You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all, I have a question on quick mask (have watched the affinity video on that). Once I select the area that I need to work on and did the changes I want, how can I work on the other area of the photo/canvas outside of the selection? In other words how can I work indipendently on the selected area and on the rest of the canvas?

You could invert the selection

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

crl + shift + i to invert your selection, so you can quickly swap between working on one section and working on another section.

-----------------------------------------

//the long and annoying way of doing things, although there are a few cases where this method is useful: 

The other option would be to paste what you have selected onto a new layer, then just jump between the two layers. Only annoyance is that you'd need to do crl + shift + o to select just what's on that layer, without going out of bounds. Although this latter solution is probably more complicated in your situation, it can occasionally come in handy (say, for instance, you're painting and want to paint behind something... it's nice to have everything separated out onto individual layers. So I would do crl + j and starting working with two layers)

Just like all other say here: cmd+I or so! But you can also add/subtract... areas you want.. or/and refine... and even save just the selection  for later use...QM is very usable for "fast & dirty ANTI-selections"... "ANTI-selection" cause you do not know what is the selction? Inside ants or the outside anst) The "overlay" or the not-overlay???? 

what i only want whre an inverted-view. For me its opposite-logical to see (in this case) what is the mask. I mean its logical and correct, but for QM i would prefere the other way The "painted" area get green, bläck, orange... whatever the foreground is.

What i mean is an inverted view: its maybe not quick-mask, its a "show-mask"., meaning all "brushed" areas will affected and all other not! Its the same as in QM and its "opposite" logic. Mostls, if QM, i do not want a "free" mask-brushing, i want the opposite, an "indicate all areas" with the foreground, showing me: that just THIS area get overpainted. Its in many cases the Absolut-Opposite of QM, but if you deeper, its maybe the better INVERSEA! Not more, not less! 

Thats indicates that ALL later FX /filters... will just work for the "painted" area... Its not so importand, its just a logical-think: I "MARK" the ares which want to go affected!  Thats the behavior of "quick mask" / "selector" . The "quick-mask" goes the opposite way" it HIDES all areas where the "effect" will NOT performenend- Its in the absolute end the same---  but its completely opposite to my taste of correct (order) "logic". Like the "wrong" After/Before in AP... instead common before/after... In the end, it dosent matter, but it confuses UNNESCARRY!

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

Thanks, I normally do not use short cuts because too difficult to memorize for me. Thus I believe than in this case, like in many others,  the short text at the bottom left of the screen should be more complete in this specific case with commd+I. BTW inverting the selection do seem to invert the overlay that is why I got confused