You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello People 

Hello teams. 

I know you are busy with top notch stuff but it seems like you have forgotten to add the Close All into Affinity Publisher.

Yet if I have more than one project file open I can't close them all at once but need to close one by one. This is good but can get anoying if I have 15 tab to close.

I've noticed there is no Close All implemented into the recent beta of APhoto and ADesigner so... maybe it is time to correct it or to explain the philosophy behind such choice (if it one and if there is a philosophy)

Note that projects are often more about compositions with objects copied from many sources and when finished (we often leave tabs open just in case) then comes the time to close the software in a non brutal way (the brutal way often leads to crash or bugs)

So please implement that and tweak it more than what it should be. 

Blessings 

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

1 minute ago, Sean P said:

Hi Uncle Mez,

This is something that is already with development, so I've given it a little bump on your behalf! :) 

Are you a Super Hero? 

I ask Because you are so quick to come with answers that bring particular peace.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Close All has been on the features request list/forum since at least June 2015 and has been requested numerous times since then

Super Heroes & bumping aside, I think we would just be happy to see it implemented, only then will there be actual peace regarding this request

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Close All already exists, in a way, at least on Windows. Just File > Exit the Affinity application you're using (or click the X icon on Windows). All open tabs will be closed, though some will prompt you to save or discard changes you may have made.

So my question would be: Do you want a Close All that leaves the application open? Or do you want a Close All that doesn't prompt but simply Saves all changed files that are already named, or one that simply discards all changes?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Close all should close all files that have not been changed

Close all should prompt to save (or not) any file that has been changed

Close all should prompt to save any unnamed file that has been created within that session

The application should remain open after close all has completed

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Close all should prompt to save (or not) any file that has been changed

Close all should prompt to save any unnamed file that has been created within that session

Just to build on this, if there is more than one, ideally this should be one prompt with a list of the modified files so we can check which ones we want to save, and not 50 prompts for 50 open modified files.

3 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Just to build on this, if there is more than one, ideally this should be one prompt with a list of the modified files so we can check which ones we want to save, and not 50 prompts for 50 open modified files.

I would have to disagree with that

The way it works in PS and in Affinity when you do a File > Exit, is that the document about to close is bought to the front of the screen so you can what file it is and make the correct decision to save it or not.

If you were presented with just a list of say, 50 file names it would be impossible to remember which ones you want to save or not without some sort of visual representation of the file

8 minutes ago, carl123 said:

If you were presented with just a list of say, 50 file names it would be impossible to remember which ones you want to save or not without some sort of visual representation of the file

Thus why names should be meaningful and if you are saving them as they are created and updated that shouldn't be an issue.

There is no reason why the documents cannot be brought to the front (just under the dialog) when selecting them in the list.

Well meaningful names are only really guaranteeable if you created/named the original documents

But I am open to your idea of a list as long as there is a clear visual representation of the document that relates to an item selected in the list

15 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Uncle Mez,

This is something that is already with development, so I've given it a little bump on your behalf! :) 

Usually holding Opt whle clicking on a close box (x) on any tab or window will trigger the Close All command. At least on macOS. Would be nice to have that behavior

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

19 hours ago, carl123 said:

open to your idea of a list as long as there is a clear visual representation of the document that relates to an item selected in the list

ok, I'll take a quick stab at this:

mockup.jpg.8a09a3c588233673c3881eeff1432e69.jpg

The mockup is imperfect in that the documents obviously wouldn't have the same name, and one of them should be selected and that is the one that would have the preview showing to the left.

Room for improvement, but I think it conveys the general idea?

7 hours ago, ronnyb said:

Usually holding Opt whle clicking on a close box (x) on any tab or window will trigger the Close All command. At least on macOS. Would be nice to have that behavior

On Windows, with some apps, it's a hidden shortcut (for having less in menus) you can do with ctrl+shift+alt + w, or there's an icon you can add to the toolbar.

Another important option and shortcut is save all.  (ctrl+shift+alt+ s). Really usefull before doing search and replace in multiple documents or some tricky action that can end up in the application quitting abruptly :S

PS. And some apps have another one: close all without prompt (without saving modified documents).

On macOS there is also the keyboard shortcut of Command-D for Don't Save, which enables you to quickly review and close without saving (if desired) a stack of open documents (but only if you quit the program, as walt.farrell said above).

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

21 minutes ago, Jim_A said:

On macOS there is also the keyboard shortcut of Command-D for Don't Save, which enables you to quickly review and close without saving (if desired) a stack of open documents

But Apple has decided to hijack that perfectly good shortcut for Desktop as a location to save the file at in their apps. We cannot Don't Save with a keyboard shortcut anymore. It makes me so angry when they don't follow their own guidelines.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

But Apple has decided to hijack that perfectly good shortcut for Desktop as a location to save the file at in their apps. We cannot Don't Save with a keyboard shortcut anymore. It makes me so angry when they don't follow their own guidelines.

Apple replaced Command-D with Command-delete for some applications, which is not as convenient to type.

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.