You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi to forum members,  This 71 year old computer illiterate has run into a stumbling block which with my decaying grey cells, I don't seem to find an answer.  I have managed to create a new brush as my signature from a png file.  But I can't see how to make the brush remember, as a default setting, the colour of this signature.  Every time I open the signature brush it has defaulted to Black & White again.

Could anyone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks in advance for reading the above.   John Edwin Skelton in exile in the Slovak Republic.

If you want an image brush to be a particular colour why not do it in that colour, so lets say you want a sig in red...

Lets say the sig is your name KitKat1947

1. New File, make sure it has a transparent background
  2. Type "KitKat1947" in a font you like
  3. Colour the font to red
  4. Make sure you have the move tool selected and the layer selected
  5. Now export that selection to a png file without a background
  6. You can now create an image brush and use the exported png file, the brush will be red and stay red regardless of the colour in the colour and or swatches panels

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Just to elaborate a bit more about brushes....

There are two type of brushes you could have created for your signature

Intensity and Image

An Intensity brush will get its colour from the colour you set for it in the colour panel

An Image brush will keep the colours from the image you created it from (and you cannot change them in the colour panel)

You created an Intensity brush - you may want to recreate your brush as an Image brush if you only ever want it to stay the same colours as the original image you created it from

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi to Firstdefence and Carl 123,

Your information was spot on................  I had missed the information or the point was not highlighted about the two types of brushes when I had been watching a video (not created by Affinity).

Your help is really appreciated.  I am sorry that I can't offer you both a beer (see attached jpeg). However if you are ever in Slovakia, please don't hesitate in contacting me in Banska Bystrica (Central Slovakia).sladkov-glass-4-cut-1-800-web.thumb.jpg.2a5d0e0710b7ec8c1c6eef4fddff244c.jpg

@KitKat1947 All of a sudden I feel thirsty :D 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Radegast is a Czech beer.  This is a very hoppy IPA brew on tap in my local Pizza restaurant, only in February at Euro 1.60 for a 400 ml glass. 

The pictures were snapped very quickly on my Samsung S8.  So they are not the best pictures but I want to try to persuade the landlord to make some table stand up cards to promote this rather tasty brew............

sladkov-pouring-cut-1-700-web.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2019 at 3:16 AM, carl123 said:

Just to elaborate a bit more about brushes....

There are two type of brushes you could have created for your signature

Intensity and Image

An Intensity brush will get its colour from the colour you set for it in the colour panel

An Image brush will keep the colours from the image you created it from (and you cannot change them in the colour panel)

You created an Intensity brush - you may want to recreate your brush as an Image brush if you only ever want it to stay the same colours as the original image you created it from

Great googlymooglies am I glad I found this. Spent an hour trying to change the color of my IMAGE brush. This distinction seems impossibly and unnecessarily arcane. Why not "static image brush" and "you can change the color h'ray image brush" ?

Thanks infinitely, @carl123

• 3 weeks later...

i must be missing somthign here . im having the same problem as kitkat was except when i try textured image brush and textured intensity brush i am either unable to change the color or the color of th swatch im trying to use dosnt match the markings the brush makes. im just creating simple shapes ,filling them with a color and saveing them as a png. then creating a new brush from that png. if i make the shape fully black i cant change the color at all. if i make the shape another color it seems that any color i try to use with that brush becomes a combinations of the swatch that im attempting to use and the original color of the png/brush.how do you make a custom brush shape with out having the "baggage" of its original color affect every color swatch you wish to use with it.

1 hour ago, imadumb said:

how do you make a custom brush shape with out having the "baggage" of its original color affect every color swatch you wish to use with it.

Start with a white image on a black background when building your brush?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Start with a white image on a black background when building your brush?

the back ground shouldnt matter because im useing the eport without background option. and white brush makes the color of the swatch i wish to use show up as if it is mixed with white.

if i want green , i get a faded white-mixed green color as apposed to the pure green of the swatch i wish to select.

and while im here.... my new issue is i dont know how to collapse a layer in the layers panel. i dont need to see where each any every stroke i make is in the layers panel. and its a pain to navigate through layers in a vector painting when each layer is displaying each and every mark ive made in that layer--- figured it out. i guess not every object has to be on a layer? and you dont actually start your document out with any layers. so if you just start painting over say, a photo youve imported with out creating an original layer your just making a bunch of strokes that you cant collapse in the layers panel. and all those strokes appear to be in the layer above , i almost broke my head trying to figure out why only half my layer would collapse

Edited by imadumb

On 12/5/2020 at 4:29 PM, imadumb said:

the back ground shouldnt matter because im useing the eport without background option. and white brush makes the color of the swatch i wish to use show up as if it is mixed with white.

The background does seem to matter, though.

First, I'm assuming that you're in Photo, and you're making an Intensity brush. Make the brush black, on a white background, and export Selection with Background. For example, I used this 64x64 px PNG image: arrow.png.a581fd512830477b227d557bf636f60f.png

The brush should properly use the colors you set.

Here's just one (of many) tutorials I found via Google search for tutorials on creating intensity brushes in Affinity Photo:

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

(And sorry, I seem to have had the colors reversed in my earlier post.)

-- Walt
PC: