You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity -range : Guides issues desktop

Just downloaded the latest updates.

Still no progress on the Guides issues throughout the entire Affinity desktop range :

> Lockable/unlockable guides
> Pull down/up/change position on the fly, regardless of tool being used.
   Having to switch to the Move tool each time you want to alter something, adding,removing,changeing position is
  frankly not very user-friendly and very disruptive in the working process.

> Showing guides right up to the ruler ribbons V&H.
   As it stands now, one has to click on a guide to see where it ends up at the ruler, running the chance of changing its position.
   Screenclutter is not a valid excuse: a toggle on/off shortcutkey should take care of that.

> Custom color by user -so that guides will contrast with what's being worked on.

Too bad this hasn't been taken care of, the more so since in one of the earlier Publisher updates 2 of these issues had been taken care of.
They were removed again from a subsequent update, WHY ?????

The above issues make me think the feature request user-input on these issues has been in vain over the years.
Or maybe the devs lack some experience with every-day practical use of the apps ??
It is all very well to think something up theoretically, but everyday practice often turns out to be very different.

Sorry to say I find it very disappointing.

C.L.

38 minutes ago, catlover said:

> Lockable/unlockable guides

I agree we need this.

38 minutes ago, catlover said:

> Pull down/up/change position on the fly, regardless of tool being used.
   Having to switch to the Move tool each time you want to alter something, adding,removing,changeing position is
  frankly not very user-friendly and very disruptive in the working process.

I use the guides as snapping candidates and so I do not want to be able to move them with other tools, brushes shape tools and just doing a selection.

41 minutes ago, catlover said:

> Showing guides right up to the ruler ribbons V&H.
   As it stands now, one has to click on a guide to see where it ends up at the ruler, running the chance of changing its position.
   Screenclutter is not a valid excuse: a toggle on/off shortcutkey should take care of that.

I just check with the Guides manager, it is far more accurate than reading the ruler but I have no real objection to this suggestion. A valid request and I am surprised it needs to be asked for.

42 minutes ago, catlover said:

> Custom color by user -so that guides will contrast with what's being worked on.

Yes to this one as well.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi catlover,
Thanks for your feedback. As you know there was some changes regarding guide/rulers in the latest betas.
As far as I'm aware this is how things stand/should work for now:

Lockable/unlockable guides
Lock/unlock option was removed. This is because the only tool "able" to accidentally move them on canvas is the Move Tool. Since guides are quite thin it's unlikely this will happen frequently by accident.

Pull down/up/change position on the fly, regardless of tool being used.
You can already use any tool to edit guide's position: the Move Tool is the only one able to edit them on canvas directly. For all the others you can edit the guide's position dragging it over the Rulers area.

Showing guides right up to the ruler ribbons V&H.
All the latest betas clearly show the guide's position over the rulers - notice the blue marks over the rulers in the screenshot below

guides_marks_rulers.png.e3b253da00b5e6ce19a8c5a99bc344f0.png

Custom color by user -so that guides will contrast with what's being worked on.
Yes, there's room for improvement here. I will pass this to the dev team.

Hope this clears things a little.

9 minutes ago, MEB said:

Lockable/unlockable guides
- lock/unlock option was removed. This is because the only tool "able" to accidentally move them on canvas is the Move Tool. Since guides are quite thin it's unlikely this will happen frequently by accident.

Pull down/up/change position on the fly, regardless of tool being used.
- you can already use any tool to edit guide's position: the Move Tool is the only one able to edit them on canvas directly. For all the others you can edit the guide's position dragging it over the Rulers area.

While I tend to think also that the old solution was better, if you are going to stick with this, suggest at least that there be a preference added if nothing else that prevents the move tool from being able to move them on the canvas either, so they can only be adjusted in guides manager and by dragging along the rulers.

Thanks, MEB,

No need to apolgize : that's why I put the smileys.

You're right, the position is marked by a little line - hadn't noticed that, sorry.

Pull down new guides etc. on the fly with any tool: No such luck.
I tried changeing position in Photo while using the paintbrush. The brush changes to an arrow shape (move tool ??) but I cannot change position
while within the ruler-ribbon. Am I doing this wrong ?

Please also see fde101's comment above : My point Touching a guide (with any tool)  means moving a guide, even if it's ever so slightly, it's simply unavoidable.

Therefore : good old plain lock/unlock still works the best i.m.o.

This post also ends my moaning about the guides. Sorry to see I don't seem to be able to convince the powers that be on this issue.

24 minutes ago, catlover said:

I tried changeing position in Photo while using the paintbrush. The brush changes to an arrow shape (move tool ??) but I cannot change position
while within the ruler-ribbon. Am I doing this wrong ?

Very few tools will change to the double arrow with a bar " <-|-> " while on the ruler, shape drawing tools (rectangle, eclipse, triangle etc) the gradient tool (but oddly not the flood fill tool) will allow me to move the guides. None of the various flavours of brush tools will though which is a little weird in my mind.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi catlover,
I'm checking the pull guides issue in Designer and Publisher with the dev team. There was a few changes here and I do not know what's the intended behaviour now regarding pulling down guides with other tools other than the Move Tool.

The points I mentioned above are for Designer and Publisher. Affinity Photo didn't receive all changes. You should at least be able to edit guide's position over the ruler's area with the vector based tools. Again, I'm raising these inconsistencies with the dev team as I don't know if they are intentional or not.