Jump to content
Amr

Fix RTL for Arabic Language

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Glicky said:

Bt"w, in my opinion it's worth to hire programmers only for this purpose. it's a 100 percent guarantee they will get back the money (With large percentages) very fast, taking in mind  that they are opening the way for new hundreds of thousands of graphic designers (and maybe millions over the time) who can't work without this supports.

 

Agree, actually I'm planning to find an engineer who is specialist in Asian language processing to introduce to Serif.
Otherwise Serif seems to have no idea how to handle Asian languages.
Many of problems related to Asian language are being ignored by support in this forum probably because they can't handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ashf said:

But I don't understand why Affinity doesn't support Chinese/Japanese properly even though it has UI in those languages.

As far i know, there is no Chinese/Japanese UI in Affinity.

Bt"w, i'm not sure if we need a completely Arabic/Hebrew/etc UI, we just need that the English version should supports RTL. (My work is usually in English, its simply sucks whenever I have mixed words from other languages).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is why Adobe is dominating the industries - supporting non-Latin languages perfectly.
Not just because they are a giant.

Ignoring non-Latin is huge mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ashf said:

Ignoring non-Latin is huge mistake.

The problem is that Affinity don't realize that full language support is the most necessary thing for a program to be successful. they thinking "first let's upgrade the program with nice and big features that will compete Adobe, and then we will start to think about language support". but people gets upset when they see that the program doesn't really supports their language needs :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Glicky said:

The problem is that Affinity don't realize that full language support is the most necessary thing for a program to be successful. they thinking "first let's upgrade the program with nice and big features that will compete Adobe, and then we will start to think about language support". but people gets upset when they see that the program doesn't really supports their language needs :( 

Yes, except Photo, the feature most needed in Affinity is typography especially for small businesses.
People create shelf talkers, flyers, brochures, catalogs, food menus and such, mainly text.
Without typography, what can they do?
Nothing.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Davinci Resolve which is fast growing video editing app has text direction option on the title effect which is non-Latin capable.
(Refer attached picture)

Though Davinci Resolve is still not the standard video editing app like Avid or Adobe in Hollywood, an Indian user says it's the standard in India(AKA Bollywoord)

India has population of 1.3 billion which is almost equal to China, while USA has only 3 million.
Also big video productions in Hollywood does not care about the cost, so many of them will probably keep using Avid/Adobe.
But this will be changed once Davinci Resolve become world's standard. like Android OS.

Don't you think the situation is the same as Serif and Adobe in graphics app industry?

DR-text-direction.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2019 at 12:01 PM, ashf said:

I'm planning to find an engineer who is specialist in Asian language processing to introduce to Serif.
Otherwise Serif seems to have no idea how to handle Asian languages.

ashf:

Have you actually made some personal contact with a affinity about this subject? if so, what was the response?

(i'm curious if they are planning to work on language-support in the short time, see this post: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/89446-tutorials/&tab=comments#comment-495370 )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Glicky said:

Have you actually made some personal contact with a affinity about this subject? if so, what was the response?

 

Not yet, we are communicating with the chief of PR department John Atkin but he's taking off for a while.
Soon  someone from our group is going to visit Serif headquarter to interview with them to promote Affinity in Japan.
And we'll discuss with them directly about the development plan.



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I mentioned here, Serif really shouldn't ignore Japanese users.
It seems that they are big part of Affinity user base.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ashf said:

Not yet, we are communicating with the chief of PR department John Atkin but he's taking off for a while.
 Soon  someone from our group is going to visit Serif headquarter to interview with them to promote Affinity in Japan.
And we'll discuss with them directly about the development plan.

Thanks for the information...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Patrick Connor
Thanks Patrick, almost all of publications in Japan have opposite page direction including comics and picture books, so even if without vertical writing support, we still need this format ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 3:13 PM, MEB said:

Hi Amr,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
As said in the original post this is something we do plan to implement but not in the short/medium term. There's still a lot of work in other areas that must be done first, sorry.

Hi MEB,
will you support RTL languages (Arabic for example) any time soon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, coral said:

will you support RTL languages (Arabic for example) any time soon?

It sounds from their answers that Affinity couldn't care less about all their customers who needs RTL support for productive work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Glicky said:

It sounds from their answers that Affinity could care less about all their customers who needs RTL support for productive work.

 

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Alfred said:

 

 

Funniest routine I've heard in a while, Alfred!


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I came up with temporary solution.
Someone on Twitter achieved vertical text by creating custom font.
This can be applicable to rtl languages.(in similar way)
First, you create horizontally filliped font using a font creator software.
Then use that font on a text frame then flip the text frame horizontally.
Voila!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Alfred, isn't "care" a word like "communicate": as you can not NOT communicate you could not NOT care in the way that even if you don't react you do express (communicate) something, for instance ignorance. Since ignorance isn't the 'most less' possible behavior towards someone a scale of care doesn't necessarily end at 0 but can be negative, too. Aggression for instance is kind of negative care. So care actually has no end in both directions of its scale and even can flip from + to –, when I care very very much. Too much care will move my care to less than not caring. As this post ;)

 


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, thomaso said:

@Alfred, isn't "care" a word like "communicate": as you can not NOT communicate you could not NOT care in the way that even if you don't react you do express (communicate) something, for instance ignorance. Since ignorance isn't the 'most less' possible behavior towards someone a scale of care doesn't necessarily end at 0 but can be negative, too. Aggression for instance is kind of negative care. So care actually has no end in both directions of its scale and even can flip from + to –, when I care very very much. Too much care will move my care to less than not caring. As this post ;)

Excuse me while I wait for my head to stop spinning! :S


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×