You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are there instructions for using the forum search bar anywhere?

I've had a look on the Invision website and can only find this: https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/how-to-use-ips-community-suite/content-discovery/searching-your-community-r70/ which isn't much use.

It would be nice to have some instructions on how to search for, for example:
* All posts where the body contains both the words "first" and "second" but not "third";
* All posts where the body contains "first" but not either "second" or "third";
* All posts that have "first second" - in that order, next to each other - and also "third" anywhere else in the post;
* All posts that have "first second" - in that order, next to each other - but not where "third" is anywhere else in the post
* All posts that have "first" in the title but not "second" in the body;
* All posts that have "first" in the title and "second" or "third" in the body;
etc. etc. etc.
(The example words are just 'place-holders' and not actual search terms.)

Obviously there are many different ways people want to search but if we had some instructions on what sort of thing we can do then it might make it easier for us to find things (and perhaps not report duplicate problems/issues).

Yes, having some instructions would be nice. It is possible to experiment and figure out some things, though.

First, it can be helpful to browse the forum you want to search, and then choose the search option "This Forum".

Next, if you want posts that contain "first" or "second" you can just search for: first second (or, you can put OR between them, but why bother :) )

But if you want the phrase "first second" then you enter it that way, in quotes.

If you want "first" somewhere in a post, and "second" somewhere in the post, but not necessarily as a phrase you use: first AND second.

So, if you want the phrase "first second" and also "third" somewhere it would be "first second" AND third.

I'm not sure how to deal with NOT (nor am I convinced that you can, as it seems to take "NOT" as a standard word to search for).

Nor how to deal with searching for a combination of information from a post and information specifically from a topic title. (And I'm not certain that combination is possible.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks v_kyr, I'll have to read that properly and do some experimentation when I get a chance.
I don't know how often Google trawls the forum so it might not pick up recent stuff, such as the posts that come in when a new beta is released, but your instructions definitely add to what I already knew.

Instead of trying to do anything clever, I just perform a simple initial search and then use the links provided on the results page:

7FCDACFA-34CB-4F5E-892D-58016BA38817.thumb.jpeg.5741f30a503f168033fcc4d2cbdfdb45.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I don't think I'm using the search correctly, or it's not working.
In the text below, "<" and ">" are used to show the extent of the text used and are not actually entered.
When I type <zoom 100%> into the search bar I get 9,711 results.
If I click on the <zoom AND 100%> suggestion below the search bar, I only get 797 results - which seems right - but the search bar still says <zoom 100%>.
However, when I manually enter <zoom AND 100%> into the search bar I get 193, 899 results, probably because it is including the word "AND" in the search.
This doesn't sound right to me. Can I not use "AND" or "OR" manually without relying on the suggested links?

On 2/6/2019 at 7:41 AM, GarryP said:

I don't think I'm using the search correctly, or it's not working.
In the text below, "<" and ">" are used to show the extent of the text used and are not actually entered.
When I type <zoom 100%> into the search bar I get 9,711 results.
If I click on the <zoom AND 100%> suggestion below the search bar, I only get 797 results - which seems right - but the search bar still says <zoom 100%>.
However, when I manually enter <zoom AND 100%> into the search bar I get 193, 899 results, probably because it is including the word "AND" in the search.
This doesn't sound right to me. Can I not use "AND" or "OR" manually without relying on the suggested links?

Interesting. You seem to be right. We cannot directly use AND as a search term. We must use, e.g., <zoom 100%> and then restrict the results by letting the forum search suggest that we try zoom AND 100%.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

To search for...

dog AND walk

enter

+dog +walk

in the forum search box

(Ignore the suggested links it gives you after the search, they will now be irrelevant/wrong)

Now if there was only a way to search for...

dog NOT walk

:ph34r:

The first person to figure it out gets a free copy of the next Affinity Publisher Beta software

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I just tried searching for:
* <zoom> and got 4578 results;
* and then <zoom +100%> and got 5973 results;
* and then <zoom -100%> and got 3776 results.
Could "-" mean "NOT", perhaps?
When searching with <zoom -100%> I didn't notice any "100%" mentions in the first two pages of results.
Not a thorough check but it seems to have some meaning.
Do I get a free copy of Publisher beta? The one I already have is lonely and maybe I can make a breeding pair.