You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop Tool Set Default to Original Ratio

Hi

Every time I load in a new picture to edit it I go to the crop tool. About 95% of the time I want to crop in the same ratio that I took the photo in. I have to think that most people are doing the best they can to frame there photos the way they want them to be. Also there is no use working in free mode as default because it does not relate to printing. It only makes sense to me that the default operation of the crop tool should be set to the ratio that the document is when loaded. 

Having this even as a little check box somewhere as "Default Ratio as Document" in the settings or something would be amazing. 

Anyone else feel the same way?

All the best

If you're composing in camera, and especially if you want to keep the same ratio, why do you need to crop at all. Can't you simply resize (Document > Resize Document...) to the desired size before export, or specify the new size during File > Export?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yea this is one major reason I haven't jumped onto the affinity wagon just yet.. Tools, colors,  resetting their values when opening new files is ridiculous. I also work on numerous files that need the same unique settings that I predetermined on the first file. It's a loss of time re-establishing the same settings over and over again. 

We've already gotten all the best tools and functionality we can possibly think of, now it's about which company can give the fastest, easiest smartest way to help us do our job. Sadly it's still  greedy ADOBE. ;(

Whoever does it right will get a billion users jumping the Adobe ship. 

23 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you're composing in camera, and especially if you want to keep the same ratio, why do you need to crop at all. Can't you simply resize (Document > Resize Document...) to the desired size before export, or specify the new size during File > Export?

Totally get what your saying. I usually shoot a little wide so I can fine tune in the comfort of my home. When I'm out shooting my conditions are often not at a comfortable so I leave that room for myself. Either that or I was shooting with a prime and was unable to get where I wanted, fence, cliff lake or so on. Also vintage lenses are a factor. 

12 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi both, 

Why not use the "original ratio" preset?

I do every single time I have to crop. Having to select it every single time by default as opposed to Photo starting with a constrained ratio is so annoying. Free form cropping is VERY rarely useful in photography in my experience. 

12 minutes ago, Sugar Lion said:

Free form cropping is VERY rarely useful in photography in my experience. 

My knee jerk reaction was that that is wrong, but hey you know what? You are correct. I will use it occasionally, most often with panoramas, but most time it is a preset of a print size or the original ratio (for your aforementioned reasons).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 8 months later...

I too face the same issue, it's a bit annoying. First time if I set to original ratio its fine, but if i change my mind to crop again i have to go back to step to 1 setting Orginal ratio from the dropdown. Worst case scenario I forgot to set the crop in orgianl ratio , all photos end up with different ratios

29 minutes ago, morten a said:

Additionally , please make it so holding down shift will keep proportions. All your other tools work this why (though opposite), so it feels odd that the crop tool does not work in the same way. Or perhaps default to keeping proportions, and then holding down shift allows you to freely change the cropping (so it behaves like the transform tool or marquee tool)

The Crop tool will keep its proportions if you use one of the Original Ratio, or Custom Ratio, or Resample modes. When you use Unconstrained there isn't a proportion to keep.

By the way, for the other tools: How Shift works depends on the kind of object(s) you have selected, and the Preference you have chosen under Tools for "Move Tool Aspect Constrain"

image.png.f340ed848781c365abadecd81c244527.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

The crop tool is the one tool I use a lot and the biggest reason Affinity is not my main editing software.  It's not user friendly if you edit large numbers of images at one time.  I shoot sports events.  I have a very efficient work flow to edit 40 to 100+ images from an event.  Here's what I don't like about the crop tool... some of it mentioned above.  BTW - I'm on a 2015 MacBook Pro running Mojave (but I'll be upgrading soon to the new OS) and version 1.7.3 of Affinity.

The crop tool doesn't have a preset for the size I use.  I use a native camera sensor crop size... 16.32 x 10.88 inches.  It divides down to basically a 6x4 at 300 dpi.  Using the 4x6 setting in Affinity works, but resizes my image to 1/4 of what it really is, so that doesn't really work for me.  I haven't found a way to add a preset unless I import it from somewhere else.  Where?  PS?  That seems kind of weird.  Also, the only way to keep the software from reverting to unconstrained for the next image I edit is to pick one of the presets from the little gear icon.  Picking Original Ratio or Constrained, or what ever from the drop down will not keep the software from reverting to Unconstrained on the next image.  I need for my selection to stick from image to image to image to image and from one session to the next.  It needs to remember my last selection no matter what the circumstance.

Next is the tool bar that holds all the different editing icons.  It doesn't stick either!  When I save and close one image, the next image - even if already open - doesn't have any tool active.  If I last used the crop tool, I want that tool to be active next image no matter the circumstance.  Same as if I had the erase tool or any of the other tools active.  It should be active next image no matter what the circumstance - next image, next session... even after an upgrade!

