You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to sync edits on multiple RAW files

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

This is false info. There's no batch processing for RAW files in Affinity Photo (no Macro support in the Develop Persona). Using presets would mean having to open files manually, one by one - which is (by far) the most time-consuming part.

7 minutes ago, hifred said:

This is false info. There's no batch processing for RAW files in Affinity Photo (no Macro support in the Develop Persona). Using presets would mean having to manually open files, one by one - which is the most time-consuming part.

You're correct that there is no macro support in the Develop Persona.

However, you can open RAW files via File > New Batch Job, and batch jobs support macros. That's part of what that topic is suggesting.

This approach has some issues. The photos will probably open darker than you want, and may have other aspects you won't like, as the Develop process during Batch doesn't perform all the standard Assistant actions that happen when you open them manually. But it can be done, and possibly, depending on your needs, camera, photos, and willingness to experiment, might even be done successfully. You would probably want to export them from the batch job as TIFF or PNG files, then reopen them in Photo via File > Open.

Probably, though, one should use a different program for batch developing of RAW photos.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 minutes ago, hifred said:

This is false info. There's no batch processing for RAW files in Affinity Photo (no Macro support ...

stapelverarb1.jpg.aa3de3adca8e20e6c14fc83fcf6598c9.jpg

stapelverarb2.jpg.f3487265ecb475475f34a6698c6b15ab.jpg

Batchprocessing two NEF files and let AP applying the B&W macro on these, the result are two B&W jpg files from those NEFs as indicated.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks for the clarification @walt.farell. I had assumed, that the OP wanted to do what one most typically  would expect from batch processing RAWs.

That's certainly not bringing RAWs unprocessed into the Layer based workspace (by circumventing the RAW processor) as suggested by @v_kyr. I frankly did not even consider this option - for me batch processing RAWs would mean working on the RAW data.

Another often expected characteristics of batch processing RAWs is, that the same settings may get transferred to hundreds of files - within seconds. That's entirely impossible as well, with Affinity Photo.

16 minutes ago, hifred said:

One typical and often expected characteristics of batch processing RAWs is, that the same settings may get transferred to hundreds of files - within seconds.

No chance here, there is no setable & reusable settings option when batch processing RAWs in AP, also macros aren't of much help here, further processing will take it's time. 

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

10 hours ago, hifred said:

That's certainly not bringing RAWs unprocessed into the Layer based workspace (by circumventing the RAW processor) as suggested by @v_kyr. I frankly did not even consider this option - for me batch processing RAWs would mean working on the RAW data.

I think you misunderstood what @v_kyr meant. As mentioned in the Batch jobs help topic, "Raw files will be automatically developed, and both the exported file format and image dimensions are configurable." This does not circumvent the RAW processor, the problems are the process is quite slow & as @walt.farrell mentioned, you don't get all the all the Assistant actions that you get when you open them manually.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

"Raw files will be automatically developed, and both the exported file format and image dimensions are configurable."

Yeah maybe, but one very often doesn't even want to write an incompletely processed, static image, which no longer holds the original data set and editable settings. Batch processing is often understood as a common starting point for further individual, per frame corrections - on the RAW data and inside the RAW editor.

Besides being extremely slow, any batch processing on RAWs currently is inevitable lossy with Affinity.

20 minutes ago, hifred said:

any batch processing on RAWs currently is inevitable lossy with Affinity.

Developing any RAW image & exporting it to a different file format is lossy in any app that can do that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

Developing any RAW image & exporting it to a different file format is lossy in any app that can do that. 

While this is not correct in the case of PSD (as it can embed all supported RAW files, along with their settings), I spoke of batch developing without saving to an image. Development yes, image none.

Develop settings in that case are written to a little text based sidecar file, or alternatively to a database - that's why the process may run so fast.

4 minutes ago, hifred said:

Develop settings in that case are written to a little text based sidecar file, or alternatively to a database.

But that does not export the RAW file to a different file format.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, hifred said:

That, as stated before is often not desireable -  and not what anyone in this thread asked for.

Perhaps go back & reread what the OP asked for ...? :35_thinking:

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Perhaps go back & reread what the OP asked for ...? 

I think did read carefully enough. Batch developing (without exporting images) means nothing else but applying the same edits (quote) to any number of RAW files.

How about trying this all out yourself (outside of Affinity) instead of just talking about it?

Or at least look at the attached gif: The sequence of actions here:

• Select RAWs for processing and use one of them to establish a global correction. It could be hundreds if you want.
  • Select one of the images to perform a correction (I only increase blacks here)
  • select all frames and click synchronize
  • One typically may choose, what settings are transferred, which is more flexible than running a Macro
  • On pressing "Done" selected modifications to the appearance are stored in a dataset associated with the RAW file (either sidecar or database). The RAWs remains unaltered, no images get output. But you can preview all manipulations in the DAM and get an indicator that the file was processed. All changes are re-editable, on single files or on any new selection of multiple files.

sync.gif

4 hours ago, hifred said:

I think did read carefully enough. Batch developing (without exporting images) means nothing else but applying the same edits (quote) to any number of RAW files.

Ins't it obvious to you that the OP is asking about what can be done in Affinity Photo? 

Affinity Photo 

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Ins't it obvious to you that the OP is asking about what can be done in Affinity Photo?

Yes, it is.

Therefore the most helpful answer is to tell him that this functionality isn't available and that it can't get substituted either. So I did.

I will stop here, have nice day.

7 minutes ago, hifred said:

Therefore the most helpful answer is to tell him that this functionality isn't available and that it can't get substituted either.

The most helpful answer was the one @v_kyr posted. That's the one you said was "false info," which is not helpful because that is incorrect.

Affinity Photo 

22 minutes ago, hifred said:

It is painful to see how stubbornly you refuse good arguments. I should have been smarter.

Good arguments do not rely on incorrect info.

Affinity Photo