You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Ghost" outline showing through mask

maybe I'm doing this wrong, but I have a mask in place to remove part of a curve, but there is a kind of outline showing. 

My understanding is that the white rectangle, as a child of the black shape, should be masking it completely, yet there are faint outlines of the black shape.

1750397833_Screenshot2019-02-04at12_43_19.thumb.png.193880f0ed8d659bd9f35fbb1bb92c86.png

Can anyone help please? Thanks

2 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

You still have all the thin lines in the PDF.

Yes, the PDF was uploaded before the edit. I solved the issue since that PDF

2 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

BTW: In your original image your objects aren't in the mask position they are in the child clipping position.

Please explain, I used that method as I didn't know any other way to remove part of the curve. Can you please explain the mask position ? Thanks. Will it do the same thing?

22 hours ago, Mr Lucky said:

I have enabled precise clipping (in both AD and AP) but the lines are still showing on one file.

If the file is like the one shown in your first post, that may be because the black parent layer has a stroke. Since the white rectangle is its clipped child, the stroke won't be hidden. Remove the stroke & the lines should disappear:
2067226584_Ghostoutlinecompare.jpg.8fb4c4f1e5cbb6851f998e300668a6f7.jpg
Ghost outline.afdesign

On 2/4/2019 at 7:01 AM, GabrielM said:

That checkbox is only a preview option, as, during the export, it will always precise clip. 

That's what I thought, but exporting the above Ghost outline file using (for example) the PDF (for web) preset, I get Ghost outline clipped precise.pdf, which has a 'ghost' outline, apparently because of a mask layer that was added during export:
862910111_Ghostpdf.jpg.7f79d8d77495da495d2012252e6af3be.jpg 563463823_layerpanel.jpg.9e097c638d3c7eb5448a4d567e5bd541.jpg

Hiding or deleting that Curve mask layer removes the ghost outline. Why?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, >|< said:

Anti-aliased edges of the black shape are partially revealed by anti-aliasing of coincident edges of the overlying white shape that results from the masking of the white rectangle.

Because you then have the entire white rectangle visible and completely covering the aforementioned anti-aliased edges of the black shape.

It probably was not clear but my "why" question is why does the Affinity pdf export add the mask? From what I can tell, the PDF (for web) preset does not preserve transparency no matter how I combine the two shapes, so it seems kind of pointless to add the mask. O.o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7