michail said:

Did you create the said document in a previous APub version? Maybe the document is not completely compatible with the new beta?!

This is true. The document was created in an elder version of APub.

But the tests I did with hyperlinks in text frames on master pages (see my previous post) were performed in a newly created document in .238

d.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:56 AM, dominik said:

I think I narrowed down the source of the problem.

In the APub file posted above the text frames are located on a master page and filled by the relatively new feature 'Edit Content Detached'.

In the other files the text frames were located on the pages themselves.

Can someone confirm this?

Yes, I can confirm that. In a new document, I can create hyperlinks in text frames drawn directly on a document page, but I cannot create them in text frames inherited from a master page.

-- Walt
PC:

On 2/8/2019 at 7:14 PM, walt.farrell said:

I can not run view>studio>hyperlinks, it doesn't work for me.

I noticed one more problem with hyperlinks. If I create artistic text with hyperlink, the next artistic texts objects will have blank hyperlinks and it can not turn them off in any way. Adobe Reader shows me a blank address as "https: //" when I hover the object This error does not occur in work with text frames, only with artistic text.

Dell Precision T7910, 2x Xeon E5-2630v3, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro K6000, Dell UP2716D, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO
Dell Precision T3640, Xeon W1290, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro RTX 5000, Eizo CG319X, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO FWS
-----

Graphic software: Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher - Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat - Zoner Photo Studio - Topaz Gigapixel Ai, Denoise Ai, Sharpen Ai

15 minutes ago, souacz said:

I can not run view>studio>hyperlinks, it doesn't work for me.

Then, quit Publisher, press and hold Ctrl, start Publisher, release Ctrl when the dialog appears (or the icon appears in the Windows Taskbar). Leave the first 3 options set, and press Reset.

-- Walt
PC:

Thank you very much, I made only studio reset, it helped and partially solved the problem with unwanted links in Art Text, now I can delete links in hyperlinks panel.

Dell Precision T7910, 2x Xeon E5-2630v3, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro K6000, Dell UP2716D, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO
Dell Precision T3640, Xeon W1290, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro RTX 5000, Eizo CG319X, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO FWS
-----

Graphic software: Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher - Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat - Zoner Photo Studio - Topaz Gigapixel Ai, Denoise Ai, Sharpen Ai

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.