You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Beta New Version .231 'Develop' does not work Properly

I have just updated to the new Beta version .231. I am on windows 7, I took in a Raw file Nikon .NEF spent some time in develop persona as I always do, having got my image as I wanted it I pressed 'Develop' to move to the main Photo persona, after the usual pause the picture came up as expected, but a second or so later it changed to be extremely pale, over exposed or High Key, almost unrecognisable. Certainly not usable. 

I re-booted, chose a different file, still a Nikon .NEF, did no work in develop, and took it straight into Photo person, the same thing happened, an unworkable image on the screen. I have been using Affinity Photo since day 1,. and I have been using the last beta version .209 very successfully, I updated today and, as a result,  I now have no photo editing software. I have taken a couple of screen prints to show the effect, and I have put them in a word document, attached to illustrate the issue

Please Help

Dave

Affinity Photo develop problem.docx

Edited by squeezer
to add word document with screen dumps to show problem

Regardless of the solution provided, the software is not working as expected. I agree, it is a fault, (I used a Canon CR2). The solution does work in the interim.

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

42 minutes ago, >|< said:

You don't need to roll back the beta.

Problem: the gamma-encoded 16 bpc image output from Develop should have been assigned a non-linear profile but it has a linear profile (sRGB Linear in your case).

Solution: use Document > Assign ICC Profile to assign the non-linear version of the profile (sRGB in your case).

Alternatively, set Develop Assistant to output a 32 bpc image, develop the raw file and then convert the document to 16 bpc or export a 16 bpc image from it.

There is NO 'sRGB' option that I can see ony linear versions of one form or another.

is this another bug? 

I have tried the other work around. I set the Develop assistant to output 32 bits image, not much luck so I activated 'apply tone curve' in addition. I am still not convinced, but it is better.

13 hours ago, >|< said:

The solution I provided works for other people, so I guess you have a different problem or you are not doing something that they are.

Can you spell out precisely the steps to find this 'non linear sRGB', because it does not seem to be an option in the menu that I think your are pointing me to?

which Persona, which menu, which sub heading please, or post a screen shot?

• Staff

Hi squeezer,
Open a RAW file go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager..., make sure the RAW output format is set to RGB (16bit). If it's already set as such, develop the file and you should be able to assign the non linear profile going to menu Document ▸ Assign ICC Profile (the sRGB is usually on the bottom of the list). If the RAW output format was set to 32 bit, change to 16 bit, close the RAW file and re-open it again. Follow the steps I described in. the beginning of this post.

4 hours ago, squeezer said:

Thank MEB, I will try this out this evening

Dave

The bottom of the list that I have is: sRCB IEC61966 -2.1  is that what you want me to use. I tried the 32bit and that option was not there?

Can I make affinity remember these settings or do I have to do it on each and every picture?

On 2/7/2019 at 3:21 AM, Rusty Arrow said:

Same problem with Nikon and Olympus files , Assign ICC Profile to assign to my calibrated monitor profile and it corrects it, however I dont wish to have to fiddle with this each time. 

I am not sure if you should assign your calibrated monitor profile in there. Ideally you should assign the profile the camera assigns to the image. If you assign the calibrated profile again, then there is no use of calibrating. The calibrated profile is already used by your monitor and you monitor is showing colors correctly. 

On 2/7/2019 at 5:25 AM, MEB said:

Hi squeezer,
Open a RAW file go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager..., make sure the RAW output format is set to RGB (16bit). If it's already set as such, develop the file and you should be able to assign the non linear profile going to menu Document ▸ Assign ICC Profile (the sRGB is usually on the bottom of the list). If the RAW output format was set to 32 bit, change to 16 bit, close the RAW file and re-open it again. Follow the steps I described in. the beginning of this post.

So """Document ▸ Assign ICC Profile""" should be done by user every time they open a raw file right? (until this is fixed)

Whilst all this is very interesting, it means that whenever we want to use Affinity Photo, we have to work around this bug, so when is it going to be fixed? it was not there before on Photo 1.6 so the fix should be pretty straightforward, time scales please?

Dave

1 hour ago, >|< said:

Why the song and dance about a bug in a beta? The workaround is trivial but slightly inconvenient. Don't use beta software if new bugs annoy you so much. 

