You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Complex selections in Affinity Photo

I hesitate to post in this august place, but I think one of my selection techniques has  not been explicitly described before.. This video is aimed at real world outdoor photography which is often taken under less than ideal conditions; and where we need to cheat because there was not a camera there when we wanted one..

This image is a composite. It was constructed in Affinity Photo.

The video is a workflow demonstration - it is not good enough to be called a tutorial.
Outdoor activities can often be difficult to photograph. My pastime is sailing, and I now have a motorboat. It is surprisingly difficult to get images of your own boat at sea. So you have to use what you can beg, borrow, or steal. 
The video is about using a photo taken by a friend, taken from a moving platform(another boat) under less than ideal weather conditions. We take the image and transform it so it can be used in an entirely different context.
I have used three techniques described in official Serif Affinity videos by James Ritson. They are
"Bringing Out Water Detail" <a href="https://vimeo.com/202899215" rel="noreferrer nofollow">vimeo.com/202899215</a>
"HDR from one exposure" <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar6CZvfyFvk&feature=youtu.be" rel="noreferrer nofollow">www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar6CZvfyFvk&feature=youtu.be</a>
"Making Images Pop"  <a href="https://vimeo.com/178575803" rel="noreferrer nofollow">vimeo.com/178575803</a>

The first part of the video deals with enhancing the basic image, including two different applications of tone mapping.
The second part deals with four different approaches to selection, to deal with different aspects of the image and how to combine them. 

I have not seen the use of the pen tool to create fine detail precise selections before, but maybe I did not look far enough. So far as I know, it is a first. 

The same problems apply to a lot of outdoor activities including windsurfing, climbing, motocross, horse riding. Wherever there is equipment, wild background, fine details (such as reins or ropes) then complex selection  may be needed so you can blag an exciting picture.

Please view