Dennis Nisbet

Selection Tool Does not SNAP to Edges

I am running (was running it at the time this happened) the latest version of Affinity Photo and had just installed the Beta 7 version.

When I used the Selection Brush Tool to select a building edge against a solid blue sky, it would not snap to the building edges. Snap was turned on and only the release version of Affinity Photo was running.

I restarted my computer and tried again. It still did not work.

Finally, I removed the Beta version, restarted the computer and everything worked OK.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. Unfortunately, I've already spent countless hours on another issue only to find out that Affinity Photo is not yet capable of doing what I am already doing in PS. I need to get back to work.

If this is not universally reproducible on PC, just let me know. If it's a real issue, it should be reproducible at Serif and fixed.

For what it's worth, I don't have a problem with snapping to edges in either version. I grabbed a couple of skyscraper images from Pexeals.com, and used the selection brush to select the buildings and remove the blue skies and replace with a sky having clouds. The only problem would be if there was not enough contrast between the building edges and the sky. The (any) program will have difficulty deciding what to snap to.

I had both the official release and the current beta running at the same time. Attached is an example sky replacement done, using the selection brush with snap to edges.

architecture-black-and-white-building-273209APEDIT.jpg

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123, Beta 1.7.0.243; Win10 Home 1803: Intel i7-4770, 3.40GHz, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645 

We could not replicate this issue either. Did you change the installation folder for any of them, or install both in the same folder? The 2 apps work independently from each other and one should not affect the other.