You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

when printing, paper size reverts to 8.5x11

When printing from Photo 1.6.5.123 I use the Canon printer driver to set the paper size to 4x6, but the print preview in Photo shows the paper size to be 8.5x11. Other applications I print from don't do this so it isn't the driver. This is new behavior; I've printed to all different paper sizes before but I don't know if I've printed since going to this version of Photo.

I've tried leaving the document at it's original size and using "scale to fit" in the print dialog, and I've tried sizing the document to 4x6. Regardless, the preview shows paper size of 8.5x11.

I'm using windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.

Edit: I went back to ver 1.6.4 and it does the same thing. And it does it with different images. So if it's not the driver and it's not the version of Photo, and it's not the image, that kind of leaves "user error." But I've been using Photo for over 18 months. So does anyone have any ideas?

• Staff

Hi ncJohn :)

Please open File>Print and check the Layout tab on the left hand side of the dialog. Is Paper Size set to Defined by Driver here?

Could you please provide a screenshot of your Affinity Print settings, then select Properties for your printer and provide me with a few screenshots of these settings?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan. 

"Defined by driver" is what I was looking for! For some reason it was defaulting to "custom"; I felt like there was supposed to be another option but I couldn't think of what it was, and when it defaulted to "custom", "defined by driver" was hidden.

Thanks a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

is there a way to make it default to "defined by driver"? It's defaulting to "custom" and this is new behavior.

Edit: I just realized it's not defaulting to "custom"; when I first open AP and go to print, it defaults to "defined by driver" but then when I go to the printer driver to make settings, when I come back to AP it's set to "custom."

• Staff
On 2/23/2019 at 2:27 AM, ncJohn said:

but then when I go to the printer driver to make settings, when I come back to AP it's set to "custom."

Are you opening File>Print, then selecting Properties and changing the printers settings, before returning to AP?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

9 hours ago, Dan C said:

Are you opening File>Print, then selecting Properties and changing the printers settings, before returning to AP?

Sure, always. But finding the paper size set to "custom" is a new experience.

In the "official" Affinity printing tutorial video, when he first goes to the printing dialog, the paper size is set to "defined by driver." He then goes to the printer driver and makes his settings, and when he comes back to the Affinity printing dialog it's still set to "defined by driver." That's what I used to find also.

• Staff

Thanks for that :)

Could you please confirm, are you changing the Printer using the dropdown list in Affinitys Print dialog before changing the Properties? (ie you're printing from a printer that is not your System Default)

23 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for that :)

Could you please confirm, are you changing the Printer using the dropdown list in Affinitys Print dialog before changing the Properties? (ie you're printing from a printer that is not your System Default)

That's correct; the system default is an office printer so the first step in using the AP print dialog is to change to the photo printer.

I've also experimented and found more of the puzzle. This is what I know of the problem, in total: 

• When I first start AP, the print dialog defaults to "Defined by driver." 
  • When I choose my photo printer and go to the printer driver and make settings, if I leave the paper size at 8.5x11 (the default in the printer driver) when I come back to the AP print dialog it shows the paper size as "Letter" (not Custom).
  • But if I choose any other paper size in the printer driver, when I come back to AP it shows "Custom" even though the paper sizes chosen (4x6, 5x7, etc) are available in the AP paper size drop-down.
  • After finding the AP paper size set to "Custom," if I then go right back to the printer driver (instead of printing) the printer driver's paper size is now set to "Custom," instead of showing the paper size I had actually chosen. The printer driver should still show the paper size I chose; it's like it picked Custom up from AP.
  • Thinking the problem might be the printer driver, I checked with PS Elements and XnViewMP and printing functions as it should with those apps and the photo printer.

Edit: It has to do with which printer is the system default printer. If I make the photo printer the system default, then it behaves properly with AP. That is to say, AP defaults to paper size "defined by printer" and stays that way after the settings have been made in the printer driver. But then when I try to print to the non-default printer (my office printer), when I come back to AP after making settings in the printer driver, the AP paper size is set to "Custom."

AP is behaving properly only with the system default printer.

Edited by ncJohn
new information