You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Michele,

Once you've installed the ICC profile as shown in the PDF guide you posted, you can then go to File>Print on this screen select Colour Management.  On this screen use the following settings:

On the Print window if you click on the Properties button you'll see the screens talked about in the PDF and you can set the sublimation setting there.

Then just make sure the Colour Management Section of the Print Window matches these settings: 

Colour Handling: Performed by app

Printer Profile: Select the profile you installed

Rendering Intent: From reading the PDF guide you posted, they recommend setting this to Relative colorimetric.

You can then print and the printer will use that profile :) 

Hi stokerg,

I'm on windows, I have some printer ICC profiles installed. In Affinity Designer I can use them in a soft proof layer, and they are listed as options in the colour setting in document properties, but they don't show in the print dialogue.

I had just assumed that designer didn't support printer profiles, but from what you say they should be available. Any ideas on why they don't show up? They were created through colormunki, and are V4 profiles.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, BofG said:

I'm on windows, I have some printer ICC profiles installed. In Affinity Designer I can use them in a soft proof layer, and they are listed as options in the colour setting in document properties, but they don't show in the print dialogue.

I had just assumed that designer didn't support printer profiles, but from what you say they should be available. Any ideas on why they don't show up? They were created through colormunki, and are V4 profiles.

Also on Windows. Here's part of my Designer Print dialog:
image.png.275e43a40f24638d92611e7100b202d9.png

If Designer is finding your profile for soft-proofing I would expect it to find it in that dialog, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

That's exactly the place where the profiles don't show. All I get is the default list that AD installs with. If I create a new profile it shows in all parts of AD except for in that print dialogue.

Do you have any custom profiles installed yourself that show there?

54 minutes ago, BofG said:

Do you have any custom profiles installed yourself that show there?

Yes, quite a few.

They are, however, for RGB output.

The Soft Proof Adjustment layer allows selection of CMYK profiles, but I do not see any of the CMYK profiles in the Print dialog when I have an RGB document.

However, as I just realized, you're not actually printing. You're sending it off to pring, so what you need to do is export to a file (JPG, TIFF, ...) using the document's ICC profile, and what the Print dialog allows isn't really relevant.

You would use the Soft Proofing layer to fine-tune the appearance of your image, then hide that layer, then Export the file saying to use the document's ICC profile. If you then view that file it will look wrong. However, when you send it to the printer and they print it, it should look close to how it looked for you with the Soft Proof adjustment active.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks for the info, are those profiles 'display' profiles or 'printer' profiles? I would imagine being RGB they are for a display?

I am doing the printing in house, I have custom output profiles for this exact printer with different paper types. I can set it through Windows colour management, and set the printer driver to use the host system ICM and it works as expected. It's just a pain switching profiles, would be nicer to have AD manage the colours and pick from my profiles in the print dialogue.

5 minutes ago, BofG said:

Thanks for the info, are those profiles 'display' profiles or 'printer' profiles? I would imagine being RGB they are for a display?

They are printer profiles, because most inkjet printers expect to receive RGB data even if they use CMYK inks.

If your printer really expects to receive CMYK data then I'm a bit surprised, but I suppose in that case you might need to change your document to CMYK.

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, BofG said:

but they don't show in the print dialogue.

Are these Win system wide correctly installed? - The print panel in Affinity is probably a shared system resource, aka from the printer driver and thus maybe the printer driver doesn't show those up for whatever reason. Normally actual Win versions should be able to handle icc v4 profiles, but it might be still printer driver dependent. So do those printer icc profiles show up when using the printer driver from other software for printing?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

They are correctly installed, as I say I can use them through Windows colour management. They also show on soft proof etc.

It's nothing to do with the driver, the colour management/installation of profiles to the system is independent of the driver.

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

They are printer profiles, because most inkjet printers expect to receive RGB data even if they use CMYK inks.

If your printer really expects to receive CMYK data then I'm a bit surprised, but I suppose in that case you might need to change your document to CMYK.

The printer can handle CMYK or RGB, but it makes no difference if the source document is CMYK - the profiles still don't show in the print dialogue.

1 hour ago, BofG said:

It's nothing to do with the driver, the colour management/installation of profiles to the system is independent of the driver.

The above shown Affinity printer dialog from walt is a shared instance from the Win related printer driver, which in turn makes uses of Win colour management too!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

According to xRite, .icm is just the windows style filename for .icc. The file contents are identical. If you change the file extension to .icc you can still right-click and choose to install it.

Affinity wouldn't see the file extension any way, it's looking at profiles in the host system.

Still wouldn't explain why it's showing in soft proof but not print dialogue.

Ok now switched the seat over from a Mac to a beside Win box, trying your .icm file there it doesn't appear in the list of Affinity print dialog as a selectable profile. It's only selectable from doc colorformat settings via the CMYK/8 option.

@v_kyr thanks for trying it, so it's the same for you as on my system.

Looking at it again, there aren't any CMYK profiles in the print list at all, not even the default SWOP etc. Seems like AD is limited to RGB only on the print side of things.

I'll just have to stick to Windows colour management.

Appreciate your help.

22 minutes ago, BofG said:

Seems like AD is limited to RGB only on the print side of things.

It does seem like that's true. I'm not sure if that's intended or a bug.

Since you've said your printer accepts either CMYK or RGB, you could create RGB profiles for it, and use those with the Affinity applications.

-- Walt
PC:

I'm creating the profiles using a colormunki profiler, that only produces CMYK printer profiles.

Windows colour management works, it's not a huge problem, it would just be a bit more convenient if AD would recognise the profiles.

Thanks for your input, good to know that it wasn't just me missing a setting somewhere.

@BofG I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I installed your Colotech icm profile on my Mac. In Affinity, it did not show up either as a soft proof or print dialog option. I then ran the Mac ColorSync Utility's "Profile First Aid" feature. This is what I got:
365487931_profilefirstaid.jpg.a3ef40d92d5f549ccc86ee032cf63b88.jpg

I ran the repair function, which resulted in this Xerox Colotech 350gsm Silk.icm version of the file. After doing that, the profile appeared both as a soft proof & printing option.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R Could just be something to do with going through the forum upload? I've just downloaded and installed the repaired one you posted, same thing - in soft proof list/document colour, not in printer options. I would think if it was a bad file it would just not show at all, plus when it was originally created and installed it was all handled through the colour profiler software.

It must be a bug with AD on Windows, there are simply no cmyk profiles in the print options at all, as confirmed by others here. Towards the end of this page:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/designer/desktop/

it's got a section on colour management which mentions " end-to-end CMYK ". Maybe someone from Serif can clairfy this?

20 minutes ago, BofG said:

@R C-R Could just be something to do with going through the forum upload?

If you want, you could upload a zipped version of your file, which should protect it from any mangling the forum might be doing to it, & I'll see if the Mac ColorSync Utility likes that any better. But I suspect that won't make any difference. 

26 minutes ago, BofG said:

It must be a bug with AD on Windows

You are probably right about that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7