You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

First to introduce me:

I´m a professional photographer for 35 years, with experience in many cases of professional photography, developing b&w, color negative, color positive processes, digital photography from its beginning, colormanagement. Meanwhile I work in a public photo archive with 100.000´s of photos from historical until now. About 90% are b&w photos. Digitalization of these photos and managing them in a DAM is my main work here.

Right now I try to get a workflow with applications out of Adobe. But there seems to be a bug on the interface between CaptureOne and Affinity Photo.

In CaptureOne 10 I export a b&w-file with embedded profile Gray Gamma 2.2.

In Affinity Photo (V1.6.5.123) the settings for colormanagement is Gray Gamma 2.2 for b&w-files.

When I open the exportet b&w-TIFF with embedded Profile, AP opens it in the Develpo Persona, shows the file extremely bright an assigns the profile for RGB to the photo because AP couldn´t recognize  any embedded profile. I can´t rescue the file by assinig other profiles or by developing the file to what it should look like.

If I open the same file in Photoshop with the same colormangement-settings, the file will be opened correctly without any profile-warnings.

If I "save  under..." this file without any changes, but with a new name in Photoshop and open this in AP, it will be opened correctly with the right profile an the right brightness.

Any hints for wrong settings or steps in my workflow?

Greetings Mikelike

Screen_AP_PS_Grayscale_bug.jpg

It would also be helpful to know how the B/W images were scanned. For example, there are known problems with Affinity Photo handling grayscale TIFF images scanned using VueScan.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi!

I digitalized the original 35mm-b&w-negative with a Nikon D800e, tethered with CaptureOne. Because of the hint of walt.farell about VueScan I tested scanning a slide with a Nikon Coolscan 8000 in b&w-mode and the scan-applications NikonScan4 and Silverfast 8.8.

The results:

D800 file, developed in C1, exported as sRGB-JPEG, opening in Afinity Photo (AP) is ok.
D800 file, developed in C1, exported as Gamma 2.2-JPEG, opening in AP is ok.
D800 file, developed in C1, exported as Gamma2.2-16bit-Tiff, opening in Photoshop is ok.
                                                                                           same file, opening in AP converts to RGB-working-profile, too bright!!!
                                                                                           same file, opening in PS, saved as Gamma 2.2-Tiff, opening in AP is ok.
Scanned with NikonCoolscan 8000ED, NikonScan4, as Gamma 2.2-16bit-Tiff, opening in AP is ok!!!
Scanned with NikonCoolscan 8000ED, SilverFast8.8, as Gamma 2.2-16bit-Tiff, opening in AP converts to RGB-working-profile, too bright!!!

The original files are attached.

Mikelike

AP_Test_ND800_C1_eciV2_16bit.tif

AP_Test_ND800_C1_Gamma22.jpg

AP_Test_ND800_C1_Gamma22_16bit.tif

AP_Test_ND800_C1_Gamma22_16bit_SavedPS.tif

AP_Test_NikonScan_16bit_Gamma22.tif

AP_Test_SilverFast88_16bit_Gamma22.tif

AP_Test_sRGB.jpg

One comment: the issue isn't really with color profile conversion. It's that the files are being opened in the Develop Persona. That should not happen; they should open in the Photo Persona, as they are not raw files.

The underlying problem seems to be with some grayscale 16-bit TIFFs.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

7 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

What happens if you choose the correct ICC profile when

I tried downloading one of the problem photos from the selection that mikelike supplied. It opens properly in Photo Beta 1.7.0.231, and incorrectly in Photo 1.6.5.123.

In 1.6.5.123 I tried your idea, Gabe, but only the RGB profiles were available in that list, so that approach doesn't seem to work. It's good to see that it's fixed in the beta, though.

It's only partially fixed in the beta. Mikelike's AP_Test_ND800_C1_Gamma22_16bit.tif opens incorrectly in the beta, too. But AP_Test_SilverFast88_16bit_Gamma22.tif opened correctly.

-- Walt
PC:

Nothing happened. In my case with the too bright opened and in RGB converted file, I can check the box for profiles, but can only choose all RGB profiles in my system an only one wrong Grayscale-Profile (Epson Standard 1.8).  At this point I can set how the files will be developed for further processing in the photo-persona but NOT how AP opens 16bit-Tiff-b&w-file correctly

mikelike

@mikelike You can recheck with the Photo Beta 1.7.0.231 Windows version. - There are sometimes problems with TIFF file handling in the actual release version, which treats some cam vendor generated TIFFs as RAW files then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

@mikelike You can recheck with the Photo Beta 1.7.0.231 Windows version. - There are sometimes problems with TIFF file handling in the actual release version, which treats some cam vendor generated TIFFs as RAW files then.

As I mentioned above, some of the samples mikelike provided now work in 1.7.0.231, but some still fail.

-- Walt
PC:

Horrible news in the morning :-(

One thing is better: The scanned Tiff with Nikon Coolscan and SilverFast8.8 now will be opened correctly.

BUT:
Opening the CaptureOne exported TIFF from the D800E   AP1.7Beta still assignes the RGB-working-profile and shows a file much too bright an meanwhile fully magenta.
Opening the new CaptureOne exported TIFF from an OM-D E M1 MKII   AP1.7Beta also assignes the RGB-working-profile and shows a file much too bright an a colorful chaos.

The new OMD-File and a screenshot is attached.

GoodMorningGreetings

mikelike

AP_Test_OMD_C1_Gamma22_16bi.tif

AP1.7Beta_Test_Screenshot_OMD_D800.JPG

And it´s going on:

In this case I have to digitalize several negatives for a customer. Because exporting Tiffs out of C1and editing them in AP doesn´t work right now (see above), I did it directly. I opened the raw-files (scans of negatives with D800e) in AP 1.6, edited them and exported as AP-file with layers and as grayscale-Tiff 8bit.

But even AP has problems with it´s own from origin-raw generated tiff-files! They will be opened in AP like above, no profile will be recognized, so the RGB-profile will be assigned. But the file still remains as grayscale file (?)! Opening these tiff-files in PS, the profile will be defined as not readable and will be ignored, the file will be opened as grayscale with Gamma 2.2 profile. In Lightroom and in C1 these files (Original NEF-RAW, edited in AP, exported as 8bit Tiff, Gamma 2.2 Profile) will be imported but no preview can be developed.

One exception: I scanned one negative with the Coolscan and NikonScan4. This file, edited in AP and exported like the others, has no problems being opened and shown in AP, PS, LR and C1.

Good news: this means processing the files in AP 1.6. I tested some of the photos by opening the saved .afphoto-files in AP1.7beta and exporting them as tiffs like above. These files from AP1.7beta don´t make problems any more with being opened in all other applications.

mikelike

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi mikelike and all,
The issues with the TIFF's referenced on this thread should all be fixed in the latest Affinity Photo Customer Betas:
Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.7.0.112) for Macinstosh
Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta (1.7.0.258) for Windows

If you still have trouble with some TIFF files please let us know creating a new thread in the respective beta forum section. Thanks.