You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Outer Shadow angle control in Designer is a pain

When adding an Outer Shadow in Designer and rotating the angle control line within the circle using the mouse pointer, it snaps only to specific angles...0, 45, 90, 135, 180, 225, 270, and 315. There have been many times I want a different angle and I realize I can click on the angle readout and type in any angle, but that's a pain to get the angle I want, and counterproductive . Is there any way to turn the snap function off and allow the user to drag the line and move the shadow smoothly without snapping to the predetermined angles?

On Windows, you can hold the shift key to disable the 45 degrees snapping

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On Mac you Press Alt to disable snapping if you are pulling the angle dial line around the circle.

With the mouse, place the cursor within the bounds of the angle dial and just move/stroke your finger up or down on the mouse surface to scroll around the angle dial freely.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

A good way to adjust the angle is scrolling.

Scroll with Shift:

- cursor over angle number = step 10,

- cursor outside number (but inside circle) = step 5.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

A good way to adjust the angle is scrolling.

Scroll with Shift:

- cursor over angle number = step 10,

- cursor outside number (but inside circle) = step 5.

At least on my Mac, that doesn't work. Instead, wherever the cursor is inside the circle, scrolling with the Shift key down just locks the steps to clockwise increments regardless of which way I scroll, which continue to change in one degree steps. Not very useful. :(

Weirder still: with or without the Shift key held down, without the alt key held down, if the angle is initially set to 0°, scrolling will not go past 0° when scrolling clockwise to increment the angle -- it gets 'stuck' toggling between 0° & 359°. But that doesn't happen when starting with any other initial angle. O.o

Also, I checked what happens with the current Mac beta, & it is just like retail version in this respect.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It's true, that zero is somehow jamming - if it scrolls (with Shift) above the number, so it hangs at 0/360. Outside, it works reliably. Maybe there is a problem in that, if I start with zero, it always goes over again (2, 1, "0", 359). Sometimes, however, if I use the scroll + Shift above the number, the zero will replace the 360 (2, 1, "360", 359).

It is also interesting, that the scroll + Shift above number, the steps is after ten (7, 10, 20), while outside number adding/subtracting 5 (7, 12, 17).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Hi all,

It seems to be a difference between the Windows and the Mac version. Windows is fine, while Mac is currently different:

# Scrolling over the number, starting from a value of 0:
    #* Scrolling up > OK
    #* (x) Shift + Scrolling up > It switches from 0 to 359 but always goes back to 0. Shift changes the direction of the scrolling action
        #** Windows Behaviour: It changes the values in increments of 10 degrees
    #* (x) Scrolling down > It switches from 0 to 359 but always goes back to 0. 
        #** Windows behaviour: It stays on 0
# Scrolling inside the circle, but not on the number, starting from a value of 0:
    #* Scrolling up > OK
    #* (x) Shift + Scrolling up > Shift changes the direction of the scrolling action
        #**  Windows Behaviour: It changes the values in increments of 5 degrees
    #* (x) Scrolling down > It switches from 0 to 359 but always goes back to 0. 
        #** Windows behaviour: It changes the values counter-clockwise
# Scrolling over the number, starting from a non-zero value :
    #* (x) Scrolling up > It does not stop at 360
        #** Windows behaviour > It stops at 360
    #* (x) Scrolling down > It does not stop at 0
        #** Windows behaviour > It stops at 0
# Scrolling over the number, starting from a non-zero value :
    #* (x) Scrolling up > It does not stop at 360
        #** Windows behaviour > It stops at 360
    #* (x) Scrolling down > It does not stop at 0
        #** Windows behaviour > It stops at 0
# Scrolling inside the circle, but not on the number, starting from a non-zero value:
    #* Scrolling up > OK
    #* Scrolling down > OK

• Staff
On 2/8/2019 at 6:07 AM, Ballyshannon said:

Is there any way to turn the snap function off and allow the user to drag the line and move the shadow smoothly without snapping to the predetermined angles?

Hi Ballyshannon,
With the object selected, go to the Effects panel (near the Layers panel), expand the Outer Shadow, click the Offset Tool and drag the shadow directly on canvas as you see fit.

14 minutes ago, MEB said:

With the object selected, go to the Effects panel (near the Layers panel), expand the Outer Shadow, click the Offset Tool and drag the shadow directly on canvas as you see fit.

BTW, any reason why on the non-modal panel that feature access is missing?

schatten.jpg.73f4f4ec65f43ac09326b90776f3271c.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2