You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HELP! Artboard won't export bleeds properly to .pdf

Hello!  I am having issues with Affinity Designer not exporting the crop marks properly on a booklet I'm trying to send to print.  The bleeds are not working properly.  Each finished page is 7" x 10" and I am trying to export bleeds and crop marks at .125" around each edge.  I tried transforming each page to 7.25 x 10.25 thinking maybe I had to take account of the bleeds in the page size, but that didn't seem to work either.  I made sure to 'include bleeds' when exporting.

I am on a tight timeline to send to print and I am unable to fix this myself.  Is anyone able to help?

As far as I can tell in your uploaded PDF there are no bleeds or crop marks included at all. I'm not sure what pages you are referring to when you say that some have proper bleeds and crop marks.

If you are sure that your Bleeds are set up in Document Settings and that Include Bleed and Include Printer Marks are checked in your export settings, then there should be no reason why your PDF should not include these marks. 

sig2.png.950594012af1a9c5582236e0a457cd0a.pngsig1.png.975f263a1c12b5aec3f87a4541eb33ef.png

Illustrator, Designer, 3D Modeller (In that order) - Open for commissions - Check out my art Instagram or follow me on twitter or like my Facebook page. Phew! 

13 minutes ago, Patrick C said:

As far as I can tell in your uploaded PDF there are no bleeds or crop marks included at all. I'm not sure what pages you are referring to when you say that some have proper bleeds and crop marks.

If you are sure that your Bleeds are set up in Document Settings and that Include Bleed and Include Printer Marks are checked in your export settings, then there should be no reason why your PDF should not include these marks. 

I exported it again making sure the bleeds and crop marks were included.  I also deselected "downsample images" because it wasn't on the window you posted.  Some of the pages are cropped properly but some of them crop the right side but not the left (area circled in red).  I'm reattaching the entire pdf file as well.

Screenshot 2019-02-01 13.41.53.png

LITH_brochure_Version_Final_01.31.pdf

7 minutes ago, MikeW said:

It would be best with the file. If you do not want it public, feel free to upload a file to dropbox or the like and send a private message with a download link. 

Mike 

I uploaded the entire file above.  Thank you!

13 hours ago, chelcod said:

Some of the pages are cropped properly but some of them crop the right side but not the left (area circled in red).

I have not downloaded anything so this is just a guess, but is it possible that in the pages like the one in your screenshot, the items on the left don't extend all the way to the left edge of the page (which I assume to be an artboard) & so there is a white strip from the background or whatever that is the width of the left bleed filling that area?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 6 months later...

I just went through a similar issue. For some reason part of the layer that was going outside of the artboard area into the bleed area did not show on the exported pdf.
I had to create new document, copy / paste all layers and then export worked as expected.

Cheers,
e.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Same issue! Really frustrating as there is a deadline and I wasn't expecting delay because of a bleed not showing up! File is: 36" x 72" and Bleed is set to 0.5", export bleed is checked in the export options. I tried to create a new file and copied the content in there and still the same situation. And yes, the background does extend to where the bleed is.  Before I had this issue while trying to export from export persona. Now it's not working through the standard export option and export persona.

Tourism_Panel.afdesign

41 minutes ago, stevenbauwens said:

Same issue! Really frustrating as there is a deadline and I wasn't expecting delay because of a bleed not showing up! File is: 36" x 72" and Bleed is set to 0.5", export bleed is checked in the export options. I tried to create a new file and copied the content in there and still the same situation. And yes, the background does extend to where the bleed is.  Before I had this issue while trying to export from export persona. Now it's not working through the standard export option and export persona.

Tourism_Panel.afdesign 733.26 MB · 0 downloads

I'm just downloading the file to have a look.

When I opened your document there were no bleeds set in the document setup.

• Staff

Hi both,

We are aware of an issue where Bleed fails to export if you have Adjustment Layers placed inside artboards. However, the main issue with your document is that you don't have any bleed set up. 

Second, and more related to the document setup and not the actual bleed, why is your document so large? is it nearly 1m x 2m(11100px x 21600px) at 300 DPI...

Hi @chelcod and @Gabe, I guess that's where's a glitch. As I've mentioned, I did set a bleed, see screenshot, where you visually can see the bleed in the document and the bleed settings. I don't know why it shows up otherwise when you download the file.

Another issue I came across is, as you can see on Chelcod's export. There's some weirdness going on. The clearest place is the top right corner, at the word "Merritt". Somehow Designer cuts the background in 2 different files with a different level of brightness. The only way I discovered to fix both issues, I think, was to flatten the entire document. Luckily the printers didn't require layers, but some do. 

@Gabe The reason why it's so large is because it's for a big street panel. Are there maybe size restrictions for Publisher I need to be aware of?

@chelcod Thanks for exporting that!I appreciate the effort. But as mentioned, it still has this weird brightness issue as mentioned. At least now I now that wasn't specific to my software.

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 11.24.37.png

• Staff
13 hours ago, stevenbauwens said:

The reason why it's so large is because it's for a big street panel. Are there maybe size restrictions for Publisher I need to be aware of?

Not really. The size limit is 256000 x 256000 px. Most of the times we see such large documents at large DPI is because "bigger is better", not because one actually needs that point density. 

• 2 weeks later...