You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pressing Escape too many times knocks AD out of Full Screen?

I have the bad habit of pressing escape too many times to deselect an object. But since updating to 1.2 the additional escape presses knock AD outta Full Screen Mode and back to a single window.

It's a tad annoying but just wondering if this is an AD thing or a OS X Yosemite thing?

Cheers,

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

• Staff

Hi George,

I'm not getting this behaviour apart from when I have no documents open? If I have a current document and I am full screen, I can keep hammering the escape key and it never leaves full screen?

Thanks,

Matt

Hmmmm...

It happens to me when I have an object selected. I usually press the escape key to deselect but pressing it too many times pops me outta full screen. I forgot to mention I have AD open on my Cintiq 13HD. Dunno if that makes any difference.

It's a weird one.....

George

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

Just updated to 10.10.3 last night. Still having the occassional issue with this. I'll have to track down exactly what I'm doing to make this happen.

I'll get back to you.

George

In OS X in general, the Esc key is a system-wide shortcut tot exit full screen. I think it sucks because it's such a commonly used key AND usually when used, people tend to click it a few times, as in Oh S#!†!!! The same thing happens in Aperturefull-screen mode as well...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Yup, just noticed the same thing happen in Excel when I had it full screen. Hitting esc knocked it out of full screen and into windowed mode. A little annoying.....

George

• Staff

Hi George,

I've tried it on both my machines at work and I've asked AndyT to try his as well and can confirm that as long as you've got a document open, hitting Escape doesn't exit full screen mode - we deliberately soak up the message to stop you accidentally exiting the full screen mode... So I don't know what the difference is between our machines and yours? :S

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, think I can recreate what happens.

I have a layer selected and then went to the opacity box and typed in a value to reduce it from 100% (say 80%). So now before pressing escape, the layer is highlighted blue and there's a bounding box in the image. There's also a blue outline around the Opacity value entry box. Now when I hit escape too many times it drops me out of Full Screen.

Weird.

George

Why then do you press Esc too many times?

Sounds like "If I fill my glass of wine too many times, I end up over the pan puking" and trying to blame someone else for it.

But I also think that using ESC to exit full screen was a very bad decision of Apple, maybe we should all open support tickets to make them change it.

• Staff

Ah, think I can recreate what happens.

I have a layer selected and then went to the opacity box and typed in a value to reduce it from 100% (say 80%). So now before pressing escape, the layer is highlighted blue and there's a bounding box in the image. There's also a blue outline around the Opacity value entry box. Now when I hit escape too many times it drops me out of Full Screen.

Weird.

George

Ah, thanks for that - that sounds like something that's probably fixable then... I'll talk to Andy Tang about it and see what he says :)

• 5 years later...

Same happens to me with Numbers, Pages, Safari, Music, GarageBand, Photos, Script Editor, Automator, TV, Keynote, Calendar, Scrivener... It's a Mac thing.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.