I know that those few mouse clicks don't sound like a lot, but if you are doing 100 images it adds up to several hundred extra clicks and countless minutes of processing time.

Please consider adjusting the toolbar and the crop tool to remember what the user was doing and make it immediately available for their next image.  Till it gets fixed, I unfortunately can't use this software full time.

-Chimperil59 -

• 6 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 4:28 PM, walt.farrell said:

This is true for landscape where you spend most of your time composing your shot. But it doesn't work that way for wildlife photography. It would better if we could set the default for crop to Original Ratio instead of unconstrained.

On 5/24/2020 at 6:33 AM, hari1983 said:

This is true for landscape where you spend most of your time composing your shot. But it doesn't work that way for wildlife photography. It would better if we could set the default for crop to Original Ratio instead of unconstrained.

In landscape photography you are same way in hurry as in wildlife photography and bracketing shots or taking high speed sequences. Sports and wildlife ain't only area that benefits from 60 FPS. So does as well macro photography.

And street photography ain't only area where quick deciding moment goes in time of raising camera for shot, it happens as well in landscape photography, and even more in macro photography.

Wildlife and sports photography can be done very effectively with a single frame and using manual focus, it just requires more skill and talent. But same thing is applied for landscape, macro etc.

But one limitation many does have is that they set artificial restrictions by using some custom ratios, instead being free to compose by best of the content and situation, freely.

When browsing old photographs, one can see that prints comes in all kind various sizes and formats when done byself in darkroom. But so many got stuck to these specific sizes in quick development and services as well now the displays.

If there just would be a way to set parameter settings as default.... Right?

All settings should have profiles to be saved in drop down list, and set one of them as default, as well having the factory default to ever get back to Affinity default.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is this ever going to be fixed?  

It seems like such an obvious and easy do to thing - give users the ability to choose what their normal workflow is and set it so that it does that by default. 

Telling people that there are options to select it misses the point - that adds clicks and time.  

This would be such an easy fix and make a LOT of people (myself included) very happy.  Why not listen to your customers instead of ignoring them or telling them they are wrong?

• 1 month later...

Mosy people crop according to the intended output.  I use 16:9 in camera and in cropping, because all my pictures are going to end up as slides shown on a TV or monitor.  I find it very annoying having to reset the crop ratio for every picture, and even more annoying when I forget to do so.  Please listen to what we are saying.

• 2 months later...

Please, allow us to default the Crop Mode to Original Ratio, or any other crop Mode option.  Changing from Unconstrained each time within a single session is so tiresome.  Not to mention multiple open sessions. (Hoping this is the correct thread for function requests.)

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2021 at 12:33 PM, modern_min said:

Mosy people crop according to the intended output.  I use 16:9 in camera and in cropping, because all my pictures are going to end up as slides shown on a TV or monitor.  I find it very annoying having to reset the crop ratio for every picture, and even more annoying when I forget to do so.  Please listen to what we are saying.

I to need the default crop to be constrained but will we get it? Affinity (Serif) are like most companies, they know what is best for us and the sooner we accept that the better it will be for us. I personally like Affinity Photo (although photoshop was more user friendly in many ways) but there are a number of improvements that could be easily made in time for the next upgrade. Even a reply from them wouldn't go amiss. (Serif, can you see that?????)

It would also be nice if we could set our own crop size in pixels, millimetres and maybe some other measurements as well unless that feature is there and I've not found it yet?

EDITED just to say I found how to add a preset but still not how to set it to default to the main one I use

Edited by Dangerous
To say I found out how to do it.

• 8 months later...

I just edited about 300 photos from a trip the US from Europe, and only do some basic cropping and color correction.

But 9/10 photos I crop I want in the constrained mode matching the original ratio. Please add the option to set it default.

The same happened after a trip to Maderia with more than 1000 pictures to go through.

• 9 months later...
10 minutes ago, PhilipB said:

As of version 2.0.4 there still is no option to set the default Crop Mode to Original Ratio. That really is sorely needed.

V2.1 (available soon) will remember your last used Crop Mode

You can also download the V2.1 beta if you want to try/use this now

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 4 months later...
On 5/14/2023 at 3:25 PM, carl123 said:

V2.1 (available soon) will remember your last used Crop Mode

You can also download the V2.1 beta if you want to try/use this now

Well, not here. If I crop an image: Resample 1200 x 800 pixels
And shot down the Affinity Photo
And restart it we are back at Crop > Unconstrained

Why? 

I miss a opportunity to make my own Crop default setting. Any help?