You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is AP a good choice for "creative editors"

Well, AP is a very good for DAW/photographer/"enhancer" editors and people like that... and its also a quiet good choice for "fast editors"... on so on.

But if you really get want to become "creative", maybe abstrakt... you see very fast the borders of it. Not really borders, but in such cases AP get very, very uncomfortable.

Lets compare FREE!!! Krita Brushes handling and the AP-"concept"" In FREE!!!! Krita - Painting is a JOY!  In AP its (with best translation) just a JOB!  Often an annoyence.! Its not possibly to draw in AP with fun! 

Well, both apps paints very well -IF you have the needed brsuh you want! In AP its soooooo wide-windowed to get the "next" brush you need, or to just erase... In FREE!!! Krita, this is a "happy flow"....  To get currently a brush is in Krita a flow, "... there is no POSSIBILITY fore right-click = fast change of category-brushes/last use... no my fast access to standard-brushes... NOTHING of them, all the FREE Krita offers! 

Too create a new brush-tip or textures... in Krita you can load the current layer or the current buffer to the tip/texture you want! In AP you need to save that file and then to navigate to it... What a 1986 behavir! In Krita you can create as many varitions of this tip/texture as you want... and the whole brush-monolith will mabe grow up 1 KB! In AP the "userbrush" will grow extrem. EVEN if you delete a category, theis file will mostly grow up, instead shrink! Well, most Terrabyte-HDD user... dosent matter, but for SSD-user and its small space... thats important! 

The brsuh-handling and all, what is associated to this... Its in (free) Krita 10-times better than in AP! Each aspect: From organize/show the brush... to faster access... to "variation" this brush.... to responsibility/pressure... The (free) Krita  blames AP completely! COMPLETELY, on EACH POINT! 

Krita is a horror, if you want to text! Krita "text" is completely unusable/or just for masochits... THIS is really a big disadvantege... But however, if had known BEFORE AP, i had decision for Krita first and maybe never buied AP and its grandpa-concept of brsuhing... So i have/use both... 

-------

What i really want to say: Neither AP nor Krita is my "choice of toys"! For JUST PAINTER Krita is maybe he best in 2019. For just clean" Develeoper(resize/cut/blend-if... ) photographer, well, AP is the best choice..

For all People between... There is no GENERAL decision: Both apps are very good for its "native" field. AP tryes to be a "All-in-one" and it solve this circle before "getting creative"  more/less well. 

Its focussed more to RAW than to be creative! 

If you miss a possibility - its in AP mostly aviable, but yes, often via extrem discomfort!

On the other hand: Krita is focussed to its main-feature: Brsuhing as most comfortable! But if you try an outside one...

Krita is TOTAL free! AP cost 50€, but its most pennys worth! Especially for Photographer/RAW-people. For creative-user... there is already no better "one in all"!  But for just painters: Krita, Krita and again KRita... This free app, blames the "professional" app-dev/conceptor complete, how to handle/organize/accsess/present... a brush!

PS is a little bit behind, AP is its own, very poor league, others are between, but Krita saves the first place (again) others are between and AP fights in the looser-area.... 

For all other aspects AP is quite useful "creative" tool, but for brushing... its really 1999 instead 2019 or even 2029...

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

You can have different brush nozzles on each brush in AP. Their brushes have as much customization as I would expect for a PS like program, and then do respond to pressure. They also have the mixing brush which I've been very happy with. You can make custom categories for the brushes you use most, and I'm very happy with the set of brushes that have already been included.

As for your other points, I can agree that AP should have some option for creating a brush or texture out of an in-app selection instead of exporting, and maybe seeing brushes in a grid of thumbnails instead of a list as well as a "last used brush" like you said.

So if all you want to do is paint, then Krita may be better but AP (and AD) are in many ways all-purpose tools for a variety of uses. I would never dream if putting together a photo collage or something in Krita. Also it is not nearly as easy or flexible to create and use Masks in Krita.

sig2.png.950594012af1a9c5582236e0a457cd0a.pngsig1.png.975f263a1c12b5aec3f87a4541eb33ef.png

Illustrator, Designer, 3D Modeller (In that order) - Open for commissions - Check out my art Instagram or follow me on twitter or like my Facebook page. Phew! 

ArtRage, Sketchbook, Krita ... etc. looks like all of these seem to follow a similar UI usage metaphor for painting.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 10:28 PM, v_kyr said:

ArtRage, Sketchbook, Krita ... etc. looks like all of these seem to follow a similar UI usage metaphor for painting.

Yeah even with such behavior, that a "mouse-down" is running the suspecting action, instead the "mosue-off"... What kind of spoilsport! In AP you need the regular mouse, for capture a "do it". Krita?Co are usable with just your tablet! Thats high-suspect!

----

New (AP-beta) 1.7.0110 allows to use existing brushes as sub-brushes, per drag/drop... This is really helpful!

But it does not change anything on the very old "i´m am in flow" behavior... where i want my "favorite brushes" as right-click-avaiable in a better overview, than Serif offers... If i am painting, i do not want this always...go the hamburger, switch down... selct a category... and see just (maybe) 20 brushes (as long-stroke) with no other help what this brush is maybe doing... In KRITA i see: this is a knife, this a long-repeater, this is an variation.... I can sort my maybe 100 favorites... in one category and "catalogized" with an short-cut-image....  and i can switch between all on EACH point in the canvas, simple by RC.... In AP i have to move to the panel...then hamburger... then select a brush.... maybe you do not really "brush"- so you will not understood, but i do it a lot and this "wide-window" anywhere with a all extra-steps... to get i want... (or even to NOT see what is active/this non-preview....) its a very big retrograde-step, to smart "brush-apps". 

Even PS offers a "brush-tool-box" by right-click in a VIEW you prefer.... Just in SERIF you need so many steps/mouseway/clicks... to change a brush.... But however, you can now, "crop" in any comfort and flavor  you wish... yes, most time working on a picture --- i crop and crop and crop, sometimes 227849 times or maybe more...., so this fix is #01 .... of course!

Other guys works on pictures, instead just to crop, crop, crop... in the best possible way...even with brushes?????..... but maybe we are too are seldom... no USP for such muddle-heads????

Who wants to  edit an photo, maybe in a "strange way"? Even with brushes??? Its completely suspect, if people like that...! Why do you not crop and crop? Brushing/texting/elementing.... is only for <moderated>... 

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!