You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've had this before and for the life of me cannot figure it out again and it's driving me nuts! The healing patch/blemish/in-painting tools are "inverting" the colours. I'm sure it's something really simple; something I need to click on but I just can't remember what. Attached an example using the patch tool..... any help gratefully received :)

EDIT: okay, perhaps my use of the word “inverted” was misleading (I know what inverted truly looks like). In future I’ll try to be more specific (sigh, such a newbie) ... I just couldn’t think of how to describe the weird, distorted “rainbow” effect I’m getting using ANY of the aforementioned tools. I know how/when to use the tools and this effect I’m sure is due to a setting somewhere. I’m not an expert user (hence why I’m on here) so still learning. I’m just kindly asking for a solution rather than a lesion on tool use. Any solution would be awesome! Thanks.

Screenshot 2019-02-06 at 19.31.35.jpg

That isn't an inverted response, an invert response looks like this

Screen-Shot-2019-02-07-at-07-23-29.png

You might have some colour filters applied below. Also you can do this nondestructively by creating a pixel layer above the image and selecting current layer & Below to patch clone from. Be aware that any effects or filters will have an affect on the cloning so try with the filters and effects turned off

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I am not sure about the others but for me the Patch Tool does not seem to be working as I would expect it to. For example, using this Pixabay jpeg as a test image, the leafy area to the left of the girl's face looks like this:
original.jpg.187ce1689da12d19b8924b4a9b6db7e2.jpg

Using the default Patch Tool settings, I marquee-selected a roundish part of that leafy area & moved the pointer over the bridge of the girl's nose. From what the Patch Tool help topic says, I expected the selection to be completely replaced with pixels from her face, but as you can see some kind of blending between the selection & face is what I get:

patched.jpg.ddf6a7af1a5910bdebce5557c8c0e96f.jpg

This is a single pixel layer document with no filters or other adjustments applied, exactly as it opens from the pixabay download, so that is not a factor.

EDIT: I also get the same blended result if I add a new pixel layer & apply the patch to it by using the Current Layer & Below setting, or if I use the Selection is source setting & marquee-select the face & try to patch the leafy area with that as the source.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Patching, like healing, blends the target pixels with the sample pixels by matching the texture, tone, and transparency of the sample pixels with the target pixels. When patching, you can also select whether to only apply the texture of the source to the target and whether there is a level of transparency applied.

Using the Clone tool not the Patch Tool will get you a replication of the selected area.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-07-at-11-01-23.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

@R C-R  This is working as expected.  If you look at the help topic titled 'Patching' It states: 

About Patching, like healing, blends the target pixels with the sample pixels by matching the texture, tone, and transparency of the sample pixels with the target pixels. When patching, you can also select whether to only apply the texture of the source to the target and whether there is a level of transparency applied.

So in this case, it's blending the girls face with the green from the leaves.  The exact same progress in Photoshop gives the same results as well.  I think we could do with updating the description for the Patch Tool, so it mentions there will be a blend of pixels from the selection.

11 minutes ago, stokerg said:

@R C-R  This is working as expected.  If you look at the help topic titled 'Patching' It states: 

About Patching, like healing, blends the target pixels with the sample pixels by matching the texture, tone, and transparency of the sample pixels with the target pixels. When patching, you can also select whether to only apply the texture of the source to the target and whether there is a level of transparency applied.

OK, but consider that the Patch Tool help topic says (among other things)

Transparent—if this option is off (default), the source area is placed on the target area as fully opaque.

The word "tone" is not mentioned in that topic at all & the "Texture Only" entry says with that option off hue info is preserved, which is a bit ambiguous. Either way, "fully opaque" implies (at least to me) no matching at all, just a pixel-for-pixel replacement.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

OK, but consider that the Patch Tool help topic says (among other things)

Which is why i said 'I think we could do with updating the description for the Patch Tool.' :) 

We certainly need to mention about the Tone as well as give a more detailed and correct description of the different options on the tool.  I'll get this logged with the Docs Team :) 

9 minutes ago, stokerg said:

We certainly need to mention about the Tone as well as give a more detailed and correct description of the different options on the tool.  I'll get this logged with the Docs Team :) 

Thanks. I am particularly interested in a better description of what the Transparent option actually does, the difference between "tone" & the "hue" property of the HSL color model (assuming that is what hue means in this context), & in general better info about how hue, tone, & color are used in different contexts.

P.S. I still think the "Color Replacement Brush" should be named "Hue Replacement Brush" because that seems to be what it is! :)

Affinity Photo