You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to set crop to (eg) 500 x 668 px

I do repetitive tasks where I have scans that need to be resized and cropped to a specific dimension.

In my previous program (you know the one) I would set the px to 500 x 668 in the crop size boxes and so when I cropped it was already the correct size for me. So I guess it was resizing and cropping at the same time. 

I can't see how to do this on Affinity. 

I am so used to doing things this way I cannot even work out how to do it a long way round. If I crop first I crop it to the wrong aspect ratio and then when I resize to my specific dimensions I am distorting the image. 

Help me please! 

I am very new to this program, I would like to be able to use it but this is my first brick wall that could potentially destroy my resolution to free myself from 20 years of dependence to a company who don't give a flick about me! 

Hello Gabe, 

Thank you for your response, unfortunately that doesn't work how I need it to work (unless I am doing something wrong)

I set the preset as suggested but that creates a little tiny crop window (cropping out most of my image). When I drag the corners of the crop window to make it bigger it is not constraining it to 500 x 668px, the crop size is getting bigger (and easily dragged out of proportion). 

In my previous app I could crop any part of the picture (all, or a tiny part) to a constrained 500 x 668px 

How do I do that here? 

So far I am finding I have to first crop the image to roughly the composition I need, then I have to resize the image so that one of the axis is 500px or 668px, then, I re-crop, constraining to the 500 x 668 px. This is unbearably inefficient! 

If I cut out the first crop I have no idea what I should be resizing to. 

I have attached 2 images, the first showing the crop as it wants to do it at the constrained 500px x 668px, the second is the actual composition I want to crop to, but in the process of dragging out the crop handles I have dragged it out of proportion. 

thanks,

Bess

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 18.20.29.png

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 18.21.01.png

Hello Madame,

thank you for your comment, by the place command do you mean I go to the new document, then file>place>[choose saved file] ?

If that is the case (and it works only how i think it works) that is even more long winded and unworkable. I would need to know the title of my file (which I don't because I am dealing with hundreds of images). 

thanks! 

Bess

You could create your crop preset using the custom ratio (not dimensions) 500 x 668. That will give you a crop frame restricted to that ratio. You can then resize it by dragging a corner handle to cover as much of your image as you can, and then click in the middle and drag the frame to compose the image you want to crop, and then click Apply.

After that you can resize the document so it's 500px x 668px, and Export it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

1 hour ago, Bessworks said:

Hello Madame,

thank you for your comment, by the place command do you mean I go to the new document, then file>place>[choose saved file] ?

If that is the case (and it works only how i think it works) that is even more long winded and unworkable. I would need to know the title of my file (which I don't because I am dealing with hundreds of images). 

thanks! 

Bess

It will be the same as if you use the command file>open. 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You could create your crop preset using the custom ratio (not dimensions) 500 x 668. That will give you a crop frame restricted to that ratio. You can then resize it by dragging a corner handle to cover as much of your image as you can, and then click in the middle and drag the frame to compose the image you want to crop, and then click Apply.

After that you can resize the document so it's 500px x 668px, and Export it.

Thank you Walt.Farrell, that works pretty well :)

But. 

For each new photo the default crop goes back to the unconstrained model. Which means unnecessary extra clicking. Ugh. 

I'm getting a terrible RSI here. 

Can anyone help me automate this? 

3 hours ago, Bessworks said:

To clarify, I would like my default crop tool to use my constrained ratio preset. 

Is that possible? 

Yes, and no. The Crop Tool will not remember the setting you want to use from one invocation to the next.

However, you can create a Preset for the ratio you want, which makes it easier to reuse your setting by clicking on the list of presets and choosing the one you created.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4