You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change Master Page size can't be applied to existing pages

I started with A4 page size in the Master. After creating some 12 pages I decided to change to 12" x 12". So I  changed the Master to those dimensions. No matter how I did it, I could not get that change "applied" to any of the following pages (context menus "Apply to" at the Master itself, and context menus at each page or multiple pages). I had to manually change the "old" pages to the new size. After making the change to the Master all "add"ed pages have the correct size. Maybe I'm missing something?

What happened is that the text fields on the enlarged Master were applied to all of the document's pages. However, the dimensions of the Master (that I had changed to be larger) were not applied. Since the "Master A" now had a larger spread, all of the page's inherited text fields were outside the document's page dimensions - off the printed and visible page. I am at a loss to understand how that is good by design. I do understand how to use different Masters and spreads that can be applied to specific pages. But it would seem intuitive to me to be able to also apply other features, such as dimensions, of the Master to the document pages. Imagine having to manually change each page in a 100-page document from 10 x 10 inches to 12 x 12 inches.

19 minutes ago, thetasig said:

I am at a loss to understand how that is good by design.

I never said it was a good design, just that I believe it is by design (intentional).

20 minutes ago, thetasig said:

But it would seem intuitive to me to be able to also apply other features, such as dimensions, of the Master to the document pages.

Guides are applied in addition to the objects on the page.

20 minutes ago, thetasig said:

Imagine having to manually change each page in a 100-page document from 10 x 10 inches to 12 x 12 inches.

If you use Spread Setup there is an option to change them all at once (or selected pages).

Thanks - I had not realized that Apply Master (to pages) would not achieve the same result as using the Spread Setup. Is it only the dimensions that are not applied when using Apply Master to pages? I still think there is something a bit untuitive here. Recall that when I enlarged the master's dimensions, all the fields (in corners) ended up being rescaled and outside the actual page borders since the pages themselves did not also change size, just their fields moved. But glad to know how to do it in future.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.