You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer iPad for iPhone (split)

On 1/23/2019 at 10:01 AM, MEB said:

The Help file available in the apps cover/describe all the functionality/features available on each app - it's the closest equivalent of a printed manual. If you already have some experience with other design/photo editing apps you shouldn't have much trouble translating their workflows into Affinity l(et us know if something isn't clear enough). If you want to learn a little bit more about their use in practise take at the official video tutorials which are quite extensive and show how to use most of these features in detail:

Desktop:

iPad:

Also don't miss Affinity Spotlight - besides the behind the scenes, news and inspiration sections it also has a learning section with tutorials covering various aspects of the apps.

The Workbooks are intended to go a step further. Rather than being just focused on describing/detailing the program's capabilities/features as manuals do, they are project based tutorials (plus working/sample files) - some of them written/provided by third parties/authors - that focus/teach how to approach certain tasks/workflows and design/photo editing projects from scratch, while getting the most out of the app's features/capabilities - they are more than just manuals thus being sold as independent books.

These are just the official resources. If you look around, most social networks and learning sites (YouTube, Vimeo, Skillshare, Udemy, Lynda.com just to mention a few) already provide quite a lot of tutorials - some for free - here's a few for Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer (also written tutorials for Affinity Designer here).

Is the iPad version also works on the iPhone?

• Staff

@Mariaxx

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Affinity Designer for iPad software does not work on an iPhone, no. The screen is too small for the interface and to small for the accuracy you would need to adjust the controls of the iPad version.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 months later...

Hi! Does it make sense to wait for the light version for the iPhone in the near future?

I really miss the pocket vector editor for accurate sketches ... with symmetry and sticking on the grid

Or can you recommend an application from another manufacturer? ;-)

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, rbrx said:

I'm also waiting for an iPhone version...

@Patrick Connor has already explained why there isn’t (going to be) one. Apple have only recently released the iPad Mini 5 which — unlike earlier iPad Minis — has a large enough screen for the Affinity apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2019 at 11:47 AM, Alfred said:

@Patrick Connor has already explained why there isn’t (going to be) one. Apple have only recently released the iPad Mini 5 which — unlike earlier iPad Minis — has a large enough screen for the Affinity apps.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The display size of iPad mini 2, 3, 4 and 5 are the same, the resolution is the same and the aspect ratio is the same. (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iOS_devices#iPad_Mini) The most notable difference is the much faster CPU used by iPad mini 5 and 1GB more RAM for 5 compared to 4, the latter of which may only be accessible by the OS. That range of CPU power is available to iPhones as well, though. Especially when considering 2018 iPad 9.7 inch (6th generation), which does run Photo and Designer:

iPad mini 5:
    2,49 GHz hexa-core
    3.145.728px (same for 2, 3, 4)

iPad (6th generation)
    2,34 GHz quad-core, A10, M10
    3.145.728px

iPhone 8:
    2,39 GHz hexa-core
    1.000.500px, 2.073.600px (Plus)

iPhone X:
    2,39 GHz hexa-core
    2.740.500px

iPhone XS, XS Max, XR:
    2,49 GHz hexa-core
    2.740.500px (XS), 3.338.496px (XS Max), 1.483,776px (XR)

iPhone SE:
    1,85 GHz dual-core, M9
    727.040px

I am using iPhone SE for painting using Procreate Pocket (, which includes about the ratio of features compared to Procreate for iPad as Affinity Photo for iPad compared to Photo for desktop) and it works very well. It will be somewhat slower when using demanding brushes in 4 mirrored mode, but that's to be expected when comparing the CPU specs to, for example, iPhone XS. Of course, the UI layout is different from the iPad version. Then again, it makes sense, since its aspect ratio is different.
If Serif considers the iPhone market not interested enough for their products, especially compared to the major effort that would be required to create UI that suits the iPhone, that's understandable. But considering hardware only, I don't understand why there wouldn't be iPhone versions. Personally, I would even buy Publisher for iPhone.

Just for reference, there are a few topics about iPhone versions:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/93108-iphone-app/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/83494-pocket-version-for-iphone/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/78555-affinity-designer-ipad-for-iphone-split/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/76941-affinity-photo-for-iphone/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/47837-iphone-version/

On 6/8/2019 at 10:47 AM, Alfred said:

@Patrick Connor has already explained why there isn’t [going to be an iPhone version]. Apple have only recently released the iPad Mini 5 which — unlike earlier iPad Minis — has a large enough screen for the Affinity apps.

57 minutes ago, shushustorm said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

And I’m not sure where I got that from! Anyway, the main point is that the earlier iPad Minis and iPhones aren’t powerful enough, and the iPhone screens are (still) too small.

The display size of iPad mini 2, 3, 4 and 5 are the same, the resolution is the same and the aspect ratio is the same. (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iOS_devices#iPad_Mini)

Thanks.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

And I’m not sure where I got that from! Anyway, the main point is that the earlier iPad Minis and iPhones aren’t powerful enough, and the iPhone screens are (still) too small.

Thanks.

I do think it's not an issue of too small screen size. Personally, I would even prefer the size of the display of the iPhone SE, with there being much larger phones now, which I find very inconvenient. The reason I think both Designer and Photo could run flawlessly on a 4.7 inch iPhone is that UI doesn't need to be scaled, as I described here: 

2 hours ago, shushustorm said:

I do think it's not an issue of too small screen size.

As I have explained at some length in a different way in the other topic, it is the ratio of the size of normal adult sized fingertips to the size of the screen that is the fundamental size issue.

That sets a lower limit on the spacing of tappable items, which in turn determines how many of them can be displayed simultaneously on the screen & how much space is left for viewing the document itself.

Considering that there are literally hundreds of tappable items in the Affinity iOS UI, why this is a 'deal breaking' issue should be obvious.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi @RubSwitzerland,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I believe that Affinity users on the iPad use Documents by Readdle to store and sort Affinity documents, and I believe this can also preview native Affinity files, by displaying the embedded thumbnail image.

I have not personally tried this on an iPhone, however the Documents app is free, so I recommend giving this a try!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!