You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File > Edit in Photo

I'm trying and testing all available options in Publisher to see if I understand them and how they differ from Indesign. The one I didn't test sofar was <<Edit in Photo>> because it seems to be so logic. But now I test it and I have no idea what it is meant to do. At this stage it has no benefit at all because Publisher closes the document you work in.

Let me explain what I did.

First I have made corrections on a picture in Photo 1.6

I linked the .afphoto file into a multipage publisher document, but the corrections made in the picture does not fit that page to my taste

By using File>Edit in Photo I expect that the picture will be opened in AFPhoto 1.6 to change corrections and after saving the picture it will automatically be replaced in Publisher. But what really happens I don't understand.

By using File>Edit Photo the complete spread is opened in AFPhoto 1.7 Beta, (the one you don't want to use). At that moment the document in Publisher is closed and you can't open it because it is in use. If you safe it in Photo 1.7 you probably only save the spread you opened but that is something I can't check because Publisher can't open files from the Beta version.

I understand that not all is working well in Beta versions, but can somebody explain what it should do when the bugs have been taken out?

Kind regards,

LeoC

(First some explanation and conjecture. A suggestion for a better method for you to consider, for now, comes at the end.)

When Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7 are released (out of beta) then you probably won't need to use File > Edit in Photo (or Edit in Designer) any more, because you'll be able to use the Photo and Designer Personas directly in Publisher.

In the meantime, the next beta release of Publisher may restore the ability for Publisher to open Photo beta documents, which will make Edit in Photo usable again.
Update: Yes, Publisher 1.7.0.238 for Windows can now handle .afphoto files created by the latest Windows beta of Photo (1.7.0.231).

The best model we have today for using Edit in Photo and Edit in Designer comes from Designer and Photo. There, if you're in Designer and need to use Photo, you choose Edit in Photo. At that point the document is closed in Designer and reopens in Photo. When you're done with it in Photo, you choose Edit in Designer. Photo then closes the document and you're back in Designer with the changed file. However, that model can't work (today) with Publisher because neither Photo nor Designer have an Edit in Publisher function, which makes it harder to get back to Publisher from either application.

I think we'll just have to wait for later in the 1.7 betas to see how all this will really work; we can only make educated guesses at this point.

For now, you're perhaps better off with this workflow:

1. Create/edit your .afphoto file in Photo (1.6, until Publisher can again handle Photo 1.7 files).
  2. File > Place it into your .afpub file as a Linked (not Embedded) object. And make sure that your Publisher Preferences are set to automatically update linked objects when they are changed.
  3. When you discover the need to make a change to the .afphoto file, just Open it and edit it in Photo (1.6, for now), and save it. Publisher should automatically update the version in your .afpub file. (Note that there may be a bug currently that prevents the automatic update of linked Affinity documents, so perhaps it would be better to Export from Photo as a TIFF, and Place/Link the TIFF in your .afpub file. That would also allow use of Photo 1.7 for the editing.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt,

Thanks for you explanation, something learned today, I didn't see the Edit in Publisher before now but for my understanding, is the place/linked file changed and saved when you use Edit in Photo and than return by Edit in Publisher? Or is the made correction a kind of embedded change in the Publisher document?

The workflow I've chosen at the moment is to export files from Photo 1.6 and Photo 1.7 Beta as .psd files because that is a format that can be used in all Affinity program/version and gives fall back to the Adobe environment. For me it works, but what I really would like to test is the speed I can develop with Photo 1.7 and Publisher in comparison with Indesign and Photoshop. What I have seen is that the combination Publisher/Photo 1.6 is 25% slower than Adobe Suite, but with Photo 1.7 I can do much better, but the fact that all files have to be exported and the correction and replacing don't run automatically I can't compare it in de way I would like.

LeoC

7 minutes ago, LeoC said:

I didn't see the Edit in Publisher before now but for my understanding, is the place/linked file changed and saved when you use Edit in Photo and than return by Edit in Publisher? Or is the made correction a kind of embedded change in the Publisher document?

There is no Edit in Publisher yet; that's the missing piece (which may not be coming).

If you edit/create something in Photo (or any other application) you can use File > Place to put it into your Publisher document. You have a choice when creating the Publisher document (or later) to make such documents Embedded or Linked. If you choose Linked, Publisher will notice when when those Placed documents are changed by an external program. At that point, depending on the Preferences you've set for Linked documents, Publisher will either:

• ask if you want to update the changed document in your Publisher document; or
  • will automatically update it for you.

Using Linked (or embedded) Placed documents, and the scenario in your original post, I don't think you should use Edit in Photo at all. Rather, if you discover that the image needs further changes, I would recommend simply opening Photo, locating the image, editing it, and saving/exporting it. Then, back in Publisher:

• If you chose to Embed rather than Link the image, you would use the Resource Manager to Update (or Replace) the image, which would load a new copy into your .afpub file.
  • If you chose to Link the image, then either Publisher would update the version in the .afpub file automatically, or ask you if you wanted it updated.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

49 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There is no Edit in Publisher yet; that's the missing piece (which may not be coming).

I certainly hope it is coming.

It looks like only the main personas are accessible in Publisher (conjecture) so if I want to use the Liquify persona for example I would still need to use Edit in Photo to get it back there.

The menu shows already Edit in Publisher but it is inactive. The reason why I was looking into this option was that I have a need to open the linked file the publisher document. When you double click the picture you have the possibility to enhance the picture in Publisher with the masks which where already used before in Photo. This enhancement is only done in the publisher document and not in the file itself and from that moment on it is an embedded file and you have to mark it as that, otherwise the file will be replaced when document is reopened. This only works with .afphoto files not with .psd, layer masks in .psd are not visible in Publisher.

I agree with you that changing the picture in Photo by open it from Photo is the most stable workflow, but I'm really searching for an option that is similar to Indesign/Photoshop which is; activating picture, click on the edit button, picture opens in PS, save after enhancement and linked picture is replaced in Indesign.

image.png.e0e0b87a69f3092afe418b1a772d55f5.png

6 minutes ago, LeoC said:

The menu shows already Edit in Publisher but it is inactive.

I see "Edit in Designer" in the screenshot you provided, but no "Edit in Publisher". If it's inactive that means you don't have Affinity Designer installed. Designer and Publisher are different programs.

-- Walt
PC:

Yes, you're right. My mistake. No designer is on my wish-list but to test three programs in the same period is too much to handle. I'm testing Photo and Publisher for a couple of weeks now and as you see I'm still struggling with the differences and capabilities.