You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mouse sensitivity

I have problems with mouse sensitivity all the time:

I want only select an element but I usually move (transform) this element uninentionally by some tiny distance as well. I must check the history every time and often go back and select the element again very very carefully.

Is it possible to add the setttings of mouse sensitivity (probably in a form of a treshold) for moving elements?

I don't remember when this beahviour occured at first (but I think with 1.7) but I remember that I didn't have this problem ~6 months ago and earlier.

I use latest Windows with latest mouse drivers. I tried more mouses and the behaviour is the same. My settings of mouse sensitivity in Windows is pretty low, so definitely it is not a problem of over-sensitive settings in Windows.

Hi Sean,

OK, I will try when I have time at work. Do you know about some good free screen recorder that visualises mouse click?

I realize that the the problem happens the most during doubleclick when I want to get into the group. But it can be because I heavily use groups. The unintended moves are ~0.1-0.5 mm.

I also think that is not caused by my hands - my hand are still not shaking :)

Hello,

I tried to record the screen. I simply clicked on a rectangle (no group). When you look on history panel, you can see two steps with one click (and NO mouse movement): Set current selection and transfer. When the rectangle is selected, only transfer occurs (but without a reason).

During this demo record, no actual transformation was made. The rectangle stayed on its place. BUT, when I work faster on a bigger project, elements are moved during non intended transfer command.

So what my workflow looks like? I always watch History panel and go a step back again and again.

• Staff

Hi Mayan,

Thanks for the video. I've just tried this myself and I'm not getting any additional transform History entries that you are. Could you try upping the decimal places for Unit Types to 6 (found in Preferences > User Interface) and then see if the values in the Transform panel change when you're clicking like you are in the video? 

Also what mouse and drivers are you using? Do you have any trackpads (if using a laptop) or drawing tablets plugged in at the same time, if so what model and drivers? Do you have any other basic wired mice you could try? I use a simple Microsoft USB optical mouse with wheel.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I tried with 6 decimal places and no actual transform. (I think that I had problems with actual transorms months ago, but I cannot replicate it now).

I targeted on this issue and found this:

• Computer (lets name it) ONE: issue is not present. It is a very old computer, but with newest Windows 10 64b and newest AD beta. Old cheap mouse.
  • Computer TWO: This is the PC where the issue occurs. It has Microsoft Wireless Mouse 2000 with Win10 standard drivers. This PC has Windows 10 Enterprise 64b v 1803 and is completely offline (never online). The issue was the same with previous Windows build and with mouse changed to a simple cheap Genius wire mouse.
  • A week ago, I completely changed from PC TWO to a new clean PC THREE. Newer hardware, but the same OS and offline also. The same mouses again. Completely new AD installation - unfortunately the issue IS also here.

• Staff

Thanks for that information - are you saying that you switched the mouse on Computer TWO to the Genius Wired Mouse and the issue was still occuring?

I've installed these drivers from Microsoft, but it does report that it can't find the mouse (obviously because I don't have the mouse to use), but I was still unable to reproduce it. Have you tried installing these drivers or are you relying on those that came with Windows? What options are available to you in the 'Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Centre' panel?

What I did find is that I was getting similar behaviour on 1.6 when doing a long press on an object, however this has now been corrected and I can no longer do this in 1.7.

Yes, Sean, I switched on Computer TWO to Genius Wired Mouse and the issue is still occuring. Before I switched, I tried the both drivers for Microsoft Wireless Mouse - defalut drivers that came with Windows and MS dedicated drivers (exactly as from your link).

To be honest, I cannot analyze in my mind what configuration can cause the issue (and I am good in analyzing, it is half of my job). Evidently, mouse drivers and whole new PC dont influence it.

Last weeks, the issue occurs only on PCs (TWO and THREE) that has Win 10 Enterprise and are totally offline, but I cannot imagine how this could cause the issue.

(Today, I experienced also real transfer of element on simple mouse click. I have set 1 decimal place for px, work in px and the position was rounded from say 123,6 to 124 px on both axes.)

On 2/5/2019 at 9:04 AM, Sean P said:

We've not had any other reports regarding this.

Yes, it may happen a couple of times in a multiple-hour work session, when we frequently toggle pixel alignment and snapping and change zoom levels.

I remember this issue was addressed some years ago and it got better, but was never solved completely.

12 hours ago, rubs said:

Yes, it may happen a couple of times in a multiple-hour work session, when we frequently toggle pixel alignment and snapping and change zoom levels.

I remember this issue was addressed some years ago and it got better, but was never solved completely.

Agree with the views of rubs. For illustration workers, slight movements are difficult to observe and do not cause major problems. However, for UI designers, a small amount of error can have catastrophic consequences, such as incorrect size of the slices, alignment problems, and so on.

As a UI designer who uses Affinity Designer heavily, I have been forced to develop the habit of constantly alerting the size and position of objects, and I am very careful about every mouse click, because the mouse is too sensitive.

The problem of slight movements was raised a few years ago, and it did improve in later versions, but as rubs said, it has not been fully resolved. Long-running Affinity Designer will slow down, and the probability of a light-shift problem will increase dramatically.

8 hours ago, seabirdr said:

Agree with the views of rubs. For illustration workers, slight movements are difficult to observe and do not cause major problems. However, for UI designers, a small amount of error can have catastrophic consequences, such as incorrect size of the slices, alignment problems, and so on.

As a UI designer who uses Affinity Designer heavily, I have been forced to develop the habit of constantly alerting the size and position of objects, and I am very careful about every mouse click, because the mouse is too sensitive.

The problem of slight movements was raised a few years ago, and it did improve in later versions, but as rubs said, it has not been fully resolved. Long-running Affinity Designer will slow down, and the probability of a light-shift problem will increase dramatically.

The project I am working on now, is UI design and the mouse click problem is a nightmare. I experience many real move transforms of an element caused by single click on it. The movement seems to be in the direction center-of-element > cursor and sometimes it is a few pixels.  It can be also replicated (undo and carefull click again - the movement is the same).

I have to mention that I have pixel alignment constantly off.

It is sligthly another story, but AD seems horribly inaccurate. E.g. say I have some text aligned to left and its left X position is 100 px. When I rewrite the text, the X position changes e.g. to 101,4 px or 98,5 px. Maybe it is caused by some font properties, but how can I design UI accurately? How can I find the intended position (100 px) when I return to the project after a month when I do frontend coding? Together with unintended transfers on mouse click, I cannot recommend AD for accurate design anymore. Or I simply dont know how to use AD well.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.