You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Editable Dropline Effect

Well done! I learned a new trick with the alignment panel! Your accent is lovely and your English is just fine. Your voice is very deep so it was a bit difficult to make out what you were saying in a couple of spots and I had to really concentrate, but I'm hearing impaired so that's my problem :) If you were to do more tutorials, I'd personally be appreciative of text in your videos but I thought you did a great job!

Welcome to the forum kx08.
That's a nice video. Maybe a tiny bit slow-paced for me personally but otherwise absolutely fine.
Some videos move way too fast and the viewer has to keep skipping back - or, at least, I do - but yours is easy to follow so, if I was you, I wouldn't worry too much about the speed.
As Pariah73 said, your English is easily understandable and everything was explained well with no major steps missing.

One small tip: Your next video might benefit from your working from a basic script. Nothing too fancy, just a set of bullet points reminding you what to do next so the flow isn't interrupted. And, if you wanted to give yourself more work, these bullet points could then also be added as text to the video - at the relevant places - to give the viewer another way of seeing what is happening (but that's not necessary).

On a related note, are you aware that you can achieve the same sort of effect, with fewer layers, by using an exported slice in a bitmap fill?
The result isn't as crisp as using pure vectors, and changing the fill colour requires more work (adding a Recolour adjustment), but it's probably fine for most purposes.

Anyway, all-in-all, a good video showing various functions and techniques which can also be used elsewhere.

Thank you for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. 

For future tutorials I am going to create a script beforehand since I noticed that I am breaking the flow or trailing off trying to think the appropriate English word or expression (I haven't practiced spoken English in almost 15 years). I will also try to learn a bit about audio editing to make my voice more crisp and maybe get a better microphone. Also learning to add subtitles is also in my to do list (I know almost nothing about video editing).

Thanks again.

I like your video. I think you got good advice and that you have a good plan for the next videos.
When I look for a video, I prefere those that aren't to long. When they are more than 5 minutes, I'll look for another. But that's me.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

@kx08 I have known some people whose first - and only - language was English and they didn't speak it as well as you, so don't worry too much about that.
I would be interested to know which software you decide on using for the subtitles. I have looked at a few applications for this sort of thing but they all seem a bit too complicated for what I want to do.
As for the length of the video, that really depends on who you expect your audience to be. There is no 'best length' for a tutorial. Sometimes I just want to quickly see the basic work-flow so I can try it for myself. On the other hand, sometimes I prefer to hear the presenter go through their whole decision-making process as it gives me more information about why something was done rather than just how. Often, the 'why' can be much more informative than the 'how'. The manual tells you how you can do it, but experience tells you why you should do it a certain way.
Also, don't be afraid to leave mistakes in the video, as long as you correct them. Seeing how someone recovers from a problem can often be just as informative as watching them do something right.

@GarryP Thanks for the encouragement.

For the subtitles I am currently trying software out. Davinci resolve studio (free) seems to be the most powerful but it is quite complicated and I don't need most of its features since I am not doing any color grading or stuff like that. The easiest software that gets the job done I have tried so far is Camtasia but it is pricey (about $250). I also tried openshot but it kept crushing. Those are the ones I have tried so far.