Matthew hawke

Photo crashes when dragging photo images

Hi everyone,

‘’I am using an IPad Pro 2018 12.9. I have the latest version of iOS and photo. I have created a project in photo and opened the photos app on top of it. I then select all images from an album and drag them to the project on photo. They are all raw files from an xt1 and I select 66 files. I have tried multiple times and the most it has copied is about 30 before photo crashes. I have restarted the iPad and don’t have any other apps open and none running in the background but still the same issue. Any ideas.

thanks

matthew

Hi @Matthew hawke ,

You're most likely running into a no-resource crash more than anything. Just bear in mind that you're working on a mobile device, opening 66 raw files at once. Have you tried opening them in 2 batches of 30, or even 6 batches of 11?

I would say this is expected behaviour from a mobile device. You physically don't have the resources to open so many files in one go. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thanks Gabe, tried it with 18 images at a time and works, but that’s the limit. Thanks for your help.

Another question if you don’t mind. I have a project on the iPad that I copied the files into. I have set affinity to use iCloud as the place to save files. Where are the images I have sitting in the Affinity app that I have yet to work on? Am I able to access them via affinity photo on my Mac? I can’t see a project folder or the images in iCloud.Do I need to have opened each image individually and save as a affinity file first, that would be a pain?

thanks

matthew

Hi Mathew, we need to take a little more care with iOS so we don't lose work. In iOS the files you have copied over are now located in the apps sandbox. You can only access them from the Affinities Project screen. As I understand it, when you make edits, Affinity will auto 'save' (interval based on seconds set in Settings)and when you tap the top left corner to return to the Project screen, the edits are stored in the original sandboxed file. At this stage all edits (including autosave) are in sandbox memory only and not accessible outside of the app. It’s an iOS 'security' feature that fences off app data access from other apps. If you have a glitch in the app that effects a file, or for some reason you choose to delete and reinstall the app, all your files and edits are deleted as well. Gone forever.

Saving the Files works a little differently too. Remember (your files in Project area) are not actually 'saved' yet. You have a couple of options for saving your file and any edits. 

Option 1. In Project screen, tap the hamburger menu for your file and tap Save. Now Affinity 'Saves' a copy of your file into the 'default' storage location (as determined in Settings). This will be an Affinity folder either in the iCloud or on your iPad. You can access these directories using the Files app and you will see the .afdesign or .afphoto files there. You can copy/move these files to any location to create a backup file. If you delete the app, the apps folder and any files in it will also be deleted.

Option 2. With your file Open, use the Document menu to Save a Copy. This opens the files app and allows you to 'navigate' to a storage folder of your choice. Again you can copy/move from this location to create backups for security. Having Saved a Copy, when you open that copy, you will now have a new menu item in Documents, called Save ( saves changes rather than creating a new copy).

Workflows.... I prefer to Save a Copy, then work with the copy using the Open from Cloud option which allows me to access ALL storage locations on my iPad or Cloud storage’s. After editing, I tap Documents Save and the edits are saved back to my open file (not just the sandbox).

Hope this was not too confusing and helps avoid lost work. :)

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB lpadOS 13.1.1  Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 Affinity Design 1.7.3.1 Publisher for iPad ?

Hi Gabe,

thanks to your excellent description of what happens in the background I am now able to manage my files. I dropped adobe lightroom and  photoshop about 2 weeks ago send with my history in IT I like to know what is happening in the background. Your narrative was extremely useful and much appreciated. I am excited about the possibilities with affinity.

fyi - I am in Queenstown New Zealand, enjoying a long hot summer and getting to know the photos app all over again with affinity and my new IPad Pro. Doesn’t get any better than this :)

matthew