You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Listen to the users... please

I read a lot and I think the new 1.7 is not going anywhere close to what many users express here.

Just a list of things people want:

1. Convert Black/White to mask. In PS its easy, take any black white image and use it as mask. Thats what an alpha channel looks like anyway. Not so in AFP. This should be a one click action.

2. Merge Layers. In AFP you need to convert layers first to pixel than merge.. that is annoying. We need an option to make that work in one step.

3. Transform areas of the image. It cost so much time that, each time you want to transform a selection you need to copy it first to another layer, then fiddle around with transparency and get the transform to the area it should work. Please make things easier.

4. Brush Scale. Brackets, may be the keys for US users, but people have different keyboards in other countries. Each time I need to change that to , . for 20 tools. Thats annoying. Also we need a better workflow to adjust the brush size on Windows. This simple is essential!

5. Remember filter settings. Each time I use a filter again, I have to input the values against.. balls... thats so super annoying. You ain't know how many times I do that per day. And where are the actions still missing to build own actions?

6. File close.. each time I close an image, AFP ask me to save it.. no mater what I do it will be still open and I need to close it again. 

These are the most annoying things that need care. I could write a longer list, but I done it quite some times here... so please give us things we really need, not another app for iOS, Android.. and other fancy unprofessional stuff. ;-)

Hear, Hear !

Let's not forget the Guides issues, either.
See my numerous inputs in Features Request, Questions etc. forum sections

It is getting really annoying and looks as if Serif is going to follow in the footsteps of it's competitors.

And that's a real pity, especially since they started out so very promising towards the users.

• Staff
28 minutes ago, Maestrorobertus said:

I read a lot and I think the new 1.7 is not going anywhere close to what many users express here.

Just a list of things people want:

1. Convert Black/White to mask. In PS its easy, take any black white image and use it as mask. Thats what an alpha channel looks like anyway. Not so in AFP. This should be a one click action. - Doesn't Layer > Rasterize to Mask do this?

2. Merge Layers. In AFP you need to convert layers first to pixel than merge.. that is annoying. We need an option to make that work in one step. - Isn't this what 'Layer > Merge Visible' does? Adjustments, filters and pixel layers all merge into a single Pixel layer.

3. Transform areas of the image. It cost so much time that, each time you want to transform a selection you need to copy it first to another layer, then fiddle around with transparency and get the transform to the area it should work. Please make things easier. - How? What do other apps do that so that we can improve this? Give me evidence to support the argument so we can submit it to the developers.

4. Brush Scale. Brackets, may be the keys for US users, but people have different keyboards in other countries. Each time I need to change that to , . for 20 tools. Thats annoying. Also we need a better workflow to adjust the brush size on Windows. This simple is essential! - Yes, this has been discussed a lot. 

5. Remember filter settings. Each time I use a filter again, I have to input the values against.. balls... thats so super annoying. You ain't know how many times I do that per day. And where are the actions still missing to build own actions? - What about the users who don't want it to remember previous settings? You can always use a Macro if you want to apply the same filter with its settings to an image.

6. File close.. each time I close an image, AFP ask me to save it.. no mater what I do it will be still open and I need to close it again. - This seems to be true for macOS but not Windows. I will log this for you—thank you.

These are the most annoying things that need care. I could write a longer list, but I done it quite some times here... so please give us things we really need, not another app for iOS, Android.. and other fancy unprofessional stuff. ;-)

• Staff
1 hour ago, Maestrorobertus said:

4. Brush Scale. Brackets, may be the keys for US users, but people have different keyboards in other countries. Each time I need to change that to , . for 20 tools. Thats annoying. Also we need a better workflow to adjust the brush size on Windows. This simple is essential!

You can change the shortcut to whatever you want in the Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section. Changing it in one of the brush tools will change it to all brush based tools, no need to do that manually for all tools.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

What about the users who don't want it to remember previous settings? You can always use a Macro if you want to apply the same filter with its settings to an image.

I propose that the best way to handle this is to add a "Set Defaults" button to the filter/adjustment windows.  Clicking that takes the current settings of the filter or adjustment and uses those as the default settings when future instances of it are created.

Chris B, here is an example I believe is what is being referred to in:

'3. Transform areas of the image' 

https://phlearn.com/tutorial/how-to-stretch-images-using-content-aware-scale/

In PS the Content Aware Tool is used to freeze part of the photo so that only the area that you want to transform does so.  I may be incorrectly understanding what Maestrotobertus is asking for but this ability has always been on my list of wants.  

In AP I now use the square selection tool and then transform but it has some real problems as it does not scale well with respect to area inside the selection and always leaves a gap. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, Chris B said:

1. Convert Black/White to mask. In PS its easy, take any black white image and use it as mask. Thats what an alpha channel looks like anyway. Not so in AFP. This should be a one click action. - Doesn't Layer > Rasterize to Mask do this?

Yes it does. It's also quite annoying to go into a destructive step just to mask a layer. Dragging a layer into the layer mask slot and use the luminance information to mask it would be much better.

I think they need more developers. The staff are quite attentive and don't seem to be hiding underneath a rock? Obviously they can't air certain things on the public side, for all we know they share similar concerns. I wish some things had been completed as well, as I'm eager to move completely away from Adobe. I will keep contributing to bug reports as long as they stay active/vocal about updates, progress, etc... I do develop as well as graphics so I know the pitfalls. There's probably a reasonable explanation for most things.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, Chris B said:

I just tried that option and it does not what I expect.
I would have expected that the layer stays as it is and gets a mask layer added that consists of a BW version of the main layers original content.
What happens here when I click Rasterize to Mask is that my layer gets converted into something called mask.
Maybe what I am looking for would be "Add Mask from BW Information" and it should also be in the RMB menu of the layers stack.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.