You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why does Affinity Photo have a "place" option?

I know what a smart object is and why, for instance, "Place" is used in Photoshop Elements.   However, as I understand it, Affinity Photo images are all smart objects, therefore I am confused as to why it is necessary to have a "Place" option in the menu?  There must be a use for it, so I am keen to understand what it is.

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

...  or just "Open" instead, Fixx?  Why do people "like" to place images, why a seemingly unnecessary step?

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

FWIW, The Place command (or Drag & Drop) 'places' different things on the canvas depending on if the item is an Affinity format file, a "flat" single layer raster image file, a mixed content multi-layer capable file type like SVG or EPS, etc. Only flat raster image files are imported as "(Image)" layers; everything else is (I think) imported as an "(Embedded document)" layer. Editing the content of an embedded document layer is done in a separate workspace window or tab titled "<Embedded>" (as if a copy of the file had been opened normally) but it is still a part of the 'parent' document it is embedded in. It cannot be saved separately; closing the "<Embedded>" window or tab automatically applies the edits to the parent document. Alternately, an embedded document layer can be rasterized, but that flattens it & removes its layer structure, converting it to a single pixel layer in the same way doing that to an "(Image)" layer does.

Copy & Paste works more or less the same way -- what you get depends on what is on the clipboard when the paste is done.

Aside from that, Place differs from Drag & Drop or Copy & Paste only in that Paste gives you immediate direct control over the size & position of the item being added to the parent document. Since you can change the size & position afterwards anyway, it isn't a big difference but it can save a step, which is probably why some people prefer it.

Another possible reason is since "Place" is a command on the File menu, it can be given a keyboard shortcut. Since that immediately opens a window where the file to place can be selected, it works when it would otherwise be inconvenient to rearrange or uncover windows to do a drag, or when it isn't desirable to change the contents of the clipboard for a copy & paste.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Many thanks for your very helpful explanations.   RC-R - I am saving your comments on a file on my PC for reference whenever necessary.

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6