You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fix RTL for Arabic, Persian and Hebrew languages

25 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

... [Serif] would have to write a text engine from scratch to do it. No doubt they have looked at it and decided it not a priority for them. ...

Serif already writes its own text engine. Which is one reason progress is complicated and involves time, not only for rtl languages, but also for complex ltr languages.

Adobe also has written its own text engine...but even they had to recently incorporate Harfbuzz for the more complex ltr languages.

It's not a small task. Serif will eventually handle some complex ltr and rtl languages.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:13 PM, MEB said:

Hi Amr,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
As said in the original post this is something we do plan to implement but not in the short/medium term. There's still a lot of work in other areas that must be done first, sorry.

Just red this answer now. I was actually a big fan of affinity but after this answer. you should remove this Guy from your team. very strange answer 

2 hours ago, Ahmed Salem said:

you should remove this Guy from your team.

Why?

It's the answer given consistently by all the members of the team.

And it's the answer you do not want to accept.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

RTL support is easy, the problem is languages using these so called complex scripts instead of simple letters. Just stop using this insane stuff and the problem goes away. There is a reason no one is using hieroglyphics today.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

30 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

RTL support is easy, the problem is languages using these so called complex scripts instead of simple letters. Just stop using this insane stuff and the problem goes away. There is a reason no one is using hieroglyphics today.

Your right about Arabic, but Hebrew is not a "complex script" at all.

Well don't take it wrong but I don't think there is a huge market for Hebrew supporting software. But has anyone asked Serif if such simple rtl support would be easier and faster to implement? From a technical look it should be easy when there are no special cases that have to be taken care of.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

2 hours ago, Tia Lapis said:

Are you proposing to tell a few hundred million people to change the way they write? Arabic and derivative alphabets cannot be compared with hieroglyphics. Letters are not pictograms.

For information, the Persian derivative language Tajiki is written in Cyrillic while previously it was written in Perso-Arabic, and then Latin. This change was not particularly welcome at the time.

Meanwhile 'hieroglyphics' are in use today in the form of road signs.

• Staff

@Tia Lapis

There is almost no other way to take this than wrong. Please step away from this thread. You not wanting or seeing the need for something is not a reason to post in any suggestion thread, and to dismiss someone's choice of language is astounding. Do not reply to me, just step away. Thank you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@LondonSquirrel

Sorry our posts crossed. Please don't engage in this subject with @Tia Lapis this is not open for discussion

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff
5 hours ago, Arvyndito Bisma Nugraha said:

I was wondering is it support plugin/some sort of add on in affinity? And how to create it if you know something about it?

Hi,

There is no plugin/add in technology yet no, sorry

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 9:31 AM, YoramS said:

It's an app that works independent of affinity. From what I saw, it also support other software that has the same issue with RTL writing.

Hi,

The app is independent. Published by ArtWayz.

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, ashf said:

According to the VectorStyler web site, information posted today shows that RTL mode is 'still beta'. Fine. I did set the paragraph options to RTL, using a font with RTL characteristics, and other options including language, but the result is not very good. Sure it's RTL, but it's not acceptable for Perso-Arabic except for crosswords. It may work for Hebrew.

1696707541_Screenshot2021-05-14at22_19_01.png.6a4164c1f7a6655f403b10f3e104b16f.png

1 hour ago, LondonSquirrel said:

According to the VectorStyler web site, information posted today shows that RTL mode is 'still beta'. Fine. I did set the paragraph options to RTL, using a font with RTL characteristics, and other options including language, but the result is not very good. Sure it's RTL, but it's not acceptable for Perso-Arabic except for crosswords. It may work for Hebrew.

Actually RTL support was requested just a month ago. and it's already implemented though it's not solid yet.
Unbelievable speed of development, isn't it?
If you're interested in it, just report a problem or request a change on their forum.
Often they will  implement them within in a month.

7 hours ago, ashf said:

VectorStyler now starts supporting RTL.
https://www.vectorstyler.com/

7 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

1696707541_Screenshot2021-05-14at22_19_01.png.6a4164c1f7a6655f403b10f3e104b16f.png

I tested RTL Fixer by ArtWayz in VectorStyler with Hebrew and Arabic and it worked. I just needed to add the app name to the app list that RTL Fixer need to interact.

arabic and hebrew working on vectorstyler.png

9 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Some script or language specific OpenType features must be enabled in the Typography panel: here it looks like the Medial Forms from the Contextual group were not enabled.