You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing svg to asset panel?

• Staff

Hi mvlad,
The assets panel only imports/exports our own format. Open the SVG using File ▸ Open, select the objects and drag them to the Assets panel (Mac only) or with the object selected, click the subcategory menu icon in the Assets panel and select Add from selection (Mac and Windows) to add them all to the Assets panel.

Just now, MEB said:

Hi mvlad,

The assets panel only imports/exports own own format. Open the SVG using File ▸ Open, select the objects and drag them to the Assets panel (Mac only) or click the subcategory menu icon on the right and select Add from selection.

image.png.50fd7fea3578e9a823d7163f8f05f24f.png

That might take a while. I'll see if i can drag them all into a new open document and then drag into the panel

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

• Staff

Other than recurring to a third party app to place all svg's in the same document and export it as a single svg file (or other adequate format) to then open in Designer to drag them to the Assets panel I'm not seeing a way to do it in Designer alone. I will pass this to the dev team - it's a little limited currently.

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Other then recurring to a third party app to place all svg's in the same document and export it as a single svg file to then import in Designer I'm not seeing a way to do it in Designer alone.

Oof that's not that great, why doesn't it accept svgs?

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

• Staff

Complex/layered files like SVG, PSD etc are currently placed in Affinity apps as embedded documents as they can contain multiple/different types of objects. They are only editable when opened individually in their own document tab. Unfortunately currently there's no way to convert the embedded documents into "native objects" which would help to solve your issue. I believe there's already an improvement request to allow converting embedded files  into native objects but if not I will fill one and list this issue/link to this thread as a use case for this to be considered for a future improvement (it's then up with the dev team to implement it or not).

• 1 year later...

Is there any word on this improvement. I am finding it quite time consuming to bring SVGs into designer. I have to open the file so I can change color etc. Then when I export I have to make sure various checks are in place - like fixed pixel widths, square container, expanded stroke.

• 7 months later...

I wanted an asset library from IAN symbols at https://ian.umces.edu/symbols/. This works, although it is tedious.

1. Create a new category. Rename it.

2. Open the Assets subcategory from your new category and drag all the svg files into the window. They will be imported. Most of the time. Sometimes I had to do this multiple times.

3. Rename your subcategory and then create a new subcategory, which will be called Assets. Repeat step 2.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dragging the SVG files into the asset subcategory worked perfectly. Thanks for this.

On 12/2/2020 at 4:45 AM, ellenloehman said:

I wanted an asset library from IAN symbols at https://ian.umces.edu/symbols/. This works, although it is tedious.

1. Create a new category. Rename it.

2. Open the Assets subcategory from your new category and drag all the svg files into the window. They will be imported. Most of the time. Sometimes I had to do this multiple times.

3. Rename your subcategory and then create a new subcategory, which will be called Assets. Repeat step 2.