+1

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

4 hours ago, squeezer said:

I am not seeing too much benefit from this new beta, and one very big problem. I am not saying that the improvements are not real, but the dis-benefit from this bug cancels it all out

Like it's been stated, it's a beta version. Never, ever rely on a beta program to work correctly. It's for testing purposes. You'd really be in a twist if you were beta-testing the video editing app I'm testing. It's terrible, the developers do not pay much attention to the testers, and it will be released as the next upgrade, like it is. I've been testing for this company for over 10 yrs, and this will be their absolute worse one.

Affinity Photo 2.3..; Affinity Designer 2.3..; Affinity Publisher 2.3..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Yes it is a Beta version - you TRY it out for free, if you are not prepared to tolerant a problem in a Beta version then use 1.6. 

Beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs.[4] Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, speed or performance issues, and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it. Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Wiki. 

End

• Staff
6 hours ago, squeezer said:

Whilst all this is very interesting, it means that whenever we want to use Affinity Photo, we have to work around this bug, so when is it going to be fixed? it was not there before on Photo 1.6 so the fix should be pretty straightforward, time scales please?

Dave

Hi Dave,
This should be fixed in one of the next Betas (probably the next one). Please be aware that this is a Beta - we do not recommend using it for production work.

Ron,

I am not up on all this beta stuff, in my industry we used to prototype test, re- prototype & test as many times as we had need to, then launch onto customers, I guess that this is not safety critical stuff like I dealt with. Different industries, different approaches to product development, and I have been retired a long time now. I thought that a beta was an early release to existing customers to get used to, 'not be be used in production' as my license was for 1.6., not 1.7. Being retired, that is not an issue for me, I use the program for my photographic club comp entries and other hobby stuff not for any productive or monetary gain.

I thought I had to wipe off the 1.6 from my computer when I put the 1.7 on to it, which I did, so I have no access to that, and, as this was an update to the earlier 1.7, then that version which worked better is lost to me as well. Can I re-install 1.6? do I have to wipe off 1.7? 

1 minute ago, >|< said:

We've been told that a 1.7 beta should refuse to run if it cannot find a licensed retail version (for example, 1.6) of the software on your system, so it's strange that you are using a 1.7 beta after removing 1.6.

Anyway, yes you can re-install 1.6 and use it and the 1.7 betas.

On Windows it is quite possible that removing the program did not remove everything from the registry, which is where the beta installer would look.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

32 minutes ago, squeezer said:

I am not up on all this beta stuff, in my industry we used to prototype test, re- prototype & test as many times as we had need to, then launch onto customers, I guess that this is not safety critical stuff like I dealt with. Different industries, different approaches to product development, and I have been retired a long time now

We are seeing selected beta builds. We don't see all of them.

Some may have been tested internally by Serif and found to have enough bugs that they did not want to expose us to them. Or other problems, such as features that weren't complete enough to satisfy Serif.

But before the customer beta program, Serif had (i believe) other internal test phases, possibly invited private beta testing rather than open to any customer. Or possibly limited to Serif employees. And before they probably had alpha testing, involving a more limited set of Serif employees.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

I have been a member for just over twelve months after ditching P/S, now I am wondering if I did the right thing, firstly the Histogram in RAW development did not work now in RAW development when I progress to Photo Persona I get a faded image, I am not impressed how can a programme or a Beta edition be released with such basic problems I am afraid if Affinity was my company some heads would role and staff would be working back late until problems were fixed. Andy. 

4 hours ago, AndrewW said:

I have been a member for just over twelve months after ditching P/S, now I am wondering if I did the right thing, firstly the Histogram in RAW development did not work now in RAW development when I progress to Photo Persona I get a faded image, I am not impressed how can a programme or a Beta edition be released with such basic problems I am afraid if Affinity was my company some heads would role and staff would be working back late until problems were fixed. Andy. 

I am a bit more philosophical, we all know that sh1t happens, no one would willingly degrade something in front of customers, nor would a good management punish as you suggest, you want a team that will explore boundaries and take balanced risks.  In my experience at the sharp end,  it is how you react in communication to those affected and then in both speed and thoroughness of the fix. Affinity have acknowledged the issue, have said there will be a fix in the next beta. My mistake was in not realising the full implications or what a beta is and my frustration is around not knowing the time to fix.

To the chap who quoted wiki, you need to know you have a gap in knowledge to want to look something up, and wiki is not what I would call 100% authoritative of references.