You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag to Copy and Artboard move Borked on Beta

Two quite bad issues that seem related.

I can't move or drag to copy with option using the the Artboard field. The tool insists on creating a new artboard over the original artboard.

And with the general selector tool i can move but can't option/drag to copy.

These issues are specific to the current  1.7.0.4 beta.  I've searched but can't find anyone else with the issue. AM running MacOS 10.13.6

I would be very glad of a solution as I er… have a real project running using beta, with no way back.

Thanks

one planet, one chance

I should add - it's also sometimes impossible to even select an existing artboard for editing, wth the artboard tool or in the layers palette :(.

Also that with the regular select tool, drag copy can be done IF the option key is pressed before any slecting.  Though for Artboard drag/copy is completely broken, every time

Tim

one planet, one chance

3 hours ago, Tim Gummer said:

The tool insists on creating a new artboard over the original artboard.

I believe that is by design. At least, it is the same here. You will have to do it like this:

• Select the Move Tool
  • Click the artboard to select it (it must be highlighted in the layers list!)
  • Hold down Option (Alt), click the artboard and drag to make a copy

That should work with artboards too. :)

3 hours ago, Tim Gummer said:

Also that with the regular select tool, drag copy can be done IF the option key is pressed before any slecting

This is also by design, because pressing the Option (Alt) key after having started dragging an object is designed to disable snapping:)

So those 'by design' behaviours are new ? But unannounced?

The tools are behaving very differently from alpha, and the option-drag behaviour is different from (I think) all my other apps.

As to the problem selecting i mentioned - that is almost certainly a bug, and again different from the release version.

I've videoed the issue at https://www.dropbox.com/s/yahaw6czy9l3qu1/Affinity designer Beta artboard select bug.mov?dl=0

I's mostly in outline mode to see what is actually going on - the artboard tool cannot select artboards. And it can't creat them - instead it draws an arc.

Methinks something is rotten in Denmark…

Tim

one planet, one chance

Hi Tim,

when I have a look at your video, I have the impression that you try to select your artboard with the Vector Brush tool, as witnessed by the crosshair cursor. But it is impossible to select anything with Vector Brush tool. You will have to use the Move Tool instead. I made a short video to explain how things are working on my computer. Should you see something different, I would expect this to be a bug.

You are right though, that the Option + Drag action is different from any other app. I must say I have become accustomed to it in the mean time, yet there is this difference … well … :(

Hope my video is helpful …

Alex :)

Thanks for the quick reply A_B_C, and going to the trouble of making a video.

I'm definitely not choosing the the Vector Brush tool - I'm selecting the Artboard tool. The second from top tool on the tools palette.

I may be getting vector brush behaviour but the tool i select IS the Artboard tool.  I'm a very experienced (and passionate) user of AD - from it's earliest releases (coming from a Freehand background). I know what the vector brush tool is but i'm not choosing it. And currently i'm using 1.6 and 1.7 concurrently so i have a clear picture of the differences.

Something fundamental is wrong here.  I could make another video but i hope the above makes this clear.

What next?

one planet, one chance

1 minute ago, Tim Gummer said:

I'm definitely not choosing the the Vector Brush tool - I'm selecting the Artboard tool. The second from top tool on the tools palette.

If you want to move an Artboard, why don't you use the Move Tool?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, Tim Gummer said:

I may be getting vector brush behaviour but the tool i select IS the Artboard tool.  I'm a very experienced (and passionate) user of AD - from it's earliest releases (coming from a Freehand background). I know what the vector brush tool is but i'm not choosing it.

Hmm … this is very mysterious indeed. Let me apologise for my misunderstanding. I didn’t mean to offend you with this video. I should have guessed from the advanced structure of your document that you couldn’t have fallen prey to such a small oversight. I am sorry. :)

But when you have a look at this snippet from your video, you will understand how I came to the conclusion that you are using the Vector Brush Tool. I couldn’t see your toolbar, and it is incredibly strange to see that the Artboard Tool should be able to draw a line. What’s going on here?! O.o

Again, I am sorry for my over-explanatory video. Maybe it will help other people though. Alex :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.