You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, thetasig said:

Lastly, some words cause the page numbers to wrap around to the next line or two lines. Is there a way to indent the second and subsequent lines of page numbers so that they are not sitting on the left margin?

Again, play with the paragraph style associated with the index entries. Paragraph spacing, first line indent, etc. can all be specified there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, Walt. However, I think my problem is a little bit deeper. I already had the "Include Section Headings" checked. I note that when it IS checked, there is a small unprintable character (tiny box) in grey at the upper left-hand corner of the index. I suspect that I have messed up the Text Styles through my ignorance of which one to change for font, color, etc. I see the one marked "Index Section Heading - and that one sounds like the one that displays the alphabetical character for the index. It is normally based on the "Index" style. However, no matter what I change in any of these index text styles, that unprintable character is either visible or not, but no actual, visible text (and there is only one unprintable character, not a string of them going down the alphabet.

So, the index was the last page - I've deleted the text frame and the page. Then recreated that page and opened a text frame with cursor inside. It won't let me insert the index - see screen shot. So now my task is "finding" the invisible index (and, really, I never actually inserted another index in the document purposely). Any ideas how to find and delete this phantom index? Could it be a bug? Thanks very much.

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 7.47.31 AM.png

6 minutes ago, thetasig said:

Any ideas how to find and delete this phantom index?

Check your Layers when you select the page your index was on.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I did learn, after carefully searching, that the actual index (text frame) was nowhere to be found after I had deleted it earlier. The s/w seemed to think there was another index somewhere else. Alas, not to be found. I had to delete the index from the Studio/Index panel. Then I recreated it all over again. I still think that ("cannot insert more than one index..." message) was a bug since I had been careful to add the index text frame only to the very last (new) page (and I deleted that one).

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bert00000 said:

My page numbering starts at page 9 (start of book content). How can I make my Index also to start counting on that page? Right now an index mark on page number 1, shows up in de index as being on page 9.

If there is no "book content" before page 9, then why is there an index mark before that?

What is on those 8 earlier pages?

There is evidently some kind of content, if you have an index mark, so maybe the pages should be numbered. If you create a separate section, you could number them i, ii, ..., viii as often happens for front-matter in a book, and the index should show those numbers.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi Walt,

Some of them are just white pages, one has copyrights on it, one has the title, etc...
Just pick up a book and you will see.
The good news:
Although the numbering in the panel is the absolute page (and not the numbered page),
once I generate the index, the numbers are correct, meaning the index items have the correct (numbered) page numbers.
So, an item on Page 1 shows up as being on page 9 in the index panel, but that same item has page number 1 once the index is generated.
I hope I make sense.
The only challenge left is to get the panel to do the same as the generated index.

8 hours ago, Bert00000 said:

Although the numbering in the panel is the absolute page (and not the numbered page),
once I generate the index, the numbers are correct, meaning the index items have the correct (numbered) page numbers.
So, an item on Page 1 shows up as being on page 9 in the index panel, but that same item has page number 1 once the index is generated.
I hope I make sense.
The only challenge left is to get the panel to do the same as the generated index.

Thanks for the clarification. It was not clear to me that you meant the numbers in the index panel, vs the numbers in the index itself.

I think it is probably intentional that the Index panel displays the physical page number, just as the Pages panel does.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Yannick said:

The shortcut shift+alt+cmd+(   doesn't work on MacOs Mojave

If you mean the shortcut for Text > Index > Insert Index Mark, it's Ctrl+Alt+Shift+[ on Windows (that's a left square bracket, not a left parenthesis).

-- Walt
PC:

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you mean the shortcut for Text > Index > Insert Index Mark, it's Ctrl+Alt+Shift+[ on Windows (that's a left square bracket, not a left parenthesis).

Square bracket doesn't exist on my keyboard. I replaced it by shift+alt+cmd+=. And it works.

• 3 months later...

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread. One way to make the process quicker is to use the Studio Index window. After doing a "Find" on an index topic (right-click), if you wish to remove all index marks from a topic, there is an "All" checkbox just above the first word item in the Topic list. Just unchecking that box will remove the index marks from all of those words in the document - or - add index marks to those found words. This page is very handy and saves lots of time, for one more feature there is that the "Find" will show any words that have not yet been indexed and give you the opportunity to check the boxes to include them. One certainly does not have to go through the document manually word-by-word to remove or add index marks.

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 10.26.04 AM.png

• 7 months later...

Using AFPub 1.8.3 on a Win10 desktop, when entering an index marker, the little dialog box displays an OK button with the O underlined, indicating that hitting Enter will activate the OK button.  This works well for one or a few index entries on a page, and then suddenly hitting Enter when the OK button shows crashes Publisher.  To avoid this I have to mouse the cursor over to the OK button and click the left mouse button; then it works.  Needless to say, for a 900-page document with a huge number of index entries, hitting Enter is a LOT faster than mousing over to the OK button and clicking on it.  

• 5 months later...

With a large index, it would be very helpful if after entering an index mark and hitting OK, the database table of existing index marks would refresh and focus on the newly entered index mark.  It would then be fast to decide whether to mark "All" or just some of the potential index hits.  Currently, after entering a new marker and clicking OK, I have to manually search up and down the index marker database table to find my new entry. 

Alternatively, the index marker entry dialog could automatically display all instances of the marked term and offer the decision whether to mark "All" or some.  Much faster and less work.  I'm dealing with a 1000-page manuscript with thousands of index entries.  

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Biggie said:

I am pretty new to the software. I have created an index, but when I insert it, it only adds the contents to the first page of the index, like A - C, the rest of the index does not appear? Where am I going wrong? 

The index has probably overflowed the text frame you put it in. You could Shift+Click on the red triangle on the lower right of the frame to have Publisher create additional pages and automatically flow the index onto them. Or you could create another text frame and link it from the first one, repeating until you get all of it.

-- Walt
PC:

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The index has probably overflowed the text frame you put it in. You could Shift+Click on the red triangle on the lower right of the frame to have Publisher create additional pages and automatically flow the index onto them. Or you could create another text frame and link it from the first one, repeating until you get all of it.

Thank you so much!!!!

I had been struggling with this for a couple of days and decided to try this forum. Your help is greatly appreciated, worked straight away! :)

You're welcome. Thanks for confirming it worked :)

-- Walt
PC: