squeezer

Photo Beta New Version .231 'Develop' does not work Properly

I have just updated to the new Beta version .231. I am on windows 7, I took in a Raw file Nikon .NEF spent some time in develop persona as I always do, having got my image as I wanted it I pressed 'Develop' to move to the main Photo persona, after the usual pause the picture came up as expected, but a second or so later it changed to be extremely pale, over exposed or High Key, almost unrecognisable. Certainly not usable. 

I re-booted, chose a different file, still a Nikon .NEF, did no work in develop, and took it straight into Photo person, the same thing happened, an unworkable image on the screen. I have been using Affinity Photo since day 1,. and I have been using the last beta version .209 very successfully, I updated today and, as a result,  I now have no photo editing software. I have taken a couple of screen prints to show the effect, and I have put them in a word document, attached to illustrate the issue

Please Help

Dave

Affinity Photo develop problem.docx

Edited by squeezer
to add word document with screen dumps to show problem

I have done some more experiments and what is more worrying is that the histograms are staying the same despite a major shift in file brightness. this error is too much to correct with a gamma adjustment see word file attached for an illustration

how do I get back to Beta .209?? or even to v 1.6?

Affinity Photo develop problem doc 2.docx

You don't need to roll back the beta.

Problem: the gamma-encoded 16 bpc image output from Develop should have been assigned a non-linear profile but it has a linear profile (sRGB Linear in your case).

Solution: use Document > Assign ICC Profile to assign the non-linear version of the profile (sRGB in your case).

Alternatively, set Develop Assistant to output a 32 bpc image, develop the raw file and then convert the document to 16 bpc or export a 16 bpc image from it.

Regardless of the solution provided, the software is not working as expected. I agree, it is a fault, (I used a Canon CR2). The solution does work in the interim.

I can confirm that I'm experiencing exactly the same issue with Nikon .NEF files when using the latest Beta.

Windows 10 Pro (1809) 64bit. AMD FX-6300 Six Core. 16GB.

2 minutes ago, Dave Quail said:

Regardless of the solution provided, the software is not working as expected. I agree, it is a fault, (I used a Canon CR2). The solution does work in the interim.

It has already been acknowledged as a bug by Serif and it probably will be fixed in the next beta.

42 minutes ago, >|< said:

You don't need to roll back the beta.

Problem: the gamma-encoded 16 bpc image output from Develop should have been assigned a non-linear profile but it has a linear profile (sRGB Linear in your case).

Solution: use Document > Assign ICC Profile to assign the non-linear version of the profile (sRGB in your case).

Alternatively, set Develop Assistant to output a 32 bpc image, develop the raw file and then convert the document to 16 bpc or export a 16 bpc image from it.

There is NO 'sRGB' option that I can see ony linear versions of one form or another.

is this another bug? 

I have tried the other work around. I set the Develop assistant to output 32 bits image, not much luck so I activated 'apply tone curve' in addition. I am still not convinced, but it is better.

10 minutes ago, squeezer said:

There is NO 'sRGB' option that I can see ony linear versions of one form or another.

is this another bug? 

I have tried the other work around. I set the Develop assistant to output 32 bits image, not much luck so I activated 'apply tone curve' in addition. I am still not convinced, but it is better.

The solution I provided works for other people, so I guess you have a different problem or you are not doing something that they are.

Same problem with Nikon and Olympus files , Assign ICC Profile to assign to my calibrated monitor profile and it corrects it, however I dont wish to have to fiddle with this each time. 

13 hours ago, >|< said:

The solution I provided works for other people, so I guess you have a different problem or you are not doing something that they are.

Can you spell out precisely the steps to find this 'non linear sRGB', because it does not seem to be an option in the menu that I think your are pointing me to?

which Persona, which menu, which sub heading please, or post a screen shot?

Hi squeezer,
Open a RAW file go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager..., make sure the RAW output format is set to RGB (16bit). If it's already set as such, develop the file and you should be able to assign the non linear profile going to menu Document ▸ Assign ICC Profile (the sRGB is usually on the bottom of the list). If the RAW output format was set to 32 bit, change to 16 bit, close the RAW file and re-open it again. Follow the steps I described in. the beginning of this post.

