Sugar Lion

Crop Tool Set Default to Original Ratio

Hi

Every time I load in a new picture to edit it I go to the crop tool. About 95% of the time I want to crop in the same ratio that I took the photo in. I have to think that most people are doing the best they can to frame there photos the way they want them to be. Also there is no use working in free mode as default because it does not relate to printing. It only makes sense to me that the default operation of the crop tool should be set to the ratio that the document is when loaded. 

Having this even as a little check box somewhere as "Default Ratio as Document" in the settings or something would be amazing. 

Anyone else feel the same way?

All the best

If you're composing in camera, and especially if you want to keep the same ratio, why do you need to crop at all. Can't you simply resize (Document > Resize Document...) to the desired size before export, or specify the new size during File > Export?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.293 Beta

Yea this is one major reason I haven't jumped onto the affinity wagon just yet.. Tools, colors,  resetting their values when opening new files is ridiculous. I also work on numerous files that need the same unique settings that I predetermined on the first file. It's a loss of time re-establishing the same settings over and over again. 

We've already gotten all the best tools and functionality we can possibly think of, now it's about which company can give the fastest, easiest smartest way to help us do our job. Sadly it's still  greedy ADOBE. ;(

Whoever does it right will get a billion users jumping the Adobe ship. 

23 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you're composing in camera, and especially if you want to keep the same ratio, why do you need to crop at all. Can't you simply resize (Document > Resize Document...) to the desired size before export, or specify the new size during File > Export?

Totally get what your saying. I usually shoot a little wide so I can fine tune in the comfort of my home. When I'm out shooting my conditions are often not at a comfortable so I leave that room for myself. Either that or I was shooting with a prime and was unable to get where I wanted, fence, cliff lake or so on. Also vintage lenses are a factor. 

12 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi both, 

Why not use the "original ratio" preset?

I do every single time I have to crop. Having to select it every single time by default as opposed to Photo starting with a constrained ratio is so annoying. Free form cropping is VERY rarely useful in photography in my experience. 

12 minutes ago, Sugar Lion said:

Free form cropping is VERY rarely useful in photography in my experience. 

My knee jerk reaction was that that is wrong, but hey you know what? You are correct. I will use it occasionally, most often with panoramas, but most time it is a preset of a print size or the original ratio (for your aforementioned reasons).

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 | Affinity Photo 1.6.7 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.293 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.120 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.9

I made an account just to add to this thread. I have a recurring task that implies cropping images from different sources to 1:1 ratio. I have to select 1:1 from the dropdown, then check darken border, then finally crop. Do this 20-30 times in a row and you'll see the issue.