You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Affinity Photo Guidebook

A new Affinity Photo Guidebook, entitled "Essential Affinity Photo", has just been announced & released by English landscape photographer Robin Whalley.  Robin has previously published quite a number of both soft cover & ebooks covering a range of subjects, mostly to do with using Lightroom or Photoshop.  He also operates both a website & blog under the names "The Lightweight Photographer" & "Lenscraft Photography".  I have purchased & used quite a number of his earlier efforts, which I find to be very focused on those features of these programs that are most useful to many photographers.  I haven't bought this latest one, which is available as an ebook now & softcover in the near future, but definitely plan to do so.  This guidebook may be what many on the forum have been looking for in lieu of a user manual created by Serif.  You can get more info about buying the book from Amazon by clicking http://viewbook.at/affinity-photo; also you can do a Google search using the title "Essential Affinity Photo".  The price is 4.99 British Pounds or comparable currency.

With all of the interest previously expressed on this forum for a user manual for Affinity Photo, I’m surprised no one has expressed an interest in finding out whether this guidebook covers enough ground for new users. When I get my copy, that is something I’ll report back. 

41 minutes ago, jedorme said:

With all of the interest previously expressed on this forum for a user manual for Affinity Photo, I’m surprised no one has expressed an interest in finding out whether this guidebook covers enough ground for new users. When I get my copy, that is something I’ll report back. 

Maybe because the thing is only available on Kindle?    Personally, I canned my Kindle several years ago.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 2/7/2019 at 9:50 PM, jedorme said:

You can get more info about buying the book from Amazon by clicking http://viewbook.at/affinity-photo; also you can do a Google search using the title "Essential Affinity Photo".  The price is 4.99 British Pounds or comparable currency.

Digital books are subject to VAT, so the price in the UK is actually £5.99, not £4.99.

18 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Maybe because the thing is only available on Kindle?    Personally, I canned my Kindle several years ago.

I’ve never owned or used a Kindle. I read Kindle editions using a free app, or via Kindle Cloud Reader.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

23 hours ago, Alfred said:

I’ve never owned or used a Kindle. I read Kindle editions using a free app, or via Kindle Cloud Reader.

I had two of the darned things.   My dog knocked one out of my hands and it smashed on the floor (ver’r’r’ry hard to read thereafter) and the other stared balefully at me once too often with its dreary gray face.  The download, save, transfer, etc. etc. etc. was a pain in the neck too.    Guess I may research the free app stuff, if I ever get tired of drawing goofy stuff in Designer on my MAC.  Otherwise, It is back to good old fashioned printed books.    They don’t have batteries to charge!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I'm now having unexpected hip surgery tomorrow so won't be able to get & use this new Affinity Photo guidebook as soon as expected.  But I hope that someone else out there will get it & post what they think about it.  The table of contents & preview pages I read on Amazon look promising as giving more than enough attention to many of the most important features in AP.