You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placing images

I am sure this has been discovered already, but with the new beta I can not select images anymore using "place.." from the menu. I used this to load jpg and the like, but will only select txt and rtf files.

I now drag images from explorer into the page, but prefer the old way (also working).

This is from one of the release notes...

"Text > Insert Text from File has been removed and File > Place should be used instead. The types of files available via File > Place depends on context, for example if a Text Frame is selected then text files will be made available."

Not sure I like the new behaviour, it's sure to catch a lot of people out.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I dont like it. Prefer a seperate menu option.

I'm adding text frames and images all the time, now I have to remember to deselect a textframe first? Theres all the space of the world in the menu, so I dont understand why it was changed to this....

23 hours ago, JeroenK said:

I dont like it. Prefer a seperate menu option.
I'm adding text frames and images all the time, now I have to remember to deselect a textframe first? Theres all the space of the world in the menu, so I dont understand why it was changed to this....

When placing content, you should always know if something is selected and what is selected. Otherwise, there is always a risk that you will unintentionally replace content that has already been placed. If you find this too difficult, you may not want to use publication software :35_thinking:

The current behavior with only one menu item ("place") is the usual behavior. It is more efficient than it was before.

I have not yet decided if I like the new behavior, with Place being able to place either text or images, depending on what is (or is not) selected.

However, there is still one confusing point, in my opinion. Text > Insert > Text from file was removed from the Menus (and you must now use File > Place...  but Insert Text from File still exists as an option when you right-click on a Text Frame. If that's going to remain as a right-click option it seems inconsistent not to have it in the Text menu, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 hours ago, Michail said:

If you find this too difficult, you may not want to use publication software :35_thinking:

Uhm....

I have been into digital publishing and editting since the 90's. 2D & 3D animation for national television and video production for multinationals. I do all my PHP programming myself. I have a little experience, ok ... ?

I just thought that the first method was much more natural, and stated as such.

20 hours ago, Michail said:

The current behavior with only one menu item ("place") is the usual behavior. It is more efficient than it was before.

I do not have a problem with the one menu item ("place"), it is the fact that it is now "context aware" which makes me have to stop and check where my cursor is or have to cancel my File > Place, move my cursor's focus and redo the File > Place just to see my image files.

And what happens when we get inline graphics in text, will we get another command to insert a graphic at the cursor's current position in the text or will File > Place have to be changed again to be able to select the graphic file we want?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

9 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Place with a picture frame selected is for all possible content.

Only content displayable as an image will be possible

"text" files etc will not be in included in the list of files presented to you via File > Place

If it is going to be context aware, how about reflecting the current state in the menu? For example by placing it as (image) or (text) behind the menu-name.

That still does not prevent accidentally clicking the menu with the wrong context of course.

My main thing is, I have images in multiple (network) locations. When I now click the Place.. option, browse to a certain location and only then find out I am in the wrong context...

Still I would prefer multiple menu entries for it though :) But hope I made it more clear this way.

33 minutes ago, haakoo said:

I never use the place function,
I use XNviewMP as my designated content viewer and just drag/drop into textframe or pictureframe

That's fine, but what if you aren't placing an image into a frame? With the Place Tool you can scale the image as you place it on the page, rather than ending up with a layer that may be much larger than your image and needing to find the corner nodes to scale the image.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, JeroenK said:

I have been into digital publishing and editting since the 90's. 2D & 3D animation for national television and video production for multinationals. I do all my PHP programming myself. I have a little experience, ok ... ?

Your contribution made me suspect that you are not so well versed in publishing, which isn't so bad. I didn't want to offend you 9_9

3 hours ago, JeroenK said:

I just thought that the first method was much more natural, and stated as such.

No. The previous method was more cumbersome!

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

I do not have a problem with the one menu item ("place"), it is the fact that it is now "context aware" which makes me have to stop and check where my cursor is or have to cancel my File > Place, move my cursor's focus and redo the File > Place just to see my image files.

As I said earlier, you have to pay attention to where the cursor is at the time of placement anyway. It might also be a question of habit.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

And what happens when we get inline graphics in text, will we get another command to insert a graphic at the cursor's current position in the text or will File > Place have to be changed again to be able to select the graphic file we want?

That's a good point. In my opinion, there must be a difference between a text frame marked with the Move tool and a text cursor in a text frame. Then it would be clear if you want to exchange the whole content (move tool) or if you want to insert something at the cursor position (e.g. inline graphics).

It must be possible to automatically replace a marked text frame with an image (with image frame) when placing it. At the moment this does not even work with text (See link below).

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

We believe this has been addressed in the latest (#371) beta build. Please retest this behaviour.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.