You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Official Release?

hi , i have been messing around with Publisher now for a while and besides the lack of optical kerning which is very important i think to get a clean typography, i found it pretty workable. now i might be heading into some commercial work sooner or later and would love to give it a try. but of course for commercial work i would have to start relying on it and even though publisher seems pretty stable to me, my question here would still be..

is there any known deadline for Publisher to be officially released?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          can it be declared in days, weeks, months or even still year(s)?

When it comes to a release date for Publisher I'm reminded of an old George Formby song - "As the Hours and the Days and the Weeks and the Months and the Years Roll By"!

But, seriously, I think I'd rather wait for a version with less bugs, and, hopefully, a few more basic features (like Mail Merge) before I'm expected to pay for it!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

The release date for Publisher is not known, and Serif is unlikely to comment other than to say: When they consider it ready.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, RichardZ said:

can it be declared in days, weeks, months or even still year(s)?

I share your frustration of not knowing when a particular new piece of software, function or update will be released especially when you have to use it for work purposes.

As regards Publisher it was expected to be released about January 2019 but feedback from the beta trials led to a lot of unexpected major changes being made to the core code.

This obviously pushed back the release and the current only official timeline is that it is still a few month away.

This could change for the better or for the worse but that's all we have officially for now.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

10 hours ago, GabrielM said:

We do not have an ETA. As we have said it before, "It's ready when it's ready".

i am sure you can provide at least some time frame, just playing cool cat seems honestly pretty arrogant towards people curious and serious enough.

Keep an eye on the Affinity Publisher home page for any changes

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/publisher/

"After thousands of hours of development time we are thrilled to say that our professional desktop publishing app, Affinity Publisher, is now in beta and available for you to try FOR FREE!

We are still a few months before we release this first version, but we’d love you to try it out and let us know what you think"

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2019 at 4:11 PM, Chris111 said:

I need Infinity Publisher. Please when can we expect a release date I am using X9 on a 300 page Coffee table book and wish i had Infinity Publisher.  

What stops you from using it?

It works fine for most problems. Nothing would be different if they had officially released it. It shouldn't break anything. When your project breaks unexpectedly they will probably fix it in the next beta, if you report it.

1 hour ago, Flo-rian said:

What stops you from using it?

That it's still considered a ,beta' -- this means, in case major bugs are found and / or features added, the file format might change and if it does, people won't be able to open / use their files after an update anymore. I agree that the software seems rather stable, but there is no guarantee it won't change, basically, using it for real projects is at your own risk.

I am currently working on three big projects in InDesign and re-create parts of them in Publisher to learn how it works (so I can teach and use it later) and see if I find any bugs to report, but won't do any work that either has a deadline or a paying customer at it's end.

2 hours ago, Jens Krebs said:

I am currently working on three big projects in InDesign and re-create parts of them in Publisher to learn how it works (so I can teach and use it later) and see if I find any bugs to report, but won't do any work that either has a deadline or a paying customer at it's end.

Great advice.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Chris111 said:

I wonder if I can open PagePlus X9 in Affinity Designer. I hope that would be an option - Thank you all  

PagePlus (*.ppp) files are not compatible with the Affinity file format. You will need to open your files in PPX9, publish as PDF and then import the resultant files into APub or AD.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

May I suggest that Affinity develops a tiny tool which can convert ppp files to the new Affinity file format? There must be many clients have "tons" of ppp files. This would be e helping hand.

I don't believe that a exported PDF does contain all the needed data to have a similar project file :/

• Staff

@Studio50

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

that "tiny tool" is much harder than you think, and you are right PDF files are not ideal, but they are the best we can offer. Thanks for the post.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I think you can start counting the weeks now, rather than months (and still not run out of fingers)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

I think you can start counting the weeks now, rather than months (and still not run out of fingers)

Let the countdown begin! 

1676125899_Kiffhappy.png.38e6882bfe61f8b2e54d366e865dda3c.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm not such an optimist :-)

223px-Maggie_Simpson.png.2ab9c1253594a9f06dffdfb5cc2258f0.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Uhh imposed constraints. Do not put unnecessary pressure and stress on the dev team here, give them enough time and breath to get things well done in a graceful manner.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, Pšenda said:

I'm not such an optimist :-)

Some are more optimistic than others ....
Zoidberg.png.511f443759cdcb5e83f7bc5cd6012fa3.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yeahh when the customer is on your neck all the time ... ;)

kunde-im-nacken.thumb.jpg.c60e10e506646278ad435c5422b8d0ac.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2