You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Behaviors with different file formats

When I open an EPS (logo over white background) I am unable to make a selection with either the Selection Brush or Flood Select. I can make a selection with the Rectangular Marquee tool, but if I select some of the white background to the side of the logo and hit delete, the logo goes away. I only have one layer so I'm not sure what's going on.

Additionally, PDF files seem to work the same way. I have tried flattening the images first and that gives some more options, but still not everything works. When I open a PNG screen capture all tools function normally.

I am new to Affinity Photo and it seems to be really powerful and I'm sure this is operator error. I have looked at the forum and tutorials and cannot find topics on these particular issues. I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

• Staff

Hi Dx2,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you try right clicking the layer you are trying to make a selection on and choose rasterise then try making your selection?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

On 2/8/2019 at 12:31 PM, Dx2 said:

Callum,

I rasterized both a TIFF and EPS and both act the same: I can't brush select, but I can flood select. 

But, when you marquee select, and press delete, do you still lose everything, or just the part you selected?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If I open an EPS,  right click on the pixel layer and rasterize it, the Selection Brush doesn't work. If I select with Flood Select and hit delete, nothing happens. If I select with the Marquee tool and then delete, the selected area turns white.

If it's a TIFF file, it seems to work fine except for the Selection Brush tool that doesn't seem to do anything. 

This is probably all my inexperience with the program. I'm just trying to find where I'm missing a step.

Thank you.

@Dx2 Make sure you don't have Subtract set in Mode: on the Selection Brush Tool, it's easily done.1991612167_ScreenShot2019-02-11at19_47_03.png.9723ff466d9a38c2d645b1fa9ffbebac.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions