You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MOVING FROM LIGHTROOM TO AFFINITY WITH EDITS

HI

I and at the moment using Lightroom 6.14 and really could not afford the expense of transferring to CC, I am pretty new to Affinity although I have had for a while, in fact just started to learn how to use, at moment following my Lightroom editing flow and making myself happy with how I can use a similar procedure with Affinity and move across totally.

My big concern is that on the next IOS Update sometime in October / September Lightroom 6.14 will not work as they are setting for operation of 64 bit programmes only and Lightroom 6.14 is 32 bit, hence my panic of trying to move across but due to the edits of raw files in Lightroom being in a Library I don't believe all my edits are able to move across to Affinity and I have literally thousand of images that have been processed in Lightroom, I also bought a MacBook Air Christmas time so I could travel to New Zealand in November this year and continue adding to the catalog so that I would not have such a workload getting back home, but now the deadline for a none functional Lightroom 6.14 looms.

I have heard that Serif may be looking into a Lightroom equivalent that will allow all my edited images be transferred to Affinity not sure how imminent this would be but am I right in saying that at the present moment I could put all my Raw files to Affinity but would have to re-edit them all from square 1?

• Staff

Hi George Williams,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Yes, we are looking into a DAM software but other than that there's no additional info on its scope (just a DAM or a DAM with a RAW developer integrated) or integration/support with third-party apps. We are still far away from a release. You can export all RAW files from Lightroom and open them in Affinity but you will have to develop them from scratch. Affinity apps don't support XMP sidecar files.

Hi Meb

Many thanks for your response, and I now know what is needed on transferring across to Affinity, may be good thing to restart and re-edit my photos within Affinity top give me a basic grounding although there are quite a lot. I have two identical Hard Drives one as a back up with all the Basic Raw files and one I use alongside Lightroom that houses the edits so I can use the none edited version to make a start in Affinity and retain my Lightroom HD to await and see how the DAM is generated it may then help to transfer some of the edits across at a later date, hope so will as it will save a lot of work that has taken a few years to generate.

Many thanks again for your quick and informative response.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:33 PM, MEB said:

Hi George Williams,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Yes, we are looking into a DAM software but other than that there's no additional info on its scope (just a DAM or a DAM with a RAW developer integrated) or integration/support with third-party apps. We are still far away from a release. You can export all RAW files from Lightroom and open them in Affinity but you will have to develop them from scratch. Affinity apps don't support XMP sidecar files.

Hi @MEB

Happy to read that but please will that DAM be included (kind of persona) into APhoto or will it be a complete total separate software. 

I would be glad to have it hadone a persona and not have to download something else that may lead to much headaches and learning again. 

Please get inspired by Luminar 3 and Capture One Pro 12 and the way they implemented it while making the affinity DAM much attractive, easy to learn and use, not a resources consuming thing but more intelligent and powerful. 

All this is reachable as you are a team of genius. 

Blessings ! 

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• 1 year later...

hello all,

I am not sure my question is dealing with the same subject, just let me know about that and I will change the entry.

I am working on Mac, with Lightroom Classic (Version 9.3) and Affinity Photo 1.8 . As  i am  comfortable with affinity, I have set the external editor of LR to be able to modify my pictures from LR to Affinity ( I did that by the past wit LR 6 and 5 and the workflow worked very well) But now, when I quit Affinity photo there is no automatic save to LR. I have to export my picture from LR to the repository where stands my original picture and resynchronize the repository with LR to be able to see my modification in LR. Is it working as designed ? this is not very usefull or efficient in that way .. 

Or do I have miss something ?

Thanks a lot for your help