You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Table of Contents trouble

Hello,

I'm having trouble creating a table of contents in a new document. It worked fine in a previous document/version, but this time it's not. When I generate a TOC, the text is .2pt, and when I change the styles, the style will not continue when I update the TOC.

Also, Heading 1 and Heading 2 are automatically checked, but when I uncheck those and select "Chapter Title," the table will not update with the correct settings there either.

Am I doing something wrong? I have version 1.7.0.227.

1 hour ago, RenWaller said:

I'm having trouble creating a table of contents in a new document. It worked fine in a previous document/version, but this time it's not. When I generate a TOC, the text is .2pt

Do you have a Group Style called Base? Seems to me that was my problem, I had deleted that group style and it wrecked a great many things. Not sure why you cannot open the older document though. 

This was on Mac by the way.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Further to your initial problem you do need a Group Style called Base, the ToC takes its information from that. Set some basic information like font and size and you are good to go.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Further to your initial problem you do need a Group Style called Base,

Actually you don't. What you need is an ancestor style that will keep all common characteristics of TOC. So if you copy the specs from Base to TOC 1: Entry you have basically defined a common ancestor style from which other TOC styles are based off.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

On 2/8/2019 at 1:54 PM, RenWaller said:

The document is attached if you want to try opening it yourself.

Yes, it crashes on me too.

I think you should send this file to the devs. They will delete it once they've identified the problem, and it may prove useful to them in identifying bugs, etc.

Just report it as a bug.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Hi All

I'm new to Publisher and having trouble with the TOC feature, I've opened a PDF that has bookmarks so shouldn't I see those bookmarks? Nothing in the TOC pane appears and I can't make any entries to start a TOC. I followed the advice of Old Bruce and Seneca by creating various styles, base paragraph character but still the menus in TOC editor are blank or greyed-out. I must be doing something wrong but can't figure out what. If the PDF already has bookmarks then at least I should be able to see and edit those, no?

Thanks for any assistance and I hope this message gets posted, the first one seems to have disappeared!

As a note, I'm trialing Affinity Designer and love it, I think I'll abandon Xara Designer and switch to this Designer, looks like it has a brighter future ahead of it, and I imagine I'll pick up Publisher when it's ready for sale.

Regards, Kevin in Barcelona

• 3 weeks later...
On 16. Februar 2019 at 5:54 PM, Kevin B said:

If the PDF already has bookmarks then at least I should be able to see and edit those, no?

No, we don’t think that this is possible. Try it with a new thread (here) if nobody will answer today.

BTW: Welcome here in the forums, Kevin.

Thanks your replies Oval and fde101, seems odd that Publisher doesn't work with bookmarks but I suppose it's goal is to create new documents only. This leaves me hanging as I need to update/improve existing pdf manuals and I can't just ditch their entire bookmark structure. Hummpffff!

Regards, Kevin

3 hours ago, Kevin B said:

Thanks your replies Oval and fde101, seems odd that Publisher doesn't work with bookmarks but I suppose it's goal is to create new documents only. This leaves me hanging as I need to update/improve existing pdf manuals and I can't just ditch their entire bookmark structure. Hummpffff!

Remember that Publisher is a free beta release of a new product. It is not yet complete, and lacks a number of features that it will eventually have. However, even the first retail version will probably lack features that some users will consider critical. 

It should not be used for production purposes at this point, anyway. And if it's missing something you need, you should just use the tool you would have used before you had Publisher available to play with.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 months later...

Hi Publisher Forum,

Not sure if this thread is still open or anybody still available to comment. OK so now that Publisher is a paid product I want to be sure about PDF bookmarks before I pass up on the introductory offer. So, nobody foresees Publisher being able to create a bookmark, meaning the links in the left pane that show the document's structure based on the TOC, it's still the case I suppose?

I tested LibreOffice and it creates them from the TOC, so the feature can't be that difficult to implement, but I suppose Publisher is more for paper printing than digital publishing. I need to create manuals for monitor and tablet viewing only and the client wants bookmarks of course, not just a TOC at the start of the manual.

If anybody has feedback or news on this then please send it along, and thanks in advance.

Regards, Kevin

Publisher can't do that yet, but it may be able to do so in the future.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 9 months later...

Hi Erwik,

Thank you for your update about PDF bookmarks, perhaps it will be a feature one day. Yes we can make them in a PDF tool like Acrobat, but every new publish we would lose the bookmarks, I suppose anyway.
I am also using Affinity Designer and am very happy with it, I switched from Xara to AD a year ago and am happy that I did.

Good luck with your work and please give me a shout if you see the bookmarks feature suddenly appear in AP!

Best Regards,
Kevin in Barcelona

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.