You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multiple HDR Processing Issues

Hi everyone,

I have an issue when I am processing HDR brackets. In particular, if I have multiple brackets I need to close and open again Affinity after each merging/tone mapping process. Indeed, after the first merge the time increase exponentially. For the first first with 9 NEF file from a D7200 it can take something between 3 to 4 minutes to process the image. Without closing Affinity, restarting a new HDR merge process for the second time it goes to 6-7 minutes and then it stabilize to 11-12 minutes. Temporary solution is simply to close and open Affinity every time that I need to do an HDR merge, but it would be nice to solve this problem. 

Hi Gabriele,

Welcome to the forum!:)

It all depends on what hardware you use (processor/memory)  and 9 images for bracketing is  too much. Normal bracketing takes 3 images and 5 at the max, but usually 3 images will do the job. The more images you add, the more time it takes to process.

If you want I can take a look at the images.

Regards,

David

6 hours ago, gabrielecoppi said:

Indeed, after the first merge the time increase exponentially

I did a load of HDR merges a couple of days ago and didn't see anything like that. Were you closing each image before starting the next one?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

@All Media Lab I am on a windows 10 Laptop with i7-7700, gtx1060 and 16 GB of Ram. The photos are on the C drive which is an SSD so I should have plenty of  read/write speed. I know that 9 are a lot, but I was playing with the camera setting shooting with the sun at 10-15 degree from the lens in Antarctica, so there was plenty of additional light coming from the ice. I was trying to capture as much details as possible all the shades of blue on the ice with the sun reflection. The dynamic range of the scene was pretty high since some of the area where completely in the shadow (some of the ice was 20 feet tall)

@IanSG yes I saved the file in the JPEG format to share it and close the image. The RAM consumption shows this.