4 hours ago, squeezer said:

Thank MEB, I will try this out this evening

Dave

The bottom of the list that I have is: sRCB IEC61966 -2.1  is that what you want me to use. I tried the 32bit and that option was not there?

Can I make affinity remember these settings or do I have to do it on each and every picture?

On 2/7/2019 at 3:21 AM, Rusty Arrow said:

Same problem with Nikon and Olympus files , Assign ICC Profile to assign to my calibrated monitor profile and it corrects it, however I dont wish to have to fiddle with this each time. 

I am not sure if you should assign your calibrated monitor profile in there. Ideally you should assign the profile the camera assigns to the image. If you assign the calibrated profile again, then there is no use of calibrating. The calibrated profile is already used by your monitor and you monitor is showing colors correctly. 

On 2/7/2019 at 5:25 AM, MEB said:

Hi squeezer,
Open a RAW file go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager..., make sure the RAW output format is set to RGB (16bit). If it's already set as such, develop the file and you should be able to assign the non linear profile going to menu Document ▸ Assign ICC Profile (the sRGB is usually on the bottom of the list). If the RAW output format was set to 32 bit, change to 16 bit, close the RAW file and re-open it again. Follow the steps I described in. the beginning of this post.

So """Document ▸ Assign ICC Profile""" should be done by user every time they open a raw file right? (until this is fixed)

6 hours ago, Omprakash Selvaraj said:

I am not sure if you should assign your calibrated monitor profile in there. Ideally you should assign the profile the camera assigns to the image.

Assign the non-linear version of the linear profile that Affinity has wrongly assigned to the RGBA/16 document:

• If "sRGB (Linear)" then assign "sRGB"
  • If "Adobe RGB (Linear)" then assign "Adobe RGB"
  • if "ROMM RGB (Linear)" then assign "ROMM RGB"
  • etc

6 hours ago, Omprakash Selvaraj said:

So """Document ▸ Assign ICC Profile""" should be done by user every time they open a raw file right? (until this is fixed)

Yes when the image produced by Develop Persona is 16 bits per channel.

1 hour ago, >|< said:

Yes when the image produced by Develop Persona is 16 bits per channel.

Thank you. I just observed that, even if 32bit image is produced, the issue is there. User has to manually assign a profile in photo persona.

44 minutes ago, Omprakash Selvaraj said:

Thank you. I just observed that, even if 32bit image is produced, the issue is there. User has to manually assign a profile in photo persona.

A 32 bpc image should contain linear pixel values and have a linear profile.

I'm using the Mac beta and, therefore, I cannot see what is happening in the Windows beta unless screenshots are posted. When Develop Persona produces a 32 bpc image, does the image in Photo Persona not look the same as it did in Develop Persona?

Whilst all this is very interesting, it means that whenever we want to use Affinity Photo, we have to work around this bug, so when is it going to be fixed? it was not there before on Photo 1.6 so the fix should be pretty straightforward, time scales please?

Dave

I am not seeing too much benefit from this new beta, and one very big problem. I am not saying that the improvements are not real, but the dis-benefit from this bug cancels it all out

28 minutes ago, squeezer said:

I am not seeing too much benefit from this new beta, and one very big problem. I am not saying that the improvements are not real, but the dis-benefit from this bug cancels it all out

Why the song and dance about a bug in a beta? The workaround is trivial but slightly inconvenient. Don't use beta software if new bugs annoy you so much.

1 hour ago, >|< said:

Why the song and dance about a bug in a beta? The workaround is trivial but slightly inconvenient. Don't use beta software if new bugs annoy you so much. 

+1

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135 :  Affinity Photo-Beta  1.7.0.293 :     Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 : Affinity Designer-Beta 1.7.0.293:

Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.7.0.293:       Windows 10 Pro  (Version  1809 Build 17763.437)

4 hours ago, squeezer said:

Like it's been stated, it's a beta version. Never, ever rely on a beta program to work correctly. It's for testing purposes. You'd really be in a twist if you were beta-testing the video editing app I'm testing. It's terrible, the developers do not pay much attention to the testers, and it will be released as the next upgrade, like it is. I've been testing for this company for over 10 yrs, and this will be their absolute worse one.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123, Beta 1.7.0.243; Win10 Home Version:1803, Build: 17134.706: Intel i7-4770, 3.40GHz, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645