You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Replace Color Tool

This tool is extremely important for photographers, such as product photographers like myself, who need to select a color and replace it with another, specific, color (throughout the entire image). 

At least 6 people on this forum thread are in need of this tool, 7 if you include me

Affinity Photo has a tool for replacing color known as "Color Replacement Brush Tool". However, this tool is not the most useful for some tasks. For instance, what if you want to replace all blue hues in an image with red? Or say you want to adjust the saturation of a specific color in the image (rather than just using HSL, which doesn't let you dial in what specific color you want to affect.. say, for instance, you have an orange color that you want to affect. Or maybe a slightly red-orange color. HSL does not let you target those colors) 

I have been responding to questions on this thread right here for some time now, where a user was looking for a tool to replace color. The only solution that we've found is a lengthy workaround that involves select -> select color and then attempting to use HSL to get the desired color. However, it's near impossible to do this method with precision, and it's hard to tell just how the feathering looks when you're doing select -> select sampled color.

This is what people are asking for: a filter or something like that by which you can use an eye dropper (or choose to enter in your own hexadecimal value) as the target. Then, you can change that selected color by using either HSL sliders or by entering in your own hexadecimal value. This is how Photoshop did it (and this was by far one of my favorite features of Photoshop that Affinity Photo lacks): 

Image result for replace color dialogue

Relative to the incredibly difficult features that the devs at Affinity Photo implement, I think such a replace color dialog would be rather easy? Half of it is already programmed in the "Select --> select sampled color" tool. The other half would be making that incredibly useful mask preview and adding the color replacement part. 

I would be incredibly appreciative if this features was added. I am already a huge fan of Affinity Photo -- I think it does a lot of things better than Photoshop (coming from a person who used Photoshop for 7 years). However, the lack of this tool drives me and others absolutely insane. Thank you for all of your work thus far on Affinity Photo, and thank you for reading through my post!

P.S. No, the color replacement brush tool is not what we need. It's handy in some cases, but for a lot of people, it's a huge hassle compared to Photoshop's "replace color". For others, "replace color" is just about an absolute necessity.

• 9 months later...

I agree with this. It's a serious flaw in Affinity when you can't easily replace a colour within an image. In a rival such as Photoshop you can eg, recolour an entire car flawlessly with a single click of a button. This seriously limits Affinity's abilities.

3 hours ago, Alfinity said:

I agree with this. It's a serious flaw in Affinity when you can't easily replace a colour within an image. In a rival such as Photoshop you can eg, recolour an entire car flawlessly with a single click of a button. This seriously limits Affinity's abilities.

Indeed. Fortunately, Affinity Photo has since added a tool that somewhat fills the need for this tool:

Still, i'm missing the target color field, as in "tweak the settings so that this color matches this target color precisely". It's the big colored box next to "Color: " in Photoshop.

This wouldn't be all that hard to program. All Affinity photo needs to do is take the average color of what the HSL tool is selecting (after the user has used the picker tool and whatnot), and find what hue, saturation, and lightness tweaks are needed to have the average color match the target. I'm not sure if that's how Photoshop implemented it, but whatever the case, this method should work. (This is just a workaround the fact that, if you were to force all lightness values to perfectly match the target lightness value, you wouldn't have an image left. So, instead, you have the average lightness value of what's selected equal the target lightness value)

Anyways, i'm 80% satisfied now that they've added this ^_^ I would love if they'd continue working on this tool, though. It has great potential.

• 3 months later...

I am new to this forum (2feb) and to affinity-foto (13jan). I enjoyed learning affinity-foto, until i found there is no 'replace color' tool (like in ps). I see it is missing since long. If there is no affinity-replace-color tool i will (must) return to photoshop. 

3 hours ago, Kazoebber said:

I am new to this forum (2feb) and to affinity-foto (13jan). I enjoyed learning affinity-foto, until i found there is no 'replace color' tool (like in ps). I see it is missing since long. If there is no affinity-replace-color tool i will (must) return to photoshop. 

The crl + u menu does essentially the same thing now for most people. They've added this feature in response to user feedback. Is there something with the Photoshop replace color tool that you use? Main two advantages of Photoshop replace color are the preview window and the fact that you can enter the exact hexadecimal of the intended result color. Aside from that though they achieve the same thing. 

9 hours ago, Kazoebber said:

Many thanks !!  I can now continue with Affinity Photo.

Pls allow me one last question : i miss the center-point in the crop tool. (did not find in the options)

I agree. 

Affinity Photo doesn't seem to have this yet. Crl should make any transformation set its origin to center, but it's missing in a few tools. Namely, the crop tool and the circle/square marquee tools are missing it.

I've made a post about this exact thing a few days ago. You can comment on it to bump it back to the top of recent posts so the devs see: 

Pls allow me one last question : i miss the center-point in the crop tool. (did not find in the options)

2. I am not so young and not so good with English. I do not know how to "comment on it" , but tell them i am fully with you.

7 minutes ago, fde101 said:

He means reply to it, just like you replied to this...

<pedant> that... </pedant> [slightly snarky smiley face emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, Kazoebber said:

2. I am not so young and not so good with English. I do not know how to "comment on it" , but tell them i am fully with you.

Comment and reply mean the same thing. This is how you comment/reply on it: