You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reporting Localisation issues in Windows Publisher Beta #238

• Staff

The current Affinity Publisher Windows public beta has all UI locales available now, (so is no longer restricted to UK English).

In the Edit menu > Preferences > General you can choose any of the 10 languages, restart the application and experience Affinity Publisher in that locale.

We do not expect to have got all the localisation correct yet and possibly we are not using the standard terms, so if you see any words or phrases that are out of the ordinary, or are clipped/cropped short in the Windows build PLEASE report them in this thread, stating the language and version you are running and what OS you are seeing the problem on.

Use this thread (Do not make new threads) unless you are seeing a bug that does not happen in English, so Bugs in new threads, localisation issues in this thread

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

23 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Use this thread (Do not make new threads) unless you are seeing a bug that does not happen in English

Unless?? Aren’t bugs which don’t happen in English but do occur in other languages precisely what this “localisation” thread is for? o.O

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

We’re hoping to distinguish between functional issues, which would be best logged with the dev team, and pure translation issues - e.g. labels still in English, incorrect translations and cosmetic layout issues, which would be logged with the translators.

French localisation bugs

Huu… I'm confused too… I can post french localisation bugs here?
Ok, I'm crazy tonight, I'll post here and be kicked out or not ;)

I don't know if it's related to (missing?) localisation, but I can't open the Studio menu to display options, when the cursor is on Studio, the menu View and what seems to be a try to display the Studio's option disapear. (Work around: setting shortcut to display the missing panels).

And minors bugs:

2019-02-08_232549.png.e361834e8a5727f5ddbc0c90fbb436b3.png2019-02-08_232631.png.677ba30872c8ca31a91688ffe95fbbed.png2019-02-08_232718.png.f17517ce4181027cd1c73b9a16ae8ea2.png2019-02-08_232724.png.63358fb0581a5d0076e962e67f49d8e1.png2019-02-08_233010.png.1196a7db77d0cef063f9c1cf7bbd5b16.png

4 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Ok, I'm crazy tonight, I'll post here and be kicked out or not ;)

rotfl.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Wosven: check the language Preferences for the other (and older) Affinity applications/releases, too. Having the language names lower-case is not new :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

other (and older) Affinity applications/releases, too

Ouch… I only set French in the Bêta version and keep the others ones in English for screenshots, but I forget about that. I'm wondering if it counts for double or triple, or more… and if I'll win this game :P

A little thing i found in Topmenu --> Text. I can only speak for the german language.
Interactive can be translated to Interaktive Elemente
Insert Anchor
--> Anker einfügen
Insert Hyperlink
--> Hyperlink einfügen
Show Anchors
--> alle Anker anzeigen

So far this what i found. If i find more, i post it here :D

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

As mentioned in this topic it is not possible to Search within the Publisher Help if one has specified a UI language other than UK English. As that seems like a localization issue, I thought it should be mentioned here, too :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

German isn't a good language for programmes ... always too long :D

Panel paragraph (Absatz), area hyphenation (Silbentrennung). A few descriptions on the left side are cut off.

Panel fields (Felder), area Continuation is not translated into German. I don't even know what this is meant for in English.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to split the localisation issues into different languages? Maybe easier for the devs to track down the changes/errors?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

German

New document: Unnamed 1 -> Unbenannt 1

At tab bleed characters are cut off. We are already on tab Anschnitt, so you don't have to repeat it. Just name it Links, Rechts, Oben, Unten. Same applies for when Gegenüberliegende Seiten (Facing pages) are set. Just name it there Innen, Außen, Oben, Unten.

translation-german-1.jpg

Edited by Joachim_L
Adding additional information

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

German / 1.7.0.238 / Windows 8.1

Create a Ring (donut) from the toolbar and paint it. In the upper left corner it is now called Torte/Ring. Deselect the donut and select it again, then it is only called Ring. In fact donut and pie share the same functions, but still when it is called Ring in the toolbar the button is called Torte schließen, which should be here Ring schließen.

translation-german-3.jpg

------

The assets iOS 12 are not translated, but I don't mind, because I will never use them. I guess they were used as placeholder to show how things are working?

translation-german-4.jpg

------

Einstellungen (Preferences) Werkzeuge (Tools). I would translate Use Shift key to cycle tool groups to Umschalttaste verwenden, um durch die Werkzeugruppen zu schalten

This translation (and functionality) might be confusing, because this preference can only be used for text and for the various shapes. Is there a special need for an extra preference?

translation-german-6.jpg

Edited by Joachim_L
Better wording in translation

------

Quite the same as above, but might be wrong translation and/or bug?

Schrittweite für Verschiebung mit Modifier-Tasten is Modifier Nudge Distance, which means that the object is moved when I use e.g. SHIFT key + arrow down on the keyboard?

Is the SHIFT key the only modifier available? You talk here about Tasten, which means plural, but I can't find any other modifier to move. Then I would replace Modifier-Tasten with Umschalttaste.

So here come to the bug? If I press SHIFT + arrow down the object is moved only 0,847 mm down instead of 2,646 mm set in the preference. Update: I you fill in your own value e.g. 2 mm then the object is moved the correct distance.

translation-german-7.jpg

Edited by Joachim_L
Update marked in red

------

Panel Hyperlinks:

All Spreads to Alle Layoutseiten

Go to Source to Zum Ursprung springen or Zur Quelle springen

Go to Target to Zum Ziel springen

Add Hyperlink to Hyperlink hinzufügen

Remove Hyperlink to Hyperlink entfernen

translation-german-9.jpg

------

Panel Typografie. Just suggestions. I am not so firm in translating ...

1 = Ligaturen
2 = Alternativen
3 = Stilalternativen
4 = Stilset
5 = Ziffernstil
6 = Ziffernbreite
7 = Ziffernposition
8 = Großbuchstaben
9 = Unicase seems to be okay. Unikameral or Monokameral are terms I had to look up first
10 = Did not found a clever translation
11 = Means literally Großbuchstabenabstand. Don't know if this is meant here

typografie.jpg

------

Panel Fields (Felder). When this panel is displayed, it is too small, some words are cut of. Maybe it would be better, when the text is left aligned and the values are right aligned?

1 = Betreff
2 = Standardformat (just for the mouse over)
3 = Dokumentabschnitte or simply Abschnitte
4 = Abschnittsname
5 = Letzte Seite
6 = Letzte Seite des Abschnitts
7 = What is the function for this line? Does it mean last page of the document?
8 = Fortsetzung
9 = What is this for? Is really the previous frame meant? Then it is Vorheriger Rahmen
10 = Seitenzahl
11 = What is this for? Is really the next frame meant? Then it is Nächster Rahmen

fields.jpg

------

Text ruler. The boxes on the right seem to be cut off. In English it looks a little bit better ... but not good.

text-ruler.jpg

------

Bindehemmer = Better would be Umbruch verhindern or Worttrennung verhindern

Bindehemmer? Sounds to me like a chemical term. ;) What it is doing is to prevent hyphenation at the place where the Bindehemmer was inserted. In my opinion there should be a better way of preventing hyphenation. Perhaps I want to prevent hyphenation on the complete word Oberpostdirektionsstempelautomatenmechanikerlehrling. So I have to place the marker whereever a hyphenation can happen? It would be better to mark parts of the word for non-hyphenation.

bindehemmer.jpg

------