You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tried the zip version; same error, so the forum is not mangling the profile.

The print dialog shows considerably fewer profiles than in the soft proof list. I am not sure why; it may have something to do with the print drivers installed on my Mac. But regardless, on the Mac your repaired profile shows up in both, so it still looks like a Windows version bug to me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for looking at it, the software that created it was Windows based, maybe it's related to that. It installs without any issues on Windows.

It does seem like a bug, especially given that not a single cmyk profile is listed in the print options.

Seems like this has been noted before just over two years ago...

In case anyone else comes across this problem, you can use the cmyk profiles through Windows colour management, you don't need to print through a different application. Win+R (for run), type "colorcpl.exe", select your printer, Add.. your profile and set as default. It's not as easy as setting a dropdown in the print dialouge.

• Staff

@BofG

Thanks for the information and the file, I can confirm this is a bug in the Windows version of Affinity and I've logged it with our developers to be fixed asap. :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Ok, I need to know what to tell the profile guy, he doesn't know a lot about Affinity. I downloaded Sillouette and it worked perfect. So it is something I am missing in Affinity. I don't want to use another program. Any idea what could be wrong. One thing is my blacks, greys turn green tinge. I would appreciate any help. I have Epson 1430 Artisan I have Designer and Photo.  Thanks Michele

Assuming you are on Windows.

It should work if you do the following:

1. Install the icc profile (right click the file, select 'install..')

2. Set Windows to apply the profile to your printer. Win +R (for run), type "colorcpl.exe", select your printer, Add.. your colour profile and set as default.

3. Set your printer driver colour management to use host system. If that's not an option, choose application colour management. (not sure how exactly it would be worded in your driver).

4. In Affinity print dialogue, choose 'printer manages colour'.

4 hours ago, BofG said:

Assuming you are on Windows.

It should work if you do the following:

1. Install the icc profile (right click the file, select 'install..')

2. Set Windows to apply the profile to your printer. Win +R (for run), type "colorcpl.exe", select your printer, Add.. your colour profile and set as default.

3. Set your printer driver colour management to use host system. If that's not an option, choose application colour management. (not sure how exactly it would be worded in your driver).

4. In Affinity print dialogue, choose 'printer manages colour'.

But (unless I missed it) Michelle has not said she's using CMYK printing, and for an Epson Artisan 1430 (as with other Epson printers) I would expect she's using RGB. You're the one who brought the discussion of CMYK into Michelle's topic, BofG.

All Michelle should need to do is install the profile, then add a soft-proofing adjustment layer using that profile to make sure that the colors will look right. If they don't look right on-screen, then add adjustments to fix them. Then turn off the soft-proof layer and print. The official Affinity tutorials cover both printing and the use of soft-proofing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 minutes ago, BofG said:

I always find that odd, given that a printer by definition has to use the CMYK scheme at the end

Actually, some printers don't use CMYK at all. I recall seeing one that used green and orange and some other colors. And then there are ones setup with multiple densities of K and no colors at all.

And even higher-end ones that are CMYK based may be more complex than that, having C, light-C, M, light-M, Y, light-Y, K, and light-K (or another separate variety of K for glossy paper). Or even more color breakdowns than that.

Most printers these days that I have seen or read about, except possibly for professional commercial varieties, expect to get RGB as their input, and they know how to do the conversion to their ink colors.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

36 minutes ago, BofG said:

...(I always find that odd, given that a printer by definition has to use the CMYK scheme at the end)...

Inkjets & even many/most color laser printers, whether they are consumer or (many/most) prosumer devices, will convert any CMYK to RGB at the print driver and then to the technology used in the printer whether it is pure or enhanced CMYK (and whether the driver is converting it or a special RIP in ROM doesn't matter). If RGB data is used but is characterized differently than the print driver uses, this RGB data may well also be converted to the RGB it is using in the driver.