You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

8 minutes ago, lettergothic said:

"merge" is the same as "okay"?

NO ! ! Merge means "Join together".

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The best way to preview a filter or modification is to make an Adjustment Layer, which you can then turn on/off or add a Mask to later. 
You can export this to whatever image format without needing to "merge" the layers. In fact, you shouldn't merge them if it isn't necessary! "Merge" is a destructive command as it is permanently changing the underlying image.

If you are setting a filter or something like that, there are little icons in the panel that allow you to create a split view and preview the before/after:

SplitView.png.7979d08721cb61b16cb7af041d08bae7.png

sig2.png.950594012af1a9c5582236e0a457cd0a.pngsig1.png.975f263a1c12b5aec3f87a4541eb33ef.png

Illustrator, Designer, 3D Modeller (In that order) - Open for commissions - Check out my art Instagram or follow me on twitter or like my Facebook page. Phew! 

• Staff

Hi lettergothic,
For Live Filters and Adjustments use the checkbox in front of the filter/adjustment in the layers panel to turn it on/off for preview purposes. Since these are non-destructive there's no Apply button. Simply close the dialog or click somewhere else on the interface and it will disappear. To access the dialog again double-click its thumbnail in the Layers panel.

For destructive filters (from the Filters menu) use the Split and Mirror buttons on the bottom left of the dialog.