something very essential, to make any font look equal and better readable.

it is greatly missed and i know not only by me.. am i blind not to find it or is it going to be implemented?

this was discussed so far as a mere side product of other discussions from what i found.

Currently this can be done manually or based on data that is provided with a font, under the Optical Alignment section of the Character panel.

"Automatic" optical alignment is not currently supported.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

Currently this can be done manually or based on data that is provided with a font, under the Optical Alignment section of the Character panel.

"Automatic" optical alignment is not currently supported.

Optical kerning is not optical alignment. 

It has been stated optical kerning is not being worked on. 

The font's kern tables are used and this automatic kerning can be further tweaked using manual kerning and or tracking. These manual adjustments can further be used globally via text styles. 

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

10 hours ago, MikeW said:

It has been stated optical kerning is not being worked on. 

thanks for chiming in. have you got a link at hand? i searched but i found only side babbles about it but no actual staff statement.

10 hours ago, MikeW said:

The font's kern tables are used and this automatic kerning can be further tweaked using manual kerning and or tracking. These manual adjustments can further be used globally via text styles. 

where can they be adjusted to tracking and how would you adjust it manually that it remember which letters need less or more space?

I would need to do a thorough search as well, but as I commented in the thread, it might be easier for me. 

Unlike QXP, there are no kerning tables one can thereafter automatically adjust pairs. One only can set a value for the entire font.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Try this response from Dave Harris:

Mike

5 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

No news, nor is there likely to be any

thanks Dave, is there a short explanation why this is not considered crucial enough?