You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, 

I tried to open a pdf in Affinity Photo as well as in Affinity Designer and firstly I couldn't select that I only wanted the first page and then I received the error message that there was an error with "parsing". I hope, I translated that correctly from German (Fehler beim Parsen). What is parsing? And - I really like the Affinity products much more than the Adobe products, but as long as Affinity doesn't do some things I need properly I'm stuck with the Adobe stuff as well, just for those things. :( 

Might be a good idea to take a screenshot of the error message. Do all PDF's cause this parsing error?

Are these PDF's downloaded or created by you? If downloaded, try downloading again.

Can you upload a PDF that gives the parsing error so we can take a look our end?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Christian Kogler said:

What is parsing?

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/p/parse.htm

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I've downloaded that file and I get the same Parsing error so I'm going to assume there is something amiss with the file, I can however open the PDF up in Preview (I'm a Mac user by the way)

I also tried in the Beta versions and the same parsing error occurs.

I still have a photoshop version from work which I usually don't use, but it worked perfectly with that file. It opened page 1 of the pdf as I wanted and I could expert the cover as a picture. Why does it work in Photoshop and not in the Affinity products? It can't be a general error in the pdf then, that's why it also open in Preview probably. 

Out of curiosity I opened the PDF in Preview and exported back to PDF and then opened it in Affinity and it opened with some missing fonts and substituted fonts to Lucinda Grande.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-06-at-08-58-50.png

InclusionAustriaGesamt - exported from Preview.pdf

I'm just an enthusiastic user not in the employment of Affinity. You can ask a mod to look into it, like @Callum or @MEB 

Definite problem with that file in trying to open in Publisher/Designer. The file opened up fine in Acrobat Pro. From there you can print to the PDF driver & make a new PDF which does open in Publisher. Missing fonts but looks okay apart from that.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

• Staff

Hi Christian Kogler :)

33 minutes ago, Christian Kogler said:

Affinity, maybe you can look into why it happens at all in the first place. Just to avoid future trouble.

I've logged this file with our developers to be investigated, I'll report back with any information found!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)