You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Have you changed shift to allow straight lines with brushes?

I just tried using the brush tool in the new beta build and noticed that pressing shift now produces straight lines horizontally and vertically. Didn't notice this change in the patch notes, so I wanted to ask fellow beta users if they are able to replicate this to confirm it functioning the same for the rest of you.

Anyway, if my eyes don't deceive me, thanks a lot Affinity team for adding this in! I know a lot of other artists who will be super happy with this feature! :)

I don't see that change in the release notes, either. But it does seem to work for me, on Windows.

It's tricky to use, though, as Drag+Shift with the Brush Tool is still defined as "continue last stroke". So to get it to give you a horizontal or vertical line (except possibly the first time you use the brush) you need to click and start to drag your stroke, then press shift, and the rest of the stroke is constrained to horizontal or vertical.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't see that change in the release notes, either. But it does seem to work for me, on Windows.

It's tricky to use, though, as Drag+Shift with the Brush Tool is still defined as "continue last stroke". So to get it to give you a horizontal or vertical line (except possibly the first time you use the brush) you need to click and start to drag your stroke, then press shift, and the rest of the stroke is constrained to horizontal or vertical.

I compared the feature with how it works in Photoshop, and it works the same way as you described in that program. Not much of an issue for me who is used to those controls.

Also, the reason shift is using "continue last stroke" when making lines is so you can make straight lines while clicking on points on a canvas to make sure the dots get connected. Maybe that command could be changed to ctrl while keeping horizontal and vertical straight lines on shift, but personally I hope to see the concept evolve to where Affinity has a ruler system that can make straight lines while measuring things like distance and angles from 0 to 180 degrees, as well as allowing other types of measurements. To the developers I would suggest taking inspiration from programs like Lazy Nezumi Pro that has a pretty complex perspective measuring system for drawing, or just simply assist the add-on developer for Lazy Nezumi to add direct support to all Affinity products.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.