You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: show EXIF Data of Embedded Images

It should be possible to show the EXIF data of images - there would be two places where this would fit:

• additional Studio tab - e.g. named Information (could Display of non-image resources as well, e.g. number of words/paragraphs/... of a text field, ...)
  • in the Resource Manager

My use case would be to look up the GPS and other location information of the embedded image.

Thanks, Christian

3 hours ago, Christian Luidolt said:

@haakoo @wigglepixel Thank you for showing me tips how to view EXIF data in an external program. But my problem is to view EXIF data comfortable without searching for the original (if available at all, because if a image is embedded I've found no way simple to copy/export the image).

That makes sense

3 hours ago, Christian Luidolt said:

But: All I want is an easy way to show the EXIF data of images placed inside an Affinity Publisher document (regardless if - or where - I have a copy on my hard disk)

Hello @Christian Luidolt,

it is not the fastest way but what you can do is to open the page with the image on it in Affinity Photo by clicking on 'File > Edit in Photo...'. There you find in 'View > Studio > Exif' everything in place. This of course requires that you own Affinity Photo.

This is a (temporary?) workaround. Currently it is not possible to switch back from APh to APub. I assume this will be added later.
I do not know if the 'Exif Studio' will be part of APub at some time, though.

At least this way you don't have to look for a copy if the image on your harddisk :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

3 minutes ago, Christian Luidolt said:

@dominik Thanks, but File->Edit in Photo opens a whole page in Affinity Photo - and the EXIF tab in Affinity Phtos does not show the EXIF data of the embedded image but the whole page :(

@Christian Luidolt,

yes, this is correct, it opens the whole page not just the image.

But you have to click on and select the image and you should be able to read out the Exif data. At least this works for me on Windows. Fortunately I read from your reply that you own APh to try this out :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

42 minutes ago, Christian Luidolt said:

selecting the image in Affity Photo does not show the EXIF data of the image

@Christian Luidolt,

this does surprise me. I think it worked for me. I'll have to do some more tries with different images.

d.

@fde101 @dominik I'm sure that I've selected the image itself (tried it multiple times, different documents, loaded the image itself into Affinity Photo and confirmed that EXIF-data is shown) - Thanks for your help :) - but this would only be a rather uncomfortable work around, so it's no issue for me that this does not work as.

I think the guess here is that when the Photo persona is made available in Publisher the EXIF studio panel might get dragged in along with it, so if you have both, you would simply need to switch to the Photo persona to view the data from right inside of Publisher without needing to switch to the